Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Watched Rogue 1 yesterday, feel like it deserves it's own thread, but I'll stick it in here.

Such a satisfying final act, really ties in with a New Hope and I left the cinema buzzing...

...but as the raging geek horn subsided and we started discussing it, the first 2 acts were kinda poor, the characters were pretty one dimensional and there were too many support characters and it was hard to really care about the leads. Apart from K-2SO. There were some gaping plot holes and dodgy dialogue a plenty but that ending was worth it all.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:34, Captain... said:

Watched Rogue 1 yesterday, feel like it deserves it's own thread, but I'll stick it in here.

Such a satisfying final act, really ties in with a New Hope and I left the cinema buzzing...

...but as the raging geek horn subsided and we started discussing it, the first 2 acts were kinda poor, the characters were pretty one dimensional and there were too many support characters and it was hard to really care about the leads. Apart from K-2SO. There were some gaping plot holes and dodgy dialogue a plenty but that ending was worth it all.

Completely agree. The second half of the film saved it.

I personally didn't like K-2SO at the start. Took me a while to warm to him, felt way too forced.

Didn't really think much to Jyn or the bloke she

died with at the end

Krennic was the best character for me. Closely followed by Galen Erso.

I enjoyed Rogue 1 right from the first second until the last!

It's good to see a more adult orientated and darker film set in the Star Wars universe.  I don't think it's for kids and I don't think you'd fully appreciate it unless you grew up with the original trilogy, but for me it was an absolute blast.

It did have some flaws which I am being overly picky about (I just want to watch the perfect Star Wars movie), it could have been better at certain points, I'm not talking in terms of script, this is Star Wars after all, but some of the continuity wasn't there towards the end of all places with this being the best part of the film.  It's also obvious there were a number of cuts - much of the trailer scenes didn't make it? - but it shouldn't detract from the overall experience.  No doubt they will put it all in the extended bluray edition.

Like what happened to R2D2 and C3PO?  They get a short 2 seconds of screen time and nothing after, despite taking a major role at the beginning of episode 4.

I enjoyed the musical scores, the CGI was extremely well done on one out of two counts

Leia looking like she'd eaten too much pie lol

, the battle scenes were excellent and two hours just flew by.

I was annoyed it finished so quickly especially after "that Vader" scene and wanted another 30 minutes out of somewhere. 

There's a whole load of lore to explore and it doesn't have to be fancy lightsaber fights every 5 minutes as this film has proved.  Once the next series of films are done, they need to stop going back to this timeline and explore something from the distant past - something along the lines of the Knights of the Old Republic would be great.  Take it way back, drop the nods to the previous films, take a risk.

A solid 8.5/10 from me and I'd place this movie in my top 3 of fav Star Wars films and it's better than last years effort imo (just!). 

Rogue one was superb I thought. Real old skool Star Wars and the last hour was totally gripping. Even though my 7 year old was constantly asking me questions, I still enjoyed it lol

The really clever thing for me is how they bought Peter Cushing back to life to play his character, 20 years after he died! - incredible. 

9 hours ago, foxoffderby said:

Rouge 1

well not sure about some of the posters comments on here. Must be watching a different movie to me. That is now my favourite Star Wars film now. Enjoyed the plot and the comedy moments. It's a 10 from me 

Judging by the title I think you actually might have watched a different movie.

I thought Rogue One was great, although I do sort of wish I hadn't known about the re-shoots or seen all the stuff in the trailers that didn't make it into the film.  I've no problem at all with the end product, but you do find yourself thinking, what was it supposed to be like, and would have I enjoyed the original version more?  This would be more of a problem if I'd thought the finished article was a bit shit, which I didn't

I think I love Kate McKinnon, she's actually hilarious:  One of the few redeeming features of the new Ghostbusters and I've just started watching Masterminds and six and a half minutes in and she's already made the movie worth it.  Incidentally I've just learned from this movie that Owen Wilson is alive.  Didn't he die like 5 years ago?

On 21/12/2016 at 22:42, Legend_in_blue said:

Reveal hidden contents

Like what happened to R2D2 and C3PO?  They get a short 2 seconds of screen time and nothing after, despite taking a major role at the beginning of episode 4.

Reveal hidden contents

I was annoyed it finished so quickly especially after "that Vader" scene and wanted another 30 minutes out of somewhere. 

You're in luck! I hear there's a sequel!

• Like 1

On 21/12/2016 at 22:42, Legend_in_blue said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

You're in luck! I hear there's a sequel!