Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

43 minutes ago, blaaklint said:

not sure how they've chosen him on the basis of potential when mads has been performing better and is actually a few months younger

basically whoever wrote it had heard of Meslier before this season but not heard of Mads, so on that basis came to the conclusion that Meslier had more potential 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/rutter-out-if-leeds-united-leicester-and-southampton-combined-this-would-be-the-best-xi/#gk-illan-meslier-leeds-united

A combined Leeds, Southampton and Leicester team would be full of Leeds players apparently. 

If only we had their squad :ph34r:

No Winks lol:doh:

No Hermansen :S

Winks, KDH and Ndidi are all better than Ampadu.

Faes and Vestergaard both better than the Leeds player they have in that position.

Striker wise, fair enough, Piroe and Vardy are hard to beat but Armstrong is unlucky there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I tell you what, I don't find the guy funny or particularly entertaining based on this one video I've seen of him. He apparently seems to be friendly with the Sidemen and their mates, but I stopped watching their videos quite a while ago. I think I'm a bit too old for that kind of content.

But I did enjoy getting to see the training ground behind the scenes. And the willingness of the club to engage with YouTubers, including a player, the manager, the physio and the trainer, was actually really brilliant to see. Reaching that audience is actually quite important.

Also the physio in the video is one of life's good guys, really good to see he's still working for the club.

None of it is a bad idea in itself, apart from the fact that the club roll out the red carpet for people who don't give a shit about the club. It's like Thailand all over again. 'Reaching an audience' and selling a few extra shirts is all they give a toss about. They don't care about the people they care most and this is yet another example of this. They close the access of the training ground off to everyone, but if a youtuber turns up they'll let them see all.

The youtuber doesn't give a **** about the club, so why is it a good idea?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, studentofthegame said:

basically whoever wrote it had heard of Meslier before this season but not heard of Mads, so on that basis came to the conclusion that Meslier had more potential 

Yeah. It very much has the feel of an article where he’s just picked the players he’s heard of or the ones who’ve scored a few goals recently 

It’s a bit like a Garth Crooks team of the week. :D

I was, however, reassured that we’ve got the best defence and midfield in the league if this is the competition. The only places I might look at would be in the forward positions, but even there it’s debatable. 

9 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Yeah. It very much has the feel of an article where he’s just picked the players he’s heard of or the ones who’ve scored a few goals recently 

It’s a bit like a Garth Crooks team of the week. :D

I was, however, reassured that we’ve got the best defence and midfield in the league if this is the competition. The only places I might look at would be in the forward positions, but even there it’s debatable. 

I don’t necessarily feel that because we are so much more dominant than Leeds and Southampton, that it means it would be our 11 and case closed. 

But that’s a shocking team with Leeds bias. I would say the left side of defence is weak for us so no issues there. But as you say, other than that, our GK, defence and middle of midfield are out in front.

Our wingers/wide forwards haven’t been bad but Leeds do have some that would get into our side on talent, style and attitude depending (I say attitude as they had some real issues with that before the window shut).

Out and out striker wise, Vardy, Piroe, Armstrong would all be fantastic options in this league. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

None of it is a bad idea in itself, apart from the fact that the club roll out the red carpet for people who don't give a shit about the club. It's like Thailand all over again. 'Reaching an audience' and selling a few extra shirts is all they give a toss about. They don't care about the people they care most and this is yet another example of this. They close the access of the training ground off to everyone, but if a youtuber turns up they'll let them see all.

The youtuber doesn't give a **** about the club, so why is it a good idea?

Fair point I agree that more needs to be done for existing fans. Reducing kit prices would be a start. But it doesn't mean they also can't focus on winning new fans, which is what collaborations with YouTubers like this will do. Plus, there will be a number of existing fans of the club (or also kids with parents who support Leicester) among this guy's subscribers/viewers.

Collaborating with a popular YouTuber while we're out of the Premier League bubble helps keep our name in the psyche of casual football fans. Also, gaining a cult following of sorts may lead to other commercial opportunities. It is a bit cynical and I do agree the general match-going Leicester City fan could be treated with more loyalty and respect, but I also think both things can exist if they get it right.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

No Winks lol:doh:

No Hermansen :S

Winks, KDH and Ndidi are all better than Ampadu.

Faes and Vestergaard both better than the Leeds player they have in that position.

Striker wise, fair enough, Piroe and Vardy are hard to beat but Armstrong is unlucky there.

I think our position proves our players status…

poor pundit,poor article..

• Like 1

https://talksport.com/football/efl/1599954/

Leicester transformed as they top both Championship and WSL tables
Uma Gurav
14th October 2023, 10:00 am
After Leicester City narrowly escaped a double relegation last season, they now sit top of both the EFL and the WSL tables.

