Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I've been watching Line Of Duty back from the start  which is still excellent btw, and noticed something, and this is the same in most police/detective shows come the think of it.

I season 4, Thandie Newton's character kills a colleague. The whole time during the investigation when they are trying to work out who did it, the potential killer is constantly referred to as "he". There's a lot of talk about subconscious sexism in the media putting women in demeaning roles, showing them as the weaker or lesser sex, and that needs to stop, but so does this subconsciously depicting men as evil, the assumption that all criminals are male.

TBH I think that's just real life doing the writing - approximately 95% (according to http://www.unodc.org/documents/gsh/pdfs/2014_GLOBAL_HOMICIDE_BOOK_web.pdf) of convicted homicide perpetrators are male, so it would follow that when police investigate a homicide that has no obvious suspect, their first thought would be that the suspect they would be looking for would be male due to simple statistics.

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

TBH I think that's just real life doing the writing - approximately 95% (according to http://www.unodc.org/documents/gsh/pdfs/2014_GLOBAL_HOMICIDE_BOOK_web.pdf) of convicted homicide perpetrators are male, so it would follow that when police investigate a homicide that has no obvious suspect, their first thought would be that the suspect they would be looking for would be male due to simple statistics.

You could say in the majority women are the stay home parents, they are much more likely to enter into low paid care jobs, but that doesn't stop people complaining if they are depicted in that way in the media.

I'm not saying women don't have it worse, but if we are going to fight for gender equality and stopping stereotyping then it should be across the board, for everyone.

Edited by Facecloth

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

You could say in the majority women are the stay home parents, they age much more likely to enter into low paid care jobs, but that doesn't stop people complaining if they are depicted in that way in the media.

I'm not saying women don't have it worse, but if we are going to fight for gender equality and stopping stereotyping then it should be across the board, for everyone.

And I'm honestly not sure how reasonable (or how widespread) that complaint is either, tbh.

No disagreement that there has to be a consistent position on stereotyping or lack thereof across the board, just not entirely sure what the best way is to go about it.

23 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

People not cleaning up after their dogs! Then literally 5mins later a child walked in it 😡

Or people leaving bags of crap on top of a full dog **** bin. Just carry it to the next one, or put it in the bin at home!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ALC Fox said:

Or people leaving bags of crap on top of a full dog **** bin. Just carry it to the next one, or put it in the bin at home!

And during lockdown, the people who put their dog shit on top of a bin that was sealed off because they didn't have enough staff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

The amount of news coverage of stories from USA on the mainstream media in the UK: BLM, Elections, Celebrities etc.... it's like we don't have anything to report on this country. Surely there are more newsworthy stories internationally we could be reporting on ???

It's a totally fair point - there is a lot else going on in other corners of the world.

As it's election season, however, I'm trying to think of an event that might have bigger bearing and importance on the way the world turns out in the next few years than November in the US (that we know of right now, anyway).

Online festivals and gigs.

Seriously, it's nothing like watching a live band. It's the same difference as being at the KP and watching on your telly.

I don't have any live recordings of bands (other than a few b-sides or album "bonus" tracks), because, if you weren't there, then it really doesn't mean anything.

Of course, I watch bands play live on TV, but I wouldn't pay for it or make it out to be some big special occasion.

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Online festivals and gigs.

Seriously, it's nothing like watching a live band. It's the same difference as being at the KP and watching on your telly.

I don't have any live recordings of bands (other than a few b-sides or album "bonus" tracks), because, if you weren't there, then it really doesn't mean anything.

Of course, I watch bands play live on TV, but I wouldn't pay for it or make it out to be some big special occasion.

For a lot of DJs these are the only real form of income they’ll be getting currently, and I dare say it’s the same for smaller bands and singers. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Milo said:

Surely the weird cartel thing that schools and school outfitters have going on can't be right.

Only one supplier of uniform available, and prices are jaw dropping. 

Tell me about it, it's a fvckin piss take. We had to drive 40 miles to the place that sold our kids uniforms.

£60 for a blazer, £40 for the school PE top, £30 for a skirt, £15 for a tie! then you've got trousers, blouses, shirts, new shoes x2 etc.

I reckon you're looking at minimum £300 all in for 2 kids.

And don't get me started on 'resource packs' and 'maths sets' FFS.

If someone had told me that kids would be this expensive I wouldn't have bothered :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Samilktray said:

For a lot of DJs these are the only real form of income they’ll be getting currently, and I dare say it’s the same for smaller bands and singers. 

No, fair enough.

I think it's more that people are (not everyone, but some) treating it like it's just the same - you're watching live music, but it's not about that so much as the shared experience.

26 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Tell me about it, it's a fvckin piss take. We had to drive 40 miles to the place that sold our kids uniforms.

£60 for a blazer, £40 for the school PE top, £30 for a skirt, £15 for a tie! then you've got trousers, blouses, shirts, new shoes x2 etc.

If someone had told me that kids would be this expensive I wouldn't have bothered :rolleyes:

I reckon if I start them smoking 40 a day it'll stunt their growth enough to see them through the next few years without me having to buy new uniform.

I'll save a fortune   :thumbup:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

Bet your dad said the same thing but apparently your mom rolled  over and well the rest is history 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Izzy said:

It's incredible as schools get you by demanding them having the official tie or blazer. Mine would then change their PE Kit every other year and make you cough up for stuff used a handful of times. 

Wait till they start dropping the "recommended" books that you're punished for not getting. My old school was particularly bad for that

Edited by UniFox21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

[Journo tweets about unrelated transfer]
”Any West Ham news?”

Or any other club’s fans doing it, they’d just post it if they did 

😂 this always makes me laugh, in the middle of telling us Billy Smith has signed for Wycombe.

”Any West Ham news?”

” yes mate, thanks for reminding me, you’ve just signed Messi, forgot to mention it got to excited about Wycombe signing a former Kidderminster Harriers wonderkid.”

4 hours ago, ozleicester said:

The length of zips on my trousers and jeans etc. :@

What’s the actual issue?

too long, too short? Can’t reach them? 
If it’s on all of your trousers and jeans, I would say that’s standard zip length.

I really feel I need to know more about the issue that’s making you so mad here.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

What’s the actual issue?

too long, too short? Can’t reach them? 
If it’s on all of your trousers and jeans, I would say that’s standard zip length.

I really feel I need to know more about the issue that’s making you so mad here.

All appear "nowadays" to be too short.

Back in my day, zips were long and enabled access without having to undo the top button...  bloody young people