Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Watched the new Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire yesterday lunchtime. 

A whole lot of average/disappointing. They had the perfect setup of new and old characters and also being back in New York. Plus a reasonable plot to go off. But it just falls flat. The big bad guy is built up all film but is a big let down and essentially does bugger all. And the personal stories with the kids just lurch from one scene to another with very little narrative to it. It just ends up being way too clunky and tries to do too much with all the characters.

Oh and a lovely bit of virtue signalling at the end which was unnecessary and felt completely out of place. 

I watched the previous film, Afterlife, on BBC the night before and it was much better  than this was. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The Bear said:

Watched the new Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire yesterday lunchtime. 

A whole lot of average/disappointing. They had the perfect setup of new and old characters and also being back in New York. Plus a reasonable plot to go off. But it just falls flat. The big bad guy is built up all film but is a big let down and essentially does bugger all. And the personal stories with the kids just lurch from one scene to another with very little narrative to it. It just ends up being way too clunky and tries to do too much with all the characters.

Oh and a lovely bit of virtue signalling at the end which was unnecessary and felt completely out of place. 

I watched the previous film, Afterlife, on BBC the night before and it was much better  than this was. 

Never should have been brought back, it was product of the 80's that probably should have remained in the 80's. Bringing an ancient looking Bill Murray cannot save this franchise. I think even he knows the franchise is long dead hence why he was reluctant to return.

On 31/03/2024 at 19:16, Leicesterpool said:

Never should have been brought back, it was product of the 80's that probably should have remained in the 80's. Bringing an ancient looking Bill Murray cannot save this franchise. I think even he knows the franchise is long dead hence why he was reluctant to return.

I'm a huge fan of the '84 original, but still thought After Life was great.

Haven't had chance to watch the new one yet, but the initial reviews weren't too favourable.

Watched Barbie 6/10. Overhyped nonsense that pushes an agenda about gender equality and stereotypes. Margot Robbie isn't a strong lead. Gosling played Ken better. Glad it wasn't nominated for many Oscars. 

7 hours ago, moore_94 said:

If anyone wants to watch a film with a very weird twist in it there is one called Malignant on Netflix

Proper wtf at times

Thanks I’ll take a look 👀 

my all time twist movie is - Predestination

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RoboFox said:

New Joker: Folie à Deux trailer.

That final shot is Oscar worthy in itself.

Americans should be imprisoned for getting the day and month the wrong way around. I’ve just tried to book tickets as it said 10.4.24.

• Haha 2

I just saw Civil War.

It's way, way more violent than you would expect.  Even for a film with "War" in its title.

And boy, are they trying to send a message with it (I wonder who the three-term President might be based on lol)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

I just saw Civil War.

It's way, way more violent than you would expect.  Even for a film with "War" in its title.

And boy, are they trying to send a message with it (I wonder who the three-term President might be based on lol)  

The only president to ever serve 3 terms was Roosevelt. 

13 hours ago, Vacamion said:

I just saw Civil War.

A24 movies can be pretty gratuitous, but I was worried as it's a "big" cinema release that they might tone it down. 

Glad that it's got an 18 certificate. Deffo gonna catch it next week at the cinema.

Edited by RoboFox

5 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

A24 movies can be pretty gratuitous, but I was worried as it's a "big" cinema release that they might tone it down. 

Glad that it's got an 18 certificate. Deffo gonna catch it next week at the cinema.

It's a 15 Cert.  :o

I could hardly believe it. 

My missus was quite traumatised by it and she thought the young lad sitting next to her in the cinema (not me :D) was too young to have seen it.  

• Like 1

Was looking through my collection of Werewolf movies, there's a few but but just like Vampire movies, only a true handful of classics.

Then you have some sequels to the classics that maybe are not as good but are a great addition to the first movie, unlike the howling series :ph34r:

A bit like Fright Night 2, Ginger Snaps unleashed, (strange title by the way,) was a good follow on, the sisters really were cursed.

The end theme was that good I bought the album from HMV but it had to be ordered from Canada, Beautiful by Joy Drop.

Watched the new remake of Road House tonight with Jake Gyllenhaal. 

It was fairly standard modern faire of "hard man who is fighting criminal organisation run by a smarmy young rich guy all on his own, and has to save people he cares about along the way."

The real surprise of the movie was Conor McGregor who was genuinely rather good as a grinning loudmouthed psycho with a screw loose. It really offset Gyllenhaal's quiet introspective psycho with a screw loose perfectly lol

But boy was Gyllenhaal ripped in this. And I mean RIPPED. He was huge. Must have trained his ass off knowing he'd be fighting with McGregor. You could tell he'd been cutting for the shoots though. That telltale stretched looking skin over popping veins and abnormal looking muscles. Certainly compared to McGregor's more natural and smooth looking physique through years of training and fighting. 

Was alright for what it was though. 6/10. 

I watched a film with Jake Gyllenhaal called Ambulance the other day. 

I really like him and he delivered a characteristically nuts bank robber in this but the plot was cack. I was just about entertained - if you like mindless action films maybe it's more your thing but I wouldn't recommend it. 5/10.

• Like 1

I really like Gyllenhaal as an actor. Prisoners, Source Code, End of Watch, Nightcrawler… All great.

I thought Road House was dog bob and shouldn’t have been made.

The original is a classic.

• Like 4