Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

17 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Yep - that kind of misses the point really. In 1993 we were playing in the 2nd tier, in front 15000 crowds and a single League Cup win was our only significant honour.

Since then we’ve won 2 League Cups, 1 PL title, 1 FA Cup, played in the Champions League, built a new stadium, doubled the average attendance, got billionaire foreign owners and massively increased our profile across the World.  

Our profile and prominence has dramatically increased, but it was a gradual process over time. We didn’t achieve it all in the summer of 1993. 

So some of these Championship stalwarts need to get it together enough to achieve something and, if they do, more success may follow? If that’s you’re point, I totally agree. 

On 03/10/2023 at 23:28, Jobyfox said:

No doubt if we do manage to go straight back up people will come out with trite cliches like "blessing in disguise" or "tactical retreat". As tactics go it's a bit like blowing your house up with dynamite because it's time for a new kitchen. 

We could, quite possibly, go straight back up, but there is still a significant possibility that we won't. Relegation is something that can cost millions, send clubs out of business or drive them into irrelevance for years.

I will never be happy with such a needless and avoidable relegation. With the right strategies in place the rebuild could have happened in the Premier League. There was never any need to risk everything and it took a great deal of mismanagement at all levels to get us here. 

Highly debatable. We wouldn't have been able to rely on loans to bulk out the squad, and we've spent 50-odd M just to build a championship standard squad.

The 'cliches' you mention would be apt and are phrases that i've been using since spring, and appear to be prophetic - and even if we don't go up we've revitalised the entire club and fanbase, which many people never imagined happening.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Drink Water said:

Let this thread serve as a salt mine and a number count of opponents squealing that their team are giving us too much respect and treating us like Real Madrid. 

All the teams we've been playing recently have been using the exact same phrase, you couldn't write it! 

Preston

image.thumb.png.c35d496f4df9daa597c43f9527f7c16b.png

Stoke City

image.png.d52347fb08b105446070c20dc47dd1a6.png

image.png.29cd6440f339765eefde7612b4b7a34f.png

image.png.9ffc399b4cd4c91241b06e7e48537e6f.png

This lad said Barca, but you get the gist 

"faux cockney" presume that is Matt Elliott lol

pretty sure he's from Enfield 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I feel sympathy for other fans in the division, because let's be honest it has felt like that at times for us in the Premier League when playing against the moneybag clubs. Even worse, in the Premier League you get commentary like in the recent Liverpool game where they ignore the fact that we were even playing.

We are very good, but it's true that it's a piss take that we are in this division. If you ever wondered what would happen if you took a top 10 Premier League team and whacked them in the Championship for a season, well, you are getting your answer.

But at the same time, why are Ipswich schooling the Championship where the likes of Stoke and Norwich aren't? Stoke have a good budget at this level, Norwich signed a lot of experienced players from the Premier League and have a manager that got promoted from this division. So whilst our squad is clearly unfair, a lot of these teams could be doing a lot better.

I remember early in pre-season, well probably when Maresca was appointed given the Man City link, that I find Man City boring and unwatchable. I did caveat it with saying I only really have watched them against us. I recall being told by some of the more pompous lot on here that I don’t know football etc etc.

But I think you cover what I meant at the start of your post. When it is your team playing that way as the dominant force, it is enjoyable. When you are supporting the opponent, it really isn’t! 

5 hours ago, Tuna said:

Always love reading opponents forums, some hilarious shit in there

You should try Millwall’s, North Stand Banter. 
l remember a few years back, they were mocking the stabbing to death of a Policewoman. 
Absolute scum. 

Edited by STEVIE B

The last time I remember playing Preston was when Matty Fryatt scored after 8 seconds or something. We still lost 2-1. 

I have no problem with Stoke. Their fans are just miserable due to the fall from grace. From Bojan and Nzonzi to this shower must hurt to watch.