Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Red 2 - great entertainment. A movie where you know it's all about switching off and enjoying the ride - it does slow down a bit with the action in the second half, though.

Particularly enjoyed Helen Mirren's character and Mary-Louise Parker's performance as Bruce Willis' girlfriend/wife.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I was looking forward to The Darkest Hour, going on Wednesday - already worried about the tube scene. Sounds ludicrous. 

Don't want to put you off, Matt. It has gleaned a lot of good reviews - and I did enjoy it. Worth seeing just to appreciate Oldman's performance.

Maybe I had false expectations. Because it has a serious subject, I suppose that I was expecting a serious drama. But I found it more (good) light entertainment, but with a couple of brilliant acting performances thrown in.

After all, I wouldn't slate The Great Escape for being an unrealistic depiction of the war, I'd just enjoy the entertainment.

25 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Don't want to put you off, Matt. It has gleaned a lot of good reviews - and I did enjoy it. Worth seeing just to appreciate Oldman's performance.

Maybe I had false expectations. Because it has a serious subject, I suppose that I was expecting a serious drama. But I found it more (good) light entertainment, but with a couple of brilliant acting performances thrown in.

After all, I wouldn't slate The Great Escape for being an unrealistic depiction of the war, I'd just enjoy the entertainment.

The review in the MoS last week was almost the same as what you have here, incredible Oldman performance, great film but a couple of ridiculous scenes. 

They gave it 5 stars though. 

Just now, MattP said:

The review in the MoS last week was almost the same as what you have here, incredible Oldman performance, great film but a couple of ridiculous scenes. 

They gave it 5 stars though. 

Maybe I have a future as a MoS journalist, if I cover up my politics? :D

34 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Maybe I have a future as a MoS journalist, if I cover up my politics? :D

The MoS is more leftie these days than the Observer lol

5 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

The wife forced me to watch the worst Bollywood movie last night. They are not normally believable, but this was just ridiculous. And she rented it in SD.

is it one of those movies where the protagonist is in a high speed car chase (using a beat up mazda) , he then shifts the gear up for the 12th time while there is a punching "sound effect" in the background instead of a normal gearbox sound? those are the worst lol

or is it a drama where the MC is stabbed and a few seconds later people pop-up from out of nowhere and start dancing?

Edited by the fox

1 minute ago, the fox said:

is it one of those movies where the protagonist is in a high speed car chase (using a beat up mazda) , he then shifts the gear up for the 12th time while there is a punching "sound effect" in the background instead of a normal gearbox sound? those are the worst lol

or is it a drama where the MC is stabbed and a few seconds later people pop-up from out of nowhere and start dancing?

As far as I could figure out, because the plot line was more of a squiggle than a line, there were two sisters, both needed a dowry to marry, they couldn't afford it, so they enlisted a loan shark, who was in love with one of the sisters. That sister then ran away at the wedding, the other got married... and now the guy owed the loan shark money (or however it worked out). The loan sharks family were annoyed at the girl who ran away, to Singapore, but instead of harassing the family in India, they send the boy to Singapore. The girl then falls in love (again?) with the boy, even though he has been to the police station three times since arriving in Singapore. He goes back to India, and during a prayer ceremony calls his dad out. The girl just so happens to turn up at that very moment and they get married.

There is no way that the loan sharks wouldn't have just broken the knees of the Dad and forced the girl back to India, and then forced her to marry the 'bad' dude. And no way she'd have fallen in love with him as he was a complete asshole. Awful.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

As far as I could figure out, because the plot line was more of a squiggle than a line, there were two sisters, both needed a dowry to marry, they couldn't afford it, so they enlisted a loan shark, who was in love with one of the sisters. That sister then ran away at the wedding, the other got married... and now the guy owed the loan shark money (or however it worked out). The loan sharks family were annoyed at the girl who ran away, to Singapore, but instead of harassing the family in India, they send the boy to Singapore. The girl then falls in love (again?) with the boy, even though he has been to the police station three times since arriving in Singapore. He goes back to India, and during a prayer ceremony calls his dad out. The girl just so happens to turn up at that very moment and they get married.

your wife should buy you a "husband of the year" mug for putting up with that nonsense lol

10 hours ago, MattP said:

I was looking forward to The Darkest Hour, going on Wednesday - already worried about the tube scene. Sounds ludicrous. 

You'll love the next scene from that where he becomes Corbyn, reading to the outer cabinet about how Alice smith told him she'll fight the Germans with her broom handle if needs be :whistle:

great film up to that point, but the last ten minutes is a bit iffy.

Edited by The Doctor

Just watched Lock Stock for the first time in a few years because of Col's youtube clip in another thread.  Can't believe it came out 20 years ago, in my mind it's still a fairly recent film but watching it now it looks and sounds like it was recorded on a potato lol Still a great film mind you.

Edited by Carl the Llama

No matter how often I watch it, RoboCop stands the test of time even 30 years later.

It's perfectly paced and hugely subversive, the perfect satire of the American way of life, disguised as a futuristic action movie - just like one of Verhoeven's other movies, Starship Troopers.

Some may argue that the technology on display looks clunky by today's standards. I don't care, Murphy rules.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 19:00, seanfox778 said:

The Greatest Showman - 9/10 

Fantastic stuff if you like musicals, you leave the cinema in a very uplifted mood. 

Couldn't agree more. Saw it on Saturday and cant get the songs out of my head!

I watched The Darkest Hour and wouldn't put it above average. Of the contenders I've seen so far Three Billboards will sweep the board. Not sure if Dunkirk has been nominated for anything but that deserves some sort of award too.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2018 at 22:36, Webbo said:

Three billboards. Quite a sad but really good and original film. I'm sure it'll win some awards.

Really enjoyed this today. Quite quirky but some brilliant performances. Thought Sam Rockwell stole the show as Jason Dixon. Good stuff, would defo recommend. 8/10

On 1/24/2018 at 21:11, Webbo said:

I watched The Darkest Hour and wouldn't put it above average. Of the contenders I've seen so far Three Billboards will sweep the board. Not sure if Dunkirk has been nominated for anything but that deserves some sort of award too.

Saw "Three Billboards" last night. Best film I've seen for 1-2 years, though I can imagine some people not liking it. 

Having a dark sense of humour helps. I was laughing out loud at times, unusually for me. Obviously not for people who have a problem with a bit of violence and racist/bad language either.

It takes some doing to produce a film on such a dark subject (dealing with the brutal murder of your child), have people laughing out loud - and yet address some serious aspects of the issue (revenge, justice, finality of death etc.).

Also some brilliant acting going on when so many characters attracted sympathy despite their flaws, even Rockwell as the thuggish cop, not to mention Frances McDormand as the vengeful mother. Hilarious cameo by Officer Dixon's mother, too.

Some decent visuals and tunes, into the bargain.

I presume Oldman is in with a chance of the Best Actor Oscar, but "Three Billboards" is a much better film overall. I'd agree that Dunkirk deserves recognition - for visuals/sound/general atmosphere more than script or acting, I'd say.

• Like 3

Saw Three Billboards a week or so ago.  Same as what others have said really.  Of the films I've seen this year, it should walk many of the awards.  We were two of only four people in the whole cinema, which was a shame for such a great film.  

Watched Downsizing yesterday.  From what could have been an interesting premise, it ended up being a nothing film that never really went anywhere.  All economic principles were binned by the writer & it seemed to be confused in what point it was trying to make.  Pretty crap overall

• Like 1