Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Stolarczyk : Reminiscing of Shilton Days

4 hours ago, KingsX said:

Commands his box and makes good saves.  He has value.

Bournemouth, though, he was constantly hoofing it long instead of even thinking about playing it out against pressure.

Which is sometimes the right choice.  The problem is, it’s his default setting, while being the last thing the manager wants.

We’ll sell him to a Champ or L1 club this summer.

I wouldn't say he was constantly hoofing it long at all. A lot more than we're used to from Hermansen, sure, but he's not as good a passer, he didn't have Winks (or Ricardo in the first half) always making himself available like we've become used to and we were playing against a much better team than we have all season apart from Liverpool. The winner came from a move started by him playing a risky pass under pressure.

I would be very surprised if we sold him. If we go up we'll have more than enough work to do on the squad without adding a backup keeper to the list. Stolarczyk has proved himself a capable deputy and Enzo evidently has little to no faith in either Ward or Iversen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

I think the lad could be an absolutely top keeper. I won’t say world class, but he has many incredible attributes. Time will tell, but I don’t think we need to be looking for a new keeper. 

I remember reading, before I had really heard of him, that the club think he might be a 'generational talent'.  

This was a year or two ago and I have searched in vain to find the quote online so I can't be entirely certain that I didn't dream it.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, westernpark said:

Nah, it’s him and Hermansen for next season, regardless of our division. 

Is it the best use of resources to have Stolarczyk inactive apart from cup games for an entire season?  If the club believes he has a chance to be the #1 guy long-term (which I think he's good enough to justify) it probably makes more sense to loan him out to a Championship side where he can prove himself as a #1.  In fact even if they're so committed to Mads that nothing Stolarczyk does will change their mind, his sale value goes up if he proves himself as an every-game keeper at a high level.

Pus, the kid wants to play, not watch.  It's better for him if he can do that.

As a traditional goalkeeper he’s great, I.e, keeping the ball out of the net.

The modern keeper though, has to be comfortable with the ball at his feet. Unfortunately Stolarkzyk isn’t, so I don’t see a long term future for him with us. 

Unless he improves drastically, I don’t see him ever having a run of games in the first team, unless Harmensen gets a long term injury. 

With our FFP situation, we didn’t spend £££££s if we had a potential solution in the squad. 

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Is it the best use of resources to have Stolarczyk inactive apart from cup games for an entire season?  If the club believes he has a chance to be the #1 guy long-term (which I think he's good enough to justify) it probably makes more sense to loan him out to a Championship side where he can prove himself as a #1.  In fact even if they're so committed to Mads that nothing Stolarczyk does will change their mind, his sale value goes up if he proves himself as an every-game keeper at a high level.

Pus, the kid wants to play, not watch.  It's better for him if he can do that.

I think money will be so tight next year, that we will need to ensure that he is our second choice keeper, rather than signing a Danny Ward type on inflated wages. 

5 hours ago, Sly said:

As a traditional goalkeeper he’s great, I.e, keeping the ball out of the net.

The modern keeper though, has to be comfortable with the ball at his feet. Unfortunately Stolarkzyk isn’t, so I don’t see a long term future for him with us. 

Unless he improves drastically, I don’t see him ever having a run of games in the first team, unless Harmensen gets a long term injury. 

With our FFP situation, we didn’t spend £££££s if we had a potential solution in the squad. 

He's got good passing ability, unlike iversen for example, he's just not as calm on the ball as someone like Hermansen. This can be improved with age and experience.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, urban fox said:

Difference being Shilton would catch the corners or crosses rather than punch them. That said all keepers seem to prefer to punch than catch these days.

Sorry to correct you on this but enough fantastic photos,videos,(snapshots in games) where you will see both Banks & Shilton punching..

There was even at the time who was the best puncher,Shilton,Clemence,Jennings,

Bob Wilson ( Arsenal) ,plus some top european GKs…

This was at the peake maybe of my watching,following time for city,though I really started my fanatic time with Gillies being appointed manager..

This also coincided with my highest & best participant era of my own sports history.

At Tigers,some other RFCs,and Athletes,clubs there were cross discusions

on reaction time..Cricket, Slip catching=Gk great saves…

Lacrosse=Aussie Football=Hurling..

Then hights achieved in jumping..GK-punches=Rugby line outs without lifters.

Then various obvious  Athlete disciplines,even Profi water polo GKs

In some stats at the time Shilton came out on top…

Dont underestimated the past history and present of techniches of GK-punching.

