Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City January transfer business 'quite clear' with players already mulling over futures

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-january-transfer-business-9000520

Enzo Maresca gives his thoughts on the transfer window with just a few days to go until clubs can conduct deals in and out, with movement expected at the King Power Stadium

ByJordan Blackwell
07:00, 28 DEC 2023UPDATED07:23, 28 DEC 2023

Enzo Maresca knows what Leicester City need in the January transfer window and expects some members of his squad are already thinking about their futures ahead of the market reopening.

Maresca has held meetings with the City recruitment team over the business that could be done next month and says he is clear in the areas his team needs strengthening. He has previously hinted he would like a left-footed defender, while City could also resume their hunt for an attacking midfielder after a move for Manchester City’s James McAtee fell through at the end of the summer, the England Under-21 international joining Sheffield United instead,

But the City boss has previously said that for any deals to be conducted, players must leave first. As things stand, all 25 spots in City’s permitted squad are filled.

Maresca believes there are players at City who will be looking to leave when January arrives, and are thinking about their futures. However, he says no player is yet to discuss their desire to leave with him, and neither does he want them to do so until the new year, as the club’s Championship fixtures are the focus right now.

e
He said: “In this moment, I don’t want them to think about January, even if they are probably thinking already about January, some of them, because it’s normal. We’ll see in January if some of them are coming to ask to leave, we’ll see how we can find solutions for them and also for us.

“The only thing I can say is that, for us, the situation is quite clear in terms of the January market. We know as a club what we need. We’ll see.”

January business can be tough, as City have found. At the start of this year, City brought in Victor Kristiansen, Harry Souttar, and Tete, but the trio were the club’s first permanent winter signings for five years, since the acquisition of Fousseni Diabate in 2018.

It’s not unusual for City to go through the whole month without any players leaving or arriving. Maresca added that if he was to begin February with the exact same squad he currently has, he would be “100 per cent” satisfied.

I’d be surprised if Ward and Iversen don’t leave… and then Praet.. maybe Ndidi if he gets a great offer.. he won’t want to join a relegation battle… and of course Nacho.

This actually could end up being our busiest January for a long time..

Edited by MPH

39 minutes ago, MPH said:

I’d be surprised if Ward and Iversen don’t leave… and then Praet.. maybe Ndidi if he gets a great offer.. he won’t want to join a relegation battle… and of course Nacho.

This actually could end up being our busiest January for a long time..

I think we’re stuck with Ward until his contract is up. He’d be happy being tenth choice if he could 

Edited by BroughtonFox
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

There’s so many players that I could still see leaving, either through contract running out, not good enough, not wanted or some development loans

Souttar, Praet, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Daka, Smithies, Ward, Iversen, Albrighton, Madivadua, Braybrooke, Alves.

It’s not usually a buyers market in Jan but if teams come to us I think they could get some pretty good deals. In terms of who I think we need to bring in I think a left footed defender, an 8, then a winger or striker depending on who leaves. 

Ward, Iversen, Albrighton, Praet and Kelechi could all feasibly leave, either on loan or permanently. 

Iversen will likely want out as he seems to want to play football. I'd like to think Albrighton would as well, but he's probably happy to collect his wages, the same as the remaining 3 in that list.

• Like 1

Don't think any of the players involved in international football will leave. Few will want to buy and have them out and we will want to avoid uncertainty of dealing late. I.e. we want to have the squad places freed up before we pursue our targets.

So yeah, probably Praet and one of our goalkeepers and maybe a loan move for Wanya.

I think Ward will need to play somewhere if he wants to start for Wales. The problem is his contract & whether he is prepared to take a pay cut to get a move. I'm pretty certain Leicester would listen to any offer that came in..

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

Have a horrible feeling someone will come in with a good offer for KDH.

Would be nice to see Ward, Iversen, Praet and Nacho gone.

How long left on Ward's contract?

He's happy enough 3rd choice, and not playing, on his relegation-reduced wages. They'll be back up to 100% if/when we get promoted. I doubt anyone else would even match his wages for this season!

6 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Have a horrible feeling someone will come in with a good offer for KDH.

Would be nice to see Ward, Iversen, Praet and Nacho gone.

Would need to be more then good, his contracted too 2027.

I don't we would even blink for the amount we sold Barnes for.