Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Things you never see anymore

When you think about it why would anyone hitch hike in the 60s/70s/80s. At least now you  can send your location to loved ones and take a pic of the number plate. Back then the technology to track people's steps didn't exist. 

3 hours ago, Koke said:

When you think about it why would anyone hitch hike in the 60s/70s/80s. At least now you  can send your location to loved ones and take a pic of the number plate. Back then the technology to track people's steps didn't exist. 

All I did was hitchhike in the 80s, travelled all around the UK. Had a tent, slept rough, saw things for free. I how many abductions took place? I’m betting next to none.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Daggers said:

All I did was hitchhike in the 80s, travelled all around the UK. Had a tent, slept rough, saw things for free. I how many abductions took place? I’m betting next to none.

Same... Main mode of transport all around the UK, Europe and the Midle East.

24 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Same... Main mode of transport all around the UK, Europe and the Midle East.

Gives you a whole new take on people, eh. You only ever get to meet those with some kindness in them - even if some have some weird opinions 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Different story for women. I take your point though.

2 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Gives you a whole new take on people, eh. You only ever get to meet those with some kindness in them - even if some have some weird opinions 😁

Definitely. I still pick up anybody I see and often go out of my way to drop them somewhere safe.

Wife not very happy once when I arrived home with three chinese students to feed, water and wash :D

Also, hitchhiking abroad gives an insight into how much of a superiority complex Brits have when you meet the kindest and most humble people (who we've often treated very badly in the past) and they offer you their home...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

But it's a different  story for women whatever they do, hitchhiking is no different. I met quite a few solo women hitchers on my travels and many more in pairs/groups, although most were interailing or similar.

Hi-Tec trainers

Old English Sheepdogs

People playing dominoes in pubs (or anywhere)

People playing cribbage come to think of it

Comb-overs, as in the classic slap-head Charlton efforts

Pint mugs with a handle

Shake and Vac

Proper punks (pink mohawk, chains, leather, bovver-boots and all that)

Agricultural football pitches such as you see on the Big Match Revisited

Advocaat

Black Magic selection boxes for nans

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koke said:

My Brother and I used to hitch to matches and we also hitched up to the Doncaster area where couple of young ladies in the same flats building had some friends they got there a couple hours before us. More appealing I guess:P Also did a similar run up to the Lake district where they were from.

They had no problems at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CockneyKneesUp said:

Hi-Tec trainers

Old English Sheepdogs

People playing cribbage come to think of it

Comb-overs, as in the classic slap-head Charlton efforts

Pint mugs with a handle

Shake and Vac

Advocaat

Black Magic selection boxes for nans

I have a bottle of advocaat in my fridge right now and surely they still sell Black Magic no?

3 hours ago, CockneyKneesUp said:

Old English Sheepdogs

Pint mugs with a handle

Advocaat

Can’t speak to the rest, but I see all of these. 

There’s two dogs in the village, I play dominoes as a drinking game, handled glasses at pubs I go to, punks everywhere, non-league pitches couldn’t be more agricultural, and we’ve just had Xmas - didn’t you see the shelves of Advocaat?

On 22/01/2024 at 12:10, Tommy G said:

Agree with this, also 18-25yr olds these days aren't as bothred about boozing unlike 10-20+ years ago, many are tee total or reducing their intake, this will contriute to the pub culture too. 

The age group you refer to now pre-load and drink more at home before going out to late night bars. The pub is becoming less of a venue for the 20 somethings, unless they go as a group to watch a football match.

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Come to think of it; the insurance man.

I also recall the rent man and the fella who emptied the electricy meter.

Those last two were often walking around the estate collecting and must have been carrying a small fortune about their person

I'd completely forgotten the insurance man ever existed

10 hours ago, Daggers said:

Spot on - and I find it a sad development that hitching seems to be dying out, at least in this country.

During my 20s, I hitched a lot around England and France, a bit around Scotland, Ireland and Spain, then extended jaunts around Aus and NZ (+ 1 ride in Nicaragua).

Got picked up by young and old; male and female (though more male - except in NZ); rich and poor; diverse Christians and atheists; communists and racists; hippies, farmers, truckers, tradespeople, salespeople, businesspeople; swanky cars and wrecks, even a truckload of lumber and a trailer-load of sheep....

As you say, probably the one thing that 99% had in common was some kindness for / interest in others, though some just wanted some company or an audience for their views (which was fine by me, as part of the deal).

Out of many hundreds of rides, possibly over a thousand, there are only 3 hairy episodes that I can remember:

- The young French blokes who pretended they had a knife and demanded my grape--picking earnings (which I'd been naive enough to mention)...but I called their bluff, they never produced a knife and let me out as we passed through a town.

- The middle-aged French bloke who suddenly asked me if I minded if he masturbated while driving (:blink:). I said I preferred him not to do so, he agreed but it ended up as a philosophical debate about free will, before he dropped me off safely. lol

- A pair of blokes in Aus who picked me up, the passenger (a Scottish hitcher) apparently high on drugs and the driver swigging cans of beer as he drove, overtaking one-handed at 70mph. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1