Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Guest seanfox778
4 hours ago, spacemunky said:

If we're talking about most re-watched films, mine are:

Trainspotting

The Big Lebowski

A Clockwork Orange

Lost In Translation

Withnail & I

Se7en

Dazed and Confused

High Fidelity

Rushmore

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

All great choices there, although I've not actually seen Withnail & I. Absolutely love Se7en, have you seen The Bone Collector? It's not as good but it's a similar style film. 

1 minute ago, seanfox778 said:

All great choices there, although I've not actually seen Withnail & I. Absolutely love Se7en, have you seen The Bone Collector? It's not as good but it's a similar style film. 

Funny, I just assume all you there(in England) would have seen Withnail & I. My boss(who's from Sheffield) lent it to me years ago and it became a favourite of mine.

Haven't see The Bone Collector.  

Hidden Figures

Had no idea what this was about when I hit play, was pleasantly surprised that is was about NASA and the space race, focusing on the progression of three African American women there. It has a bit of the feeling of imitation game about it. 

Now, it's up for best picture at the Oscars... does it deserve it? I'm not sure, the content of the film is really quite interesting, but some of the acting is TV movie standard (I'm looking at you the lead actress and the guy playing John Glen).

You get the feeling there has been a lot of artistic license used and it would be nice to know what's fact and what's fiction for the sake of making the movie more interesting.

The John Glen character really grates throughout and you get the feeling he was being made more a part of their story than he was.

Anyway, enjoyable enough to watch 7/10.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Lion... what a bloody film, honestly that's probably one of the most gripping/happy/sad films I've seen in god knows how many years.

Think I've had something in both eyes for the last half an hour.

Brilliant 10/10

Been meaning to watch this one , thanks for the tip .

On 03/02/2017 at 08:33, Simi said:

Recently watched.

The Nice Guys - 9/10

Deepwater Horizon - 7/10

The Infiltrator - 7/10

Hell or High Water - 8/10

This nice guys is great, a really easy and entertaining watch 

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Lion... what a bloody film, honestly that's probably one of the most gripping/happy/sad films I've seen in god knows how many years.

Think I've had something in both eyes for the last half an hour.

Brilliant 10/10

The bit at the end when it tells you about his brother nearly killed me!

On 04/02/2017 at 06:23, Babylon said:

Hidden Figures

Had no idea what this was about when I hit play, was pleasantly surprised that is was about NASA and the space race, focusing on the progression of three African American women there. It has a bit of the feeling of imitation game about it. 

Now, it's up for best picture at the Oscars... does it deserve it? I'm not sure, the content of the film is really quite interesting, but some of the acting is TV movie standard (I'm looking at you the lead actress and the guy playing John Glen).

You get the feeling there has been a lot of artistic license used and it would be nice to know what's fact and what's fiction for the sake of making the movie more interesting.

The John Glen character really grates throughout and you get the feeling he was being made more a part of their story than he was.

Anyway, enjoyable enough to watch 7/10.

I watched this tonight, wasn't expecting much but it's actually decent, totally agree that it probably doesn't deserve a nomination and yes there is some seriously questionable acting in it! 

Overall worth a watch 

On 1/22/2017 at 21:29, pSinatra said:

Manchester By The Sea  was the biggest load of nothing I've ever seen.  Just awful.

I've got family in exactly the same area as where it is filmed & I've been there myself a few times, so was kind of looking forward to seeing it.  The story didn't sound like my kind of thing, but given the excellent reviews I thought it can't be too bad.  It is terrible.

On 1/23/2017 at 19:11, ttfn said:

I thought it was brilliant.

Best film I've seen for ages.

I absolutely loved Manchester By The Sea just now, but I couldn't tell you why.

I'm not sure I really understood the end or what the morale of the story way, but I was hooked from start to finish.

Strange film but beautifully made I thought.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I absolutely loved Manchester By The Sea just now, but I couldn't tell you why.

I'm not sure I really understood the end or what the morale of the story way, but I was hooked from start to finish.

Strange film but beautifully made I thought.

That's fair enough.  It seems that more people like it than don't.  I just couldn't get on with Casey Affleck's acting (much like I can't with Ben Affleck's).  I know his character had gone through a traumatic experience in the film but I genuinely thought he was playing someone with Aspergers.

If you figure out the morale or why you liked it, let me know & I might change my mind.

It is beautifully made thoughI've been where it's filmed several times & know the area very well.  The film certainly did the place justice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

That's fair enough.  It seems that more people like it than don't.  I just couldn't get on with Casey Affleck's acting (much like I can't with Ben Affleck's).  I know his character had gone through a traumatic experience in the film but I genuinely thought he was playing someone with Aspergers.

If you figure out the morale or why you liked it, let me know & I might change my mind.

It is beautifully made thoughI've been where it's filmed several times & know the area very well.  The film certainly did the place justice.

I'm not familiar with Casey Affleck's previous work (apart from he was in Ocean's 11 i think?). But I found myself engrossed in his character and I thought he was playing someone who was just sort of 'numb' after what had happened to him. Like he'd almost given up on life and as someone who's suffered from depression myself, I could sort of empathise with him a lot.

I'm still not sure about the morale though. Although it was really sad in places, there were also some humorous moments mixed in but all very subtle. 

The scenery was beautiful and I also noticed how much the classical music complemented it. 

I really wish I could pin point why I liked it so much!