Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

On 20/10/2016 at 15:24, Izzy Muzzett said:

Enjoyed the new Tom Hanks film Inferno today. I think he's a remarkably versatile actor and was on top form in this I thought. I usually drift off in the cinema and start checking e-mail or FT, but this kept me engaged from start to finish. I don't read novels but I can see why Dan Brown has sold so many books. Interesting story and theory and well worth a watch imo. 8/10 for me :thumbup:

Thinking about seeing this over the weekend as there's no match. Can't get up too much enthusiasm giving the previous two in the Robert Langdon series fell very flat after reading the Dan Brown books. The Da Vinci Code in particular could've been so much better although Angels and Demons was a slight improvement. Richie Cunningham should've known it was all downhill after Happy Days.

13 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Thinking about seeing this over the weekend as there's no match. Can't get up too much enthusiasm giving the previous two in the Robert Langdon series fell very flat after reading the Dan Brown books. The Da Vinci Code in particular could've been so much better although Angels and Demons was a slight improvement. Richie Cunningham should've known it was all downhill after Happy Days.

I hadn't read the books so had nothing to compare it to I suppose. As a stand alone thriller I enjoyed Inferno but you may have higher expectations than me! I saw the latest Tom Cruise/Jack Reacher film last week and thought it was very average and instantly forgettable. Off to see that new Si Fi 'Arrival' in a bit which has had decent reviews..

8 hours ago, Ozwin said:

If I get you to watch one film this year then make it Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Absolutely brilliant film, great characters and breathtaking shots of New Zealand to boot. Don't read anything else about it, just do yourself a favour and watch it. 

Obviously the first thing I did was google it and watch the trailer after this lol looks funny though.

On 12 November 2016 at 00:55, Ozwin said:

If I get you to watch one film this year then make it Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Absolutely brilliant film, great characters and breathtaking shots of New Zealand to boot. Don't read anything else about it, just do yourself a favour and watch it. 

I went a few weeks ago when it was on at the Phoenix. 

Absolutely loved it! Unbelievably funny.

"Faulkner is cauc-asian", well they obviously got that wrong you're white. lol

19 hours ago, RizLCFC said:

Anyone recommend a good family film?

When Marnie was there by Studio Ghibli is a nice coming of age movie, based on an English novel about a girl who hates herself and suffers poor health but is befriended by a mysterious girl that is not all that she seems.

4 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

It is currently on at the Phoenix, going to see it Wednesday most probably but yes, I have heard it is a top quality Zombie flick.

It's excellent. Definite World War Z vibe, but with a different angle. Also having visited the stations and traveled on the KTX many times it was cool to see them in the movie.

Let me know what you make of it.

Edited by leicsmac

6 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

YES! YES! YES!

Twenty years of waiting and it's finally coming to theatres soon!

Well, being a big anime fan and currently having all but the second of the Arise DVDs I'm hoping they do not mess this up.

Some of those scenes are lifted straight out of the original anime movie so the director seems to know what he is filming.

If this does well, all those other anime titles currently on hold might get made too, like Cowboy Bebop :)

On 11/12/2016 at 00:55, Ozwin said:

Thanks for the tip

Great film

Watched half an hour of this film on netflix called Left Behind which stared Nicholas Cage, the film was centred around plane that can't land due to some sort of world disaster below or something. I honestly never heard of this film, as mentioned watched around thirty minutes of it's 1hr 50 minutes of its time and that was about enough for me. Dreadful film! dialogue was terrible extremely unnatural, unlikable characters, dodgy acting, chessy background music, a very slow film, thirty minutes in and the plane was still not off the ground and no sign of the plot kicking off either. Nicholas Cage doesn't half appear in some crap these days.       

Edited by Leicesterpool

Just seen A United Kingdom.

It's a true story in the late 40s/early 50s about a British woman (Ruth Williams) who marries a black man (Seretse Khama) who is the heir to the throne of a tribe of Bechuanaland (Botswana). Their marriage is extremely unpopular and creates a political conflict between the UK, South Africa and neighbouring countries.

I have to say it's one my favourite films of the year. Although I did spend about 3 months of it in Botswana so I am a bit biased. It's portrayed beautifully on screen and should hopefully inspire people to visit (be careful though because you will fall in love). What amazed me most though is how quickly attitudes have changed in this country. I was shocked with some of the vitriol towards the Khama's marriage and the arrogance of the British colonial aristocrats in charge. Most amazing is the fact that it's still within living memory.

Can't more strongly recommend it.

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Just seen A United Kingdom.

It's a true story in the late 40s/early 50s about a British woman (Ruth Williams) who marries a black man (Seretse Khama) who is the heir to the throne of a tribe of Bechuanaland (Botswana). Their marriage is extremely unpopular and creates a political conflict between the UK, South Africa and neighbouring countries.

I have to say it's one my favourite films of the year. Although I did spend about 3 months of it in Botswana so I am a bit biased. It's portrayed beautifully on screen and should hopefully inspire people to visit (be careful though because you will fall in love). What amazed me most though is how quickly attitudes have changed in this country. I was shocked with some of the vitriol towards the Khama's marriage and the arrogance of the British colonial aristocrats in charge. Most amazing is the fact that it's still within living memory.

Can't more strongly recommend it.

And then I just chundered everywhere.