Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Enzo Maresca frustration boils over as he says 'moment there's doubt about the idea, I will leave'

We do play some exceptional stuff at times.

But the issue for me is the flapping around that leads us to concede opportunities or goals. Or set pieces to which we concede from.

Enjoy what he's trying to do and what's being implemented, but we don't half make life difficult 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Dogshit fans who applauded last season's team off and started fighting people who wanted Rodgers gone, while not celebrating an incredible manager with a ****ing 76% win rate. Genuinely think it's time to implement a basic football knowledge test to get tickets 

I cant help but agree with this. What the **** are people doing. 

5 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Will he? I think the majority (the problem) won't even register what's he's said and the minority (those putting the effort in) will galvanise more hopefully. 

Enough of our fanbase fell for Brendan's post match bullshit which clearly won him patience until the very end. Hence I always wonder what impact him criticising some of the fanbase has because some of them must listen to RL and reading the Mercury etc (or follow those outlets on social media)

This isn't the first time he's made a comment towards the atmosphere and it's not really changed anything. If anything it's got worse. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

Sometimes managers forget that football is not just an emotional connection for fans but it is also, foremost, an entertainment business.

If you have high energy football with high emotion then that beats at every level a lowered emotion through low energy football. If you go back to the 2014-15 season the football was exciting and we lost a good many games, people were engaged at every level. Take this season with a great win ratio its slow and ponderous football and the stadium isn't rocking with the fan base a little bored. 

A main concern for the likes of myself is that this style of play with these players will be crucified week in week out in the EPL. A 10 man backline that is reliant on midfielders scoring the majority of goals will struggle to get beyond the half way line leaving the prospect of a good day out returning a backs to the wall 0-0 draw with some heavy defeats along the way.

• Like 3

Just now, Mickyblueeyes said:

I cant help but agree with this. What the **** are people doing. 

Just as any other promoted club we will struggle next season until the squad adapts and steps up. We do have an excellent team, manager and owner and they all know that you can only play who's infront of you.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Koke said:

Vestergaard, Faes, Daka, Praet, Hamza. Jury is still out on KDH, Mavididi, McAteer, Hermansen.

Brighton are hit and miss team. But when they see a weak defence they score a lot. Likewise with Aston Villa. 

Really? 

Brighton 1 - 1 Burnley 

Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Brighton

Brighton 1 - 1 Sheffield United (!)

Fulham 1 - 1 Brighton

Everton 1 - 1 Brighton 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I am going to criticise him here. 

His point is valid - very valid. 

But as a manager in his position, there is always going to be criticism and pushing it back at the fans is a dangerous tactic. He won't help himself with that. 

10 points clear in your first season at the club. That position?

• Like 3

Just now, FOXSE said:

10 points clear in your first season at the club. That position?

No, more of a general point. Managers are forever subject to criticisms in their role at every club. Someone is always having a pop. 

The line for error by Enzo this season is painfully low with the expectation/favourites tag. 

44 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Agree with him to some extent, but baring in mind the squad he has, and the standard of opposition in comparison,  let's not pretend he's worked miracles.

Reckon we’d be this comfortable in the championship under Rodgers?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bazly said:

Sometimes managers forget that football is not just an emotional connection for fans but it is also, foremost, an entertainment business.

If you have high energy football with high emotion then that beats at every level a lowered emotion through low energy football. If you go back to the 2014-15 season the football was exciting and we lost a good many games, people were engaged at every level. Take this season with a great win ratio its slow and ponderous football and the stadium isn't rocking with the fan base a little bored. 

A main concern for the likes of myself is that this style of play with these players will be crucified week in week out in the EPL. A 10 man backline that is reliant on midfielders scoring the majority of goals will struggle to get beyond the half way line leaving the prospect of a good day out returning a backs to the wall 0-0 draw with some heavy defeats along the way.

In regards to 14/15  you cannot compare the club's first season in the PL in a decade to our first season in the championship in a decade, of course the fans were more up for it than this year. There were also a substantial number of fans calling for Pearson to be replaced at this point in the season despite the brand of football.

3 minutes ago, Munshi said:

Reckon we’d be this comfortable in the championship under Rodgers?