Again great GK legends,going back to the 50s..world more open info to stats

from the 60s..Yashin,Banks,Shilton,Clemence etc

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Doubt it, highly thought of in the club even before Enzo arrived.

That's part of my point ... BEFORE Enzo arrived.

I can only base this on Bournemouth (and Liverpool) because Enzo hasn’t played him against other sides comparable to what we will likely face next year.  Bournemouth had as much of the ball as we did.  That had a lot to do with Stolarczyk.  Usually hoofing it when facing pressure; and going long with too many hopeful balls when he wasn’t.  The ball was coming right back at us after the majority of those.  That is NOT Enzoball.  And we’ll be clearing the decks of guys who can’t or won’t play it.

Maybe that would have been different if he had our top XI to pass to?  Maybe.

Granted, we’ll have higher priorities than replacing our #2 keeper.  But it’s hard to see him getting action in the Prem.

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

I can only base this on Bournemouth (and Liverpool) because Enzo hasn’t played him against other sides comparable to what we will likely face next year.  Bournemouth had as much of the ball as we did.  That had a lot to do with Stolarczyk.  Usually hoofing it when facing pressure; and going long with too many hopeful balls when he wasn’t.  The ball was coming right back at us after the majority of those.  That is NOT Enzoball.  And we’ll be clearing the decks of guys who can’t or won’t play it.

Granted, we’ll have higher priorities than replacing our #2 keeper.  But it’s hard to see him getting action in the Prem.

You are seeing something else to me. Re-watch the goal; Stolarczyk plays a straight pass into Ricardo's feet to start the move. 

He's not as accomplished as Mads but more than capable. 

The ball was come back due to the inability of the midfield and front player to hold the ball under pressure, which changed with Kel and Ricardo came on. 

I personally think Enzo rates him, he's given him every cup game and his league debut when Mads was injured, 

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

Big fault with post

Too detailed without knowing Enzo’s orders and organised tactics

Important… Starsky did more than his job..any errors,no more than Mads,

especially that heartattack pass that Enzo seems to love

GK short pass to nearest defender head of triangle,sometime times through the middle to supposed free midfielder.

Sends fans and commentators into palpitations ,but our Gks, do it everyweek

3-6 times.. 

Thats Enzo

Long/short release or deliveries

Thats Enzo…

Excellent saves,deflect/punch/catch

Thats GKs which Starsky is more than pretty decent,some of his catches

Sometimes so far have been outstanding..

He kept the net empty against Bournemouth..& Birmingham.

I read Enzo’s press statements.  I took note of his mate Balague’s comments on BSLB.  And I watch the games.

So I firmly believe that Enzo will demand the club replace players not suited to his style of football.

And based on his small sample (two games) against PL clubs, I believe Stolarcyzk is one of those not suited, at the level required.

Which doesn’t make him a bad keeper.  My wild guess, he’s at least Championship starter quality.  It just makes me think he can’t be our keeper.

I now rest my case.  For whatever it’s worth.    

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta bump this guy up as one of the positives from yesterday. Absolutely awesome again and doesn't seem overawed by the occasion when called upon.

Cannot stress the importance of having 2 good keepers after last season. My only worry is whether he wants to stick around as definitely good enough to be playing regularly somewhere 

• Like 1

His distribution was excellent yesterday. If that’s the level of improvement to expect when he has weaknesses, we might have a seriously good (and free) keeper on our hands here

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

Gotta bump this guy up as one of the positives from yesterday. Absolutely awesome again and doesn't seem overawed by the occasion when called upon.

Cannot stress the importance of having 2 good keepers after last season. My only worry is whether he wants to stick around as definitely good enough to be playing regularly somewhere 

only problem is, he’ll get some suitors at the end of the season  and might not be happy being no2 for another season if other clubs come sniffing..

plus, I feel like we are going to enter an end of season when every player will have a price tag..

I want him to stay, he’s a cracking player, but can we afford to keep him with some glaring holes in our outfield positions that need filling…

• Like 1

Guest J-FOX

Having Danny Ward at the club is a major problem for Stolarkzyk and even Iverson.

I would place Stolarkzyk and Iverson as 2nd/3rd choice and Ward as never being able to play for us again......

Get rid of Ward, pay off his contract and then ask Stolarkzyk to challenge for the No1 while Iverson stays out on loan.

Danny Ward owes the club a relegation alongside Rodgers........