Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester 'set to become one of UK's top stag do locations'

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-set-become-one-uks-8974419?fbclid=IwAR1pX34vE_5Z9Ok2D9vq2UCni-mJ9BmKYkqGX3HwUhKpt5k4IGhUNeN5XmQ

The city has a 'great curry culture' and plenty more going for it according to experts

ByLee GarrettReporter
05:23, 16 DEC 2023

Enter your postcode for local news and info

Experts say Leicester has plenty of potential for stag dos (Image: andresr)

Leicester is on course to become one of the top stag do hotspots in the UK, according to experts. They say the city has much to offer for husbands-to-be and their pals, including a “great curry culture”.

The findings come from stag planning company StagWeb.co.uk, which used AI to find the best locations for future parties. It came up with a list of the 10 UK cities that were on the up when it came to stag destinations. Leicester came in at number four.

Jon Stainer, the company's creative director, said: “We’re always on the lookout for the next wave of stag cities and towns, and Leicester is one that we’ve been considering for some time.”

Factors taken into consideration included nightlife activities and places to eat, as well as suitable things for stag parties to do. The AI highlighted both Leicester City and Leicester Tigers as options for fun activities, as well as the city's rich history.

It concluded: “With a diverse nightlife and plenty of activities (like sports events and historical tours), Leicester could appeal to stag parties looking for a mix of entertainment.” Leicester came fourth behind the Scottish trio of Aberdeen, Dundee and Inverness.

Mr Stainer added: “In terms of population, Leicester is bigger than a lot of the UK destinations we offer currently, so it definitely has the capacity to host a big weekend away. It’s got some cracking pubs, a great curry culture, a rugby team and a football team, plus a whole host of activities to keep the guys entertained.”

The full top 10 list is as follows:

Aberdeen
Dundee
Inverness
Leicester
Milton Keynes
Stirling
Sunderland
Wolverhampton
Canterbury
Coventry

Seriously, Milton Keynes?

Apart from the Bletchley Park and many roundabouts, didn't see much there when visited there a couple of years ago.

Am surprised the likes of Liverpool, Oxford, York and Cambridge aren't mentioned.

Just now, Wymsey said:

Seriously, Milton Keynes?

Apart from the Bletchley Park and many roundabouts, didn't see much there when visited there a couple of years ago.

Am surprised the likes of Liverpool, Oxford, York and Cambridge aren't mentioned.

It’s a piss take 

• Like 1

The findings come from stag planning company StagWeb.co.uk, which used AI to find the best locations for future parties. It came up with a list of the 10 UK cities that were on the up when it came to stag destinations. Leicester came in at number four.

Or in other words, the 10 UK cities that are currently under-achieving in attracting such parties.

I think there is potential there with sports events and possible  activities (archery? virtual reality-rides in the space centre?)  Perhaps convert Highcross centre into the nation's biggest escape room? ;) But I can't see a huge demand based on curry houses, given many other cities like Brum, London and Glasgow already have curry rep. 

19 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Tbh, the city could do with more honked up curry and fights than we’ve been used to 

Was pretty regular walking back to St. Margaret's from my late HMV shifts in 2006. One thing I've noticed about the city's nightlife is how few "incidents" there are now compared to how it used to be. The famous "Leicester's the place" episode of Booze Britain seems like a different time to now.

13 minutes ago, Mike the Metal Ed said:

Was pretty regular walking back to St. Margaret's from my late HMV shifts in 2006. One thing I've noticed about the city's nightlife is how few "incidents" there are now compared to how it used to be. The famous "Leicester's the place" episode of Booze Britain seems like a different time to now.

I think this is because of the diversity in the city now - we have a massively diverse city centre, where it is not in people's culture to binge drink as much as say 20 years ago. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/leicester-nightlife-capital-uk-outspends-8984800

Leicester is 'nightlife capital of UK' as it outspends London on nights out
Leicester city centre has much to offer for a good night out

ByAnna Wise, PALee GarrettReporter
12:44, 19 DEC 2023

Leicester is the nightlife capital of the UK according to new data. The honour has seen the city beat off stiff competition from London and Liverpool.