Depends if you mean nearer the end of his reign or earlier on when he had us in Europe and winning the FA Cup?

28 minutes ago, Koke said:

Vestergaard, Faes, Daka, Praet, Hamza. Jury is still out on KDH, Mavididi, McAteer, Hermansen.

Brighton are hit and miss team. But when they see a weak defence they score a lot. Likewise with Aston Villa. 

Vestergaard, Praet and probably Hamza wont be in the squad. 

No sure how you have come to the conclusion on KDH, Mavididi, McAteer, Hermansen. KDH, Mavididi & Hermansen have some of the best stats in the league already with 18 odd games to go. McAteer likely to be a squad player. 

Odd choices to call out. 

• Like 2

Yes, we are storming the Championship as Maresca says, results speak for themselves.  However, he should accept criticism as a manager thats what he is paid to do.  Quite frankly.  Football on show is bloody boring.  Last night Swansea were so ridiculously playing a high line a through ball, (as was played for the first goal would have reaped rewards).  There was ample opportunity to do it, yet we were content to play it sideways and backwards.

Play anyway like we are doing passing across our own 6 yard box, if and when we get back to the premier league, when being pressed by better forwards we will get mullered.

I am reminded of a certain Italian team in the 70s.  Hold onto a 1 0 lead by being overly defensive.  Problem is we cant as has been proven Ipswich home and away and Sheffield Wednesday.

Maresca, as much as I like him, I just get the feeling if a bigger club would come in for him he would be off like a shot.

Edited by suffolk fox
  • Like 2

76% win rate yet people question the manager it's actually beyond belief. 

What do fans actually want? A successful team or that you want to be 'entertained' for full  90+ minutes. If you want the latter please go to a basketball game if you want end to end stuff. I've seen people in crowd just sitting on phones/ipads or talking about TV series..if you don't want to be there. Simply don't go. You are part of the problem.

Modern day football has changed. It's more of a possession based style. Backs against the wall Counter attack football isn't sustainable long term yet some fans have a simple lack of football knowledge and just want us to pump it forward. You can't do that in any league never mind the prem league. It Just give away possession cheaply. It'll hurt you more times than not. 

This season is about getting promoted which we are set on doing yet the fan base are critical. 'It won't work in the premier league'. 'it's boring'. 'We should beat these 5-0', 'we shouldn't be in this league'. There is such a sense of schadenfreude with people now. Happy to see things go wrong as long as they are proved right.

The sense of self entitlement with fans is ridiculous but that's modern day society in general. Enzo is still a young manager, his subs etc he could learn but Enzo is doing a great job yet so many are critical. It's beyond belief.

• Like 2

I would absolutely be ecstatic if Enzo gets us up and stays with us a few years, stabilising in the EPL - a la MON. 

If has us top 10 EPL in the next 3 years then he's a hero, in my eyes. 

Brendan was the absolute best and worst you can get from a manager. It was exciting and exhausting. What we need is the passionate guy who gets on with it, consistently. The more I see of Enzo, the more I get that vibe.

• Like 1

I find this a difficult argument to come down either side.  I disagree that football is just about winning games.  Of course it's a competitive results based industry, and I'm delighted to win games, but I don't go down to the football to tally points or review statistics. If it's just about winning, why do thousands of fans turn up week in, week out to watch their team get battered? For me the real entertainment comes from watching football that excites.  The football we're playing is very effective at winning games but it doesn't get you off your seat very often hence the quiet atmosphere. 

I'm happy to watch us control matches and win games but would like to see us be a bit more adventurous.  I'm not one to grumble and shout "forwards" in the hope we just lump it up (unless it's prime Rodgersball and we're on pass 785 between the centre backs 15 minutes into a match yet still 3-0 down!!) but I do believe with the squad we've got (at full strength) we ought to be able to carve out more dynamic attacking opportunities than we do.  That said we are playing against teams that sit with 11 men behind the ball for 90% of all matches so requires a more scientific way to create chances.

I'm fully behind Enzo and what he's achieving but would be nice every now and again to take the handbrake off a bit.

• Like 3