Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Despite being created only 8 months apart, and both being over 10 years, old the 'grinds my gears thread' has nearly 1500 pages and the 'floats my boat thread' only 110.

That's a gear grinding to boat floating ratio of nearly 15 to 1.  Very sad.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Despite being created only 8 months apart, and both being over 10 years, old the 'grinds my gears thread' has nearly 1500 pages and the 'floats my boat thread' only 110.

Interesting, goes to show how we're programmed to look more for negativity. 

6 hours ago, murphy said:

Absolute cvnts of our time, what annoyed you on the roads, is Leicester a dump? There are more moaning threads on here than anything.

21 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Absolute cvnts of our time, what annoyed you on the roads, is Leicester a dump? There are more moaning threads on here than anything.

Tbf a good chunk of that Leicester thread is people saying positive stuff, or suggesting things that can be improved - it isn't all inherently negative.

On 24/08/2020 at 16:25, deejdeej said:

Interesting, goes to show how we're programmed to look more for negativity. 

Absolutely.

If you're looking for a hotel or restaurant on Trip Advisor, take a look at the reviews. You're looking and you see 99 5* ratings, but then the 100th is a 1*, scathing review.

Now reverse it. Another place as 99 scathing 1* reviews v one 5* glowing review.

I suspect people aren't going to take the positive one into account, but the one negative one out of 100 will plant the seed of "what if" in lots of people's minds.

• Like 2

On 24/08/2020 at 12:41, The Bear said:

Also people who say "my better half" when referring to their partner. Oh so you're admitting you're a bit of a cu*t then? 

Nah. Just being sarcastically obsequious to their partner. I don't think they actually believe they are the lesser half.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Absolutely.

If you're looking for a hotel or restaurant on Trip Advisor, take a look at the reviews. You're looking and you see 99 5* ratings, but then the 100th is a 1*, scathing review.

Now reverse it. Another place as 99 scathing 1* reviews v one 5* glowing review.

I suspect people aren't going to take the positive one into account, but the one negative one out of 100 will plant the seed of "what if" in lots of people's minds.

This is what makes the reviews so inaccurate and misleading. I've stayed in holiday cottages and hotels that got a couple of negatives and have had to think "is it worth the risk" when I make the booking. What I find is that that it's likely to be one or two disgruntled moany gits that had a bad experience at a local attraction or they found the kitchen didn't have a whole set of restaurant level kit or the TV was not HD. 

They cannot seem to accept that the place they're staying is not their own home and cannot possibly match the familiarity of being at home. 

If that's a problem, stay at home. 

Edited by Parafox

I've unsubscribed from Screwfix mailshots at least 7 times yet I still keep getting annoying emails about stuff I neither want or need. Seems I can't unsubscribe. I've emailed them but that made no difference.

Oh, and Alexa being an absolute shit piece of tech.

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I've unsubscribed from Screwfix mailshots at least 7 times yet I still keep getting annoying emails about stuff I neither want or need. Seems I can't unsubscribe. I've emailed them but that made no difference.

Oh, and Alexa being an absolute shit piece of tech.

On 10/08/2020 at 18:45, Parafox said:

Alexa completely ignores me on many occasions when I'm trying to get the Bob Harris Country Show on demand. She has no manners, no apology. Just silence and a red circle spinning round her. Alexa just doesn't understand me. I might go behind her back and seek comfort in another, more up to date and attractive smart-speaker.

On 02/08/2020 at 19:26, Parafox said:

Alexa. Load of crap and a waste of money. Always losing our connection or saying "sorry, I'm having trouble understanding right now". Interrupting my playlists or music requests with a reminder that the beef stew will be ready in 5 minutes. Not being silent when I command it. Staying silent when I want to ask something that's important to me. Giving me the metaphorical V sign red circle "ignore" when she can't respond as required.

Hang on. Is that Alexa or my wife?

And her jokes are shite.

@Parafox your thoughts on Alexa, mate?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

@Parafox your thoughts on Alexa, mate?

I asked her if I'd posted on FT about her before but she just ignored me... again. I need her to remember stuff I forget. It's an age thing. I only got her so I had someone to talk to after my wife moved out. Seems there's no difference in the responses between them. The tech equivalent of a shrug of the shoulders and "you get on with it, I'm not bothered".

Still, Alexa has never said "you do **** all around here. Why don't you do something useful"?

Edited by Parafox

Arse kissing at work has gone through the roof recently. I get it given the situation but at times it's horrific to witness. Given as well that I work in a industry where it's so easy to measure success, no amount of brown nosing will save you if/when it gets to that point and you're not making anything happen. 

On 21/08/2020 at 14:24, Ollie93 said:

Always hear people saying 'ahh I could've played semi pro- but hurt my knee' just winds me up.

Yeah, this is always bollocks. 

On 21/08/2020 at 16:03, Nalis said:

You say that but I could have been a professional football if it wasn't for my laziness, fitness levels and complete lack of ability.

Sadly, I have the same issues, but I also lock focus, motivation, the required physical attributes, discipline, the right attitude, plus I'm just a general cynic who hates everyone and everything. Other than that, I should have had a great career in football.

Someone should definitely make a Messi to Leicester post today would be really funny and of great value to the forum. What would be funnier if someone questioned if he’d get in ahead of Perez like your Dad’s dull mate from the pub 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

Someone should definitely make a Messi to Leicester post today would be really funny and of great value to the forum. What would be funnier if someone questioned if he’d get in ahead of Perez like your Dad’s dull mate from the pub 

"Not sure where hed fit in to Rogers plans ! 😂"

Or like when that Albrighton and Messi pic does it's bloody quarterly rounds on twitter

"The best footballer on the planet, and Lionel messi !  Class 😂😂😂"

1 minute ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

"Not sure where hed fit in to Rogers plans ! 😂"

Or like when that Albrighton and Messi pic does it's bloody quarterly rounds on twitter

"The best footballer on the planet, and Lionel messi !  Class 😂😂😂"

These people are probably about 50 years old, genuinely blows my mind they consider this sufficient patter to post on a public forum 

I've been watching Line Of Duty back from the start  which is still excellent btw, and noticed something, and this is the same in most police/detective shows come the think of it.

I season 4, Thandie Newton's character kills a colleague. The whole time during the investigation when they are trying to work out who did it, the potential killer is constantly referred to as "he". There's a lot of talk about subconscious sexism in the media putting women in demeaning roles, showing them as the weaker or lesser sex, and that needs to stop, but so does this subconsciously depicting men as evil, the assumption that all criminals are male.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I've been watching Line Of Duty back from the start  which is still excellent btw, and noticed something, and this is the same in most police/detective shows come the think of it.

I season 4, Thandie Newton's character kills a colleague. The whole time during the investigation when they are trying to work out who did it, the potential killer is constantly referred to as "he". There's a lot of talk about subconscious sexism in the media putting women in demeaning roles, showing them as the weaker or lesser sex, and that needs to stop, but so does this subconsciously depicting men as evil, the assumption that all criminal male.

There is no female criminal.....only Women of mercy..:rolleyes: