Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Just now, separator said:

I agree... Buck Rogers is rubbish. Rogue One on the other hand is great. Up there with the original trilogy

Really ??? Up there with the original trilogy ... too much Christmas sherry  lol 

I thought It was pure crap buddy , but there you go it's a game of opinions movies 

On Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 01:39, Carl the Llama said:

Quick update on Masterminds:  It was hilarious, had me in stitches on numerous occasions.  Definitely add to your watchlist.   8/10

Loved it. So daft but some quality laugh out loud moments

Edited by foxfanazer

46 minutes ago, rico said:

Alien Covenant looks very good

Too much on show! At least three identifiable deaths, and certainly two late survivors in the film. Whilst it recalls the atmosphere of the first, perhaps a few explosions and action of the second, I'm hoping that it's not rehashing what's been done before and brings the newness. Come on Ridley bring the goods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Finally watched David Brent Life on the road.....

what a load of sh!t.... I love Gervais, a modern day genius, The office, The invention of Lying, his standup stuff. But this....THIS!

200_s.gif#22

Thought it was well below his par too. Merchant obviously brought the subtlety and a lot of the genius to The Office. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

The cinematic version is, in my opinion, better than the extended version but yeah, it is a decent enough movie.

I just watched this finally yesterday as well - and I watched both versions as I was intrigued from a creative standpoint as to which i'd prefer, for me the extended was slightly better (minus spoliers it provided a better arc for the Joker for me) - although there actually wasn't as much difference as I thought there would be so I can understand people being mixed on which they prefered.

Anyways, Suicide Squad - 7/10 - no doubt a difficult script to pull together with all the elements involved in it and a long-term wider picture to consider, but a very decent effort from all involved and I enjoyed it - which is more than I can say for Batman vs. Superman which I found pretty awful following a really strong opening scene. Without trying to give away spoilers (turn your eyes to the next post if you don't want any idea of the plot from here, i'm only going to try and refrence briefly) I disliked the amount of helicopters that came down during the film - the first one was pretty un-neccessary to me when they were arriving on scene and thus damaged the later crash spots and made you think they just wanted a few more explosions in there, they didn't need to add funny lines for Killer Croc either - took away from the character a bit for me (what with already pre-existing characters who could be more "comic" aka the Capt, Harley and even Deadshot on occasion) - and also they made it a bit obvious about Slipknot's role in the film as soon as he arrived which could have been avoided with a slightly better intro to him. Thought El Diablo was the standout character for me - and the Joker was okay, impossible to ever be Heath Ledger and it's a "different" joker so he did just about what he needed to. I watched them film a lot of this when I was living in the big TO so it was cool to see the car chase scene through the streets again.

Also I watched: Evil Dead (2013) - 8/10 - was a big fan of the originals, love Ash vs. Evil dead as well so I expected to find this a bit less enjoyable - but it really was a well balanced homage to the original films while attempting to be a decent horror film as well. It didn't succeed fully on the horror front for me with only a few creepy moments - but on the side of gore it was top notch and went "evil dead" with all of the gross-out spots, the last kill was perfect for the heightened state of the film at that point and was pretty brutal. I also didn't mind the slight twist in the background reasoning for the characters heading to the fateful cabin, it made sense and it fit well so no problems there. Worth a watch for any SAW fans inparticular as the gore is where it succeeds very well. Extra point for the post credits.

Fight Club (1999) - 10/10 - I hadn't watched Fight Club for a few years but it's just a supreme film, it's ability to be so multi-layered on different levels is an absolute joy - and the finale is just on point, the last shot spliced into the film gave it the full 10/10 for me as it just tied the whole universe together in one second - you all know which one and it wasn't the content of it that i liked lol just how it referenced the earlier story and Tyler Durden. Excellent performances all around as well, i'm sure there is no one out there anymore who hasn't seen Fight Club - but if you are in the small minority then put aside what you think the films about (a "fight club") and watch it, it's so so so much more. It's on Netflix now.

Sausage Party (2015) 7/10 - i'm a big Seth Rogen fan so I was very interested to see what he and his group would do with an R-Rated animation - and they did pretty well. The story itself was crafted from a tricky base surrounding the contents of this supermarket being alive - but they managed to make a pretty funny film out of it. There sometimes in these sort of films a tendancy to think that shock-value and comedy are one and the same - which isn't neccessarily the case, I think at times it would have been funnier if they had just refered to other characters (like the sock or tampon) without actually showing us, our minds would have made that funnier than just plopping it down on the screen like *bam* here it is! Extra point for bath salts (not saying much more than that but it pretty much worked as they wanted - so good job) We don't need a sequal though so don't get any ideas lol

Nebraska (2011) 9/10 - I can see why this film recieved a few Oscar nominations, it's a very unflashy black and white work of excellence. The performances are incredibly authentic and really drags you into what really is a rather bleak world in the arse-end of nowhere America. It won't be a film for fans of explosions, but it's very thoughtful, simple and effective at what it is. Even sitting here now I can't remember exactly what it was I liked about it - it just worked for me.