Leicester City’s men were relegated from the Premier League last season despite their victory over West Ham on the final day.

It was a disappointing result for a side that had secured a stunning Premier League title just seven years earlier in 2016.

Just a day before their relegation, their female counterparts pulled off an unprecedented WSL comeback as they saved themselves from relegation in their final game with a victory over Brighton.

But those difficult campaigns seem to have been left in the past and both teams have made quite the start to their respective new seasons.

Since the start of the EFL season, Leicester’s men have only suffered one defeat when they were beaten at home 1-0 by Hull.

Their most recent game saw them put three past Preston, as they cemented their place at the top of the EFL table.

After interim boss Dean Smith managed just two wins in eight games to cement the Foxes’ relegation from the Premier League, manager Enzo Maresca was appointed in June 2023 on a three-year-deal.

Maresca is no stranger to success – he was Pep Guardiola’s assistant coach last season as Manchester City won an historic treble.

But the Italian is cautiously optimistic that Leicester’s first season in the Championship in 10 years could turn out to be fantastic.

Maresca told Leicester City’s official website after their win over Preston: “It’s still too early, but we are getting better against this type of team. It’s unbelievable, it’s huge.

“It’s something that I said to the players, it’s not normal. But we are in the right way, heading in the right direction.”

After the international break, Leicester’s men will resume their title campaign against Swansea City on Saturday 21 October.

Meanwhile, Leicester Women are two wins from two in the WSL this season despite narrowly avoiding demotion last time out.

They lost their first nine games under manager Lydia Bedford last season, before former Hibernian manager Willie Kirk was brought in to salvage their season – and salvage it he did.

They picked up all 16 of their final points tally after the change of manager as Kirk spearheaded a remarkable transformation.

They ended the WSL season third bottom of the league – a fantastic result given their dire start to their campaign.

But while Leicester City’s WSL wins this season over newly-promoted Bristol City and struggling Everton are commendable, they are not quite exceptional.

The real test begins on Sunday, October 15 when Leicester Women travel to Leigh Sports Village to face last season’s runners-up Manchester United.

The Red Devils have won one and drawn one in the WSL so far, dropping points in their 2-2 draw to Arsenal when they conceded the equaliser in the third minute of injury.

Victory over Leicester will be of the utmost importance to Manchester United if they wish to sustain their title challenge.

But underdogs Leicester will go into the game feeling encouraged after they pulled off a shock 2-1 win over rising stars Liverpool in the Continental Tyres League Cup group opener.

Midfielder Aimee Palmer scored the opener in their win over Liverpool and she said their recent winning streak was the perfect platform upon which to build their season.

She told Leicester City’s official website: “We’re three from three now and we want to keep that going at the weekend.

“We know that (Manchester United) are a good team, but equally we’ve proven that we’re a very good team, and the opposition will be afraid of us.

“We’re looking forward to the match on Sunday and hopefully get three points there as well.”

They have proven themselves capable of beating teams who finished well above them last season and, if they continue their recent spell of results, could find out that being involved in a title race is infinitely preferable to a relegation battle.

1 hour ago, swansea.independent said:

How do folks. In peace.
Looking forward to next Saturday ? 

Our pre  match on the game, there will be more. 👍

That’s here —> https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61065/swansea-city-face-their-biggest-test-and-michael-duff-is-right-in-the-middle-of-it

Have a safe trip 🙏

455B011D-6A9D-4D05-A19E-CCD1A03F6501.jpeg

Thanks, whats the Swansea thoughts and expectations for your own season? 

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

I think our position proves our players status…

poor pundit,poor article..

It’s your club, not ours, Winks is mentioned. I thought it presented  your club in a good light, especially as most fans of other clubs don’t watch Leicester every week. Look forward to yours 👍

Edited by swansea.independent

7 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Thanks, whats the Swansea thoughts and expectations for your own season? 

It’s a feature on how we see things, so, really we can’t write with the informed reasoning of a true fan Leicester fan.  I would hate see see the response if it was in any way disparaging. 

Swansea ? Mid table with a look at the play offs. Probably put a few noses out of joint on the way. Especially those who still retain some form of entitlement as a fan base. Still love a Melton Mowbray pork pie. But that’s about it. 👍

Edited by swansea.independent
Spelling

6 minutes ago, swansea.independent said:

It’s a feature on how we see things, so, really we can’t write with the informed reasoning of a true fan Leicester fan.  I would hate see see the response if it was in any way disparaging. 

Swansea ? Mid table with a look at the play offs. Probably put a few noses out of joint on the way. Especially those who still retain some form of entitlement as a fan base. Still love a Melton Mowbray pork pie. But that’s about it. 👍

I have no idea where your other comments have come from, it was just a genuine question on how you thougt your own season was going rather than a superiority complex so thanks for the comment on Swansea. 