The findings were revealed in new data from digital bank Monzo which has compiled UK-wide stats for its ‘Year in Monzo’ feature which has been dubbed the banking equivalent of Spotify’s Wrapped service for most-played songs in a year. It has found some interesting spending patterns across the UK in 2023.

The biggest - and perhaps most surprising - is that according to Monzo, Leicester has come out on top for nightlife spending. The city boasts the most late-night spending on entertainment in the UK, surpassing the likes of London, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool.

The news may be a surprise to many, but Leicester does have plenty going for it on the nightlife front from top nightclubs including Mosh and Firebug and a host of pubs and bars to satisfy anyone’s needs. There are even a number of axe throwing venues for those looking to spend their nights in a slightly different way.

The spending title may have seen Leicester beat Liverpool, but the Merseyside city also had something to celebrate. According to Monzo, Liverpool spent more than anywhere else on late-night food between 11pm and 4am. Those in the capital loved visiting the golden arches of McDonald’s more than anyone else, with Londoners getting a Maccies more frequently after dark than anyone else in the UK.

Leicester’s nightlife win comes just days after the city was tipped to become one of the UK’s stag do hotspots. According to industry experts, the city’s “curry culture” and excellent entertainment options, including Leicester City and the Leicester Tigers, made it a future top destination for would-be stags looking for a fun night out.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sly said:

Is someone trying to promote Leicester here? 

Leicester is a honking night out! 

Joking aside, does the younger demographic even bother drinking like we we did back in the day? 

If you magnified St Martin's by about x5, it'd be a lovely night out. 

But there are barely enough punters to fill St Martin's as it is. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sly said:

Is someone trying to promote Leicester here? 

Leicester is a honking night out! 

Joking aside, does the younger demographic even bother drinking like we we did back in the day? 

Don't think most youngsters do nowadays. Judging by my household anyway. 

Step kids are 22, 17 and 15.

The older 2 will have a drink now and again, but not much.

The younger one nearly shat herself the other night when I offered her a small can of Koppaberg.

It's great that they're like that though, certainly don't have to worry about them injecting heroin into their eyeballs.

We're pretty easy going, so they've always had the option to have a drink at home if they'd like.

Don't have a problem with the older 2 having their long term partners stay over at ours either.

That way, they don't have to make up elaborate stories to do it anyway.

But yeah, basically the younger generation are proper boring fvckers now lol

Theyd probably go on a stag do to Coventry. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Don't think most youngsters do nowadays. Judging by my household anyway. 

Step kids are 22, 17 and 15.

The older 2 will have a drink now and again, but not much.

The younger one nearly shat herself the other night when I offered her a small can of Koppaberg.

It's great that they're like that though, certainly don't have to worry about them injecting heroin into their eyeballs.

We're pretty easy going, so they've always had the option to have a drink at home if they'd like.

Don't have a problem with the older 2 having their long term partners stay over at ours either.

That way, they don't have to make up elaborate stories to do it anyway.

But yeah, basically the younger generation are proper boring fvckers now lol

Theyd probably go on a stag do to Coventry. 

They may drink less, but my impression is that younger folk are more adventurous when it comes to weekends away. Cyprus, Dubai or even New York.

Agreed. Kids wanna be rich kids now. In my day, I took pride in getting a holiday to Rhodes, flight, transfer, 2 weeks accom for 300 quid. Basic as. 

Now they want luxury villas. They club together and rent a cool.airbnb for a few days and libe like they are a rockstar. Fair play. The days of roughing it seem to be gone. They do a line if they have to have more then three or four drinks. Our generation could sling down drinks from 6pm til 2am without so much as a paracetamol.