Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jobyfox

Luke Thomas

It’s being reported that Sheffield United are sending him back and that Leeds are thinking of coming in for him.

When he first came into the side I thought he looked steady, but not spectacular. You couldn’t really say that he did anything that would make him a standout, but he didn’t let us down - particularly during the injury crisis and FA Cup run. 

Last season I thought he was awful. He seemed to just defend in no man’s land. Neither tackling his appointment or defending the ball. He was bad even amongst a lot of players playing well below their best.  

So I don’t rate him, but still would have mixed feelings about us selling to Leeds. Despite our current lead over them I’m unsure I’d want to do anything to help them 

https://motleedsnews.com/comment/leeds-united-transfer-news-daniel-farke-to-get-third-swing-at-luke-thomas-as-sheffield-united-set-to-send-him-back-to-leicester/

Edited by Jobyfox
Link

15 minutes ago, nathan. said:

Leicester and Luke are going in different directions.

No chance he gets anywhere near our side.

He needs to move. 

Agreed - I’m just not bothered about doing business with Leeds.

It would actually be good to get some cash for him, but for what fee? I’d like £5m, but would probably take £3m 

Don't mind him going Leeds. Over the past season and a half with us and Sheffield United he's been terrible. 

If he went Leeds it won't strengthen them one bit, plus barring a collapse Leeds are no longer a worry anyway

I think by far and away his best attribute is his passing. In Enzo's system I think he could do okay inverting into midfield from the left. But there remains a question mark over his defensive positioning at left-back.

Either he comes back, throws himself into things in training and learns what the manager wants him do. Or he goes either this month or in the summer.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Contract up in the summer but we'd get a fee at tribunal if we offered him a new deal on similar terms. I think a few million + sell on is the correct move if offered.

I don't get the vitriol on Luke Thomas at all. He's an academy graduate, a Leicester fan and was instrumental in our FA Cup win. There were one or two other exceptional performances too, but he's stagnated here and doesn't fit the system.

I wish him all the best. 

I believe we have an option to extend his contract

• Like 1

Maresca keeps talk8ng about wanting another left sided defender. 

it’s all about where our priorities are for the team and what needs strengthening the most I guess.. if Maresca  needs a no.8 badly and a striker/ winger then it might be worth keeping hold of him  until the summer to cover for a few games.. we get a solid offer, then sell, but bare in mind some of our finances will then have to be spent on a left sided defender… and Luke is near the end of his contract so we might not get his full values worth and tribunals never give a true players value…

40 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I trust Enzo to make the right decision , if he thinks Luke can make the grade then I'm good with that . Maybe, just maybe he's playing in the wrong position.

Nacho replacement?

I have always liked Thomas and think he gets unwarranted abuse due to being an academy player.

Also, do not underestimate the Rodgers effect. We have seen players such as Ndidi and Vestergard look great this season and Daka has looked much better. There is a theme and that theme is Rodgers. 

That said, I’m not sure Thomas would be suited to this system. He seems more of an out and out left back but I may be wrong. It makes the Sheff Utd move an odd one as he was being played as a wing back before Wilder has come back and dropped him for Lowe. As well as that, they were always going to be cannon fodder this season.

If Maresca feels he could be adapted, I’d welcome him back. If not, he must need to make a sensible move to a club with a decent coach who will play him in his strongest position and get his confidence back. I don’t buy that he will fall down the leagues as someone above said but he may need to take a step back to go forwards again. 

9 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

some people want to see academy players fail. proper weirdos. 

I don't think they want to see them fail. We all want academy players to succeed 

With Thomas though, he's simply just not at the level we are currently at or aspire to be.

He's not the best defensively and offers very little going forward. 

Sheff united fans have also come to the conclusion of many Leicester fans that's he's simply not good enough 

It's best for both Luke and Leicester for him to move on and hopefully he can carve out a successful career elsewhere.

Ah the curious tale of young Luke.

if I think about his best moments at Leicester he was actually quite good. However like many pointed out he’s struggled more than he’s succeeded.

lets see if Enzo and his staff can work some magic with him. If they can’t improve home no one can. He’s a good lad though despite his issues let’s not be mean to him he’s still young & learning.

He’s a good player who has had inconsistent moments that come as a young player, as well as playing the majority under a coach who was largely responsible for our down slide. He doesn’t really fit into our very effective system, so I hope he finds a new club that suits him.

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Contract up in the summer but we'd get a fee at tribunal if we offered him a new deal on similar terms. I think a few million + sell on is the correct move if offered.

I don't get the vitriol on Luke Thomas at all. He's an academy graduate, a Leicester fan and was instrumental in our FA Cup win. There were one or two other exceptional performances too, but he's stagnated here and doesn't fit the system.

I wish him all the best. 

one thing that gets overlooked is that often he had Barnes in front of him not putting in the slightest bit of effort helping defend and he often had 2 men to deal with. the clearest example of that was the 1st goal forest scored in the 4-1 fa cup match.

doesn't fit with what Enzo wants though so sell him anywhere for me

• Like 2