Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Things you never see anymore

2 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Pogs were the nail in the coffin for conkers.

*Edit*

Also, Pogs....

Pogs? Are they the kind of star shaped things that kids used to chuck on the ground to try to get a bigger score than a rival player?

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

Pogs? Are they the kind of star shaped things that kids used to chuck on the ground to try to get a bigger score than a rival player?

Yeah, sling a plastic slammer at cardboard circles with pictures of any old shite printed on them.  Was a form of gambling at Highcliffe as whichever ones got flipped over were yours to keep.

17 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Tax discs

Floppy discs

Those plastic clacker things you put on the spokes of your bicycle.

Jedward

I've still got some here - great for playing MS-DOS based games like Duke Nukem on very old pcs equipped with floppy drives and operating on Win 3.1 or Win 95. 

On 25/01/2024 at 19:59, Zear0 said:

Yeah, sling a plastic slammer at cardboard circles with pictures of any old shite printed on them.  Was a form of gambling at Highcliffe as whichever ones got flipped over were yours to keep.

My primary school days 

On 24/01/2024 at 12:45, Blarmy said:

I’m not sure if kids “play” any more in the sense that I did when I was young. I live with an 8 year old and he plays the odd board game with us but other than that it’s TV, YouTube and video games (and not even that much of that). He plays football but no other outdoor activities at all. He can’t even ride a bike and isn’t interested in learning. 

I used to be out playing non-stop, and if I wasn’t I was playing, drawing, building models etc.

All about them screens these days. I spend my spare time more productively than he does, despite having way less than him and being 50 years old. I think it’s a shame. 

It's clearly the adults in this poor kids life failing him right now....

On 25/01/2024 at 18:43, davieG said:

image.png.7dda91547e8a046fbab98b603d495e50.png

I believe the company is still around apparently on Oakland Road.

It used to be on Queens Rd when I went to Avenue Road Junior School.

There was a lad in my class who told me he Dad was the manager there, he took me there one lunchtime and we strolled in and went to this office where he sat in the office chair like he owned the place on the way out he said help yourself to a drink and he got a bottle opened out that he'd taken from the office, we sat outside on some crates and drank the pop.

Later on in the year I found out he had made it all up and his Dad didn't even work there.lol

Nice story 😂

I went to Avenue 70’s and 80’s

Hoyes on the junction of Bulwer Road…. Remember it well…

8 minutes ago, Raj said:

Manual chokes on cars.

Had nightmares  about my Talbot Samba stalling at lights without the choke fully on🤣

I had one too. Nice cars, although I didn't like having the spare wheel mounted directly above the engine.   

17 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I had one too. Nice cars, although I didn't like having the spare wheel mounted directly above the engine.   

I hated mine!!

Still gives me nightmares 30 years on!!!

Literally having to pull over to clear out the carburetor  with a wire🤣🤣