I think some comments you are responding to are from others and referring to a different article to yours if you read back at what they are quoting? I could be missing something myself of course. :dunno:

Either way, all the best for the rest of the season, except for next weekend of course! :P

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, swansea.independent said:

It’s no biggie. Safe journey to those coming. 

Yeah, he was responding to an earlier article, my friend. Yours was decent and well-written. The one he was referring to focused on a combination of 11 players from Leeds, Southampton, and Leicester, and it was nonsense.

3 hours ago, swansea.independent said:

It’s your club, not ours, Winks is mentioned. I thought it presented  your club in a good light, especially as most fans of other clubs don’t watch Leicester every week. Look forward to yours 👍

I wasn’t answering your pleasant post,but reacting to another one from within our forum,

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/rutter-out-if-leeds-united-leicester-and-southampton-combined-this-would-be-the-best-xi/#gk-illan-meslier-leeds-united

6 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Fair point I agree that more needs to be done for existing fans. Reducing kit prices would be a start. But it doesn't mean they also can't focus on winning new fans, which is what collaborations with YouTubers like this will do. Plus, there will be a number of existing fans of the club (or also kids with parents who support Leicester) among this guy's subscribers/viewers.

Collaborating with a popular YouTuber while we're out of the Premier League bubble helps keep our name in the psyche of casual football fans. Also, gaining a cult following of sorts may lead to other commercial opportunities. It is a bit cynical and I do agree the general match-going Leicester City fan could be treated with more loyalty and respect, but I also think both things can exist if they get it right.

Haha the old "commercial opportunities" trope. We whored the club out in Thailand for over a decade and when we played in the capital about 500 turned up to watch us lol

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Haha the old "commercial opportunities" trope. We whored the club out in Thailand for over a decade and when we played in the capital about 500 turned up to watch us lol

It’s a good,quite interesting point…but the mitigating circumstance,many tourist footballers lead for a few pennies a full working week,they will be spread in Thailand more over Asia over many townships,villages,Cities,where just being able to afford travel can be difficult,for various reasons…

Over the years of travelling,one coincidental point has directly followed me,whether in Africa/Asia/S.America..has been stopping off at villages or small townships,including poor or well off regions….I have never wore on my/our travels a Leicester city shirt..but over the years a more comfortable „Tigers“ shirt…Amazing whether early morning or late evening,Those shirts have been recognised,plus Foxes badges on Backpacks…where then everytime both Rugby and „soccer“ were easy the priority debate..People’s who followed through journals,then shared  Cafe/ village-room/ Cantina, neighbour’s TV regularly or sometimes once a month. The fanatisch,of the game(s) knowledge and debate of PL,through the Championship,including Profi leagues,can be quite amazing..I always had Tigers ,Foxes even other clubs Parafanalia,with me and either shared or gave somethings over to the central „meeting place“. Twice..once in Africa,village in Nigeria,& once in a remote village in Mexico,

I gave over each time the older >Ind coop< shirt, and once in Pakistan on the Karakoram Highway in Soust,to a Military pioneer-unit that over several meets where we gave help,or they returned exchanged favours in different coincidental meets around Balistan. An old but in good condition Tigers shirt, & foxes badges…Because also we found ourselves under the stars, next to a bonfire in their camp discussing Rugby/Football , After /during either their mechanical difficulties,help around a village,after major road landslide( Skardu),or them giving us info map destinations,locations,favourable off-road journeys.Once surprisingly they could help us on a mechanical problem,after many meets where we got them out of a spot…

Here I am just trying to project, the difficulties in other Peoples life,just to get a smidge of a chance to watch…

“Any English football“ Some villagers or soldiers,could talk about a game seen 3-6 months ago.

Put that also against well off Asian/African acquaintances, who live in major cities, in Leicester or around the world,who willingly buy into Sports Pay-TV & have never seen a live European pre-season game in their vicinity or actual league games despite their fanatism  towards the Sport or even individual clubs..

More suprising,some of any of the above mentioned with  historical & upto-Date knowledge could put their live game local supporter peers to the sword,in a pub quiz.

Just saying really..in these tourist-supporters Countries,if only 500 - 1000,can attend a live game with their hero-club,there are 1000s in the same city,who can’t afford it > timewise or financially <  plus 10,000 who are fitting into mentioned criteria or simply too far away,but no less fanatical fans…

Its just a different Animal(s) that give our tourist Pay-tv supporter ,then including the vast unknown-known spread of supporters,who admire, support and follow the sports or clubs from afar.

Some European fans just can’t associate with or understand the screwiest of connections..

Plus top,but unknown UK writers or journalist,that have made their niche & name across a wide scope of foreign regions & countries..Before Social-Media platforms..