Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Influencers are all fine and that, I don't understand it but fandom and cult following will always be with us. If people want to cash in on that by flogging wares and promoting stuff to people hanging on their every word that's all fine and dandy.

What does gripe me is when these influencers get a sense of entitlement, and seem to demand things for free in return for a "shout out on my IG." There's been multiple examples of these people trying to grab things like free birthday cakes from small, independent businesses, getting nails done for free, photoshoots for a "collaboration."

In fact, Buzzfeed (remember them) did an article on this kind of thing. This is what grinds my gears about influencers.

4 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Influencers are just making a living like anybody else. Job snobbery is a weird thing

Sure, if you can do it why not? I don’t blame them, but the lack of safeguarding around it makes it very easy to exploit. There’s plenty of cases where a influencer has advertised products in posts despite having never tried the product in question.

You could apply that to any product that sponsors public figures, or uses them in advertisements, but then you’re generally aware these are clear advertisements. Influencers tend to exploit the parasocial relationship they share with their audience, which a large part is made up of impressionable, possibly insecure young teenage girls (and boys) to advertise products in posts that often aren’t presented as advertisements, instead honest endorsements. And when those include weight loss and diet products, it gets a lot more insidious. 

Often these are young folks getting paid a lot of money, so it’s hard to blame them completely, but it’s something that clearly needs addressing.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Sure, if you can do it why not? I don’t blame them, but the lack of safeguarding around it makes it very easy to exploit. There’s plenty of cases where a influencer has advertised products in posts despite having never tried the product in question.

You could apply that to any product that sponsors public figures, or uses them in advertisements, but then you’re generally aware these are clear advertisements. Influencers tend to exploit the parasocial relationship they share with their audience, which a large part is made up of impressionable, possibly insecure young teenage girls (and boys) to advertise products in posts that often aren’t presented as advertisements, instead honest endorsements. And when those include weight loss and diet products, it gets a lot more insidious. 

Often these are young folks getting paid a lot of money, so it’s hard to blame them completely, but it’s something that clearly needs addressing.

they are basically dictating the way people act in some cases especially children, one of my mates kid has been watching all the youtube stuff and his language is appalling

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Fractured my wrist playing 5 aside last summer, broke the same wrist playing 5 aside in February and sprained the f ucker playing football earlier :mad: 

i know some effective wrist excercises if you're interested

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stadt said:

Fractured my wrist playing 5 aside last summer, broke the same wrist playing 5 aside in February and sprained the f ucker playing football earlier :mad: 

10 hours ago, Beliall said:

i know some effective wrist excercises if you're interested

That sounds like an offer rather than advice 

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

When you’re selling something on Depop for an already massively cut price and then someone knocks you down even more by more than half price. 

44 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

When you’re selling something on Depop for an already massively cut price and then someone knocks you down even more by more than half price. 

You can say that again

• Haha 1

What grinds my gears is when Amazon email to give you a time interval for the arrival of your order. Then, when it doesn't arrive, they change the tracking info to tell you that it'll arrive before 9.00 p.m. Finally, they change their story again, and the tracking info changes to 'the delivery is behind schedule'. Why don't they just come clean and say that the delivery guy has messed up, the goods have disappeared, and you'll have to wait until replacement goods are sent instead?

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

What grinds my gears is when Amazon email to give you a time interval for the arrival of your order. Then, when it doesn't arrive, they change the tracking info to tell you that it'll arrive before 9.00 p.m. Finally, they change their story again, and the tracking info changes to 'the delivery is behind schedule'. Why don't they just come clean and say that the delivery guy has messed up, the goods have disappeared, and you'll have to wait until replacement goods are sent instead?

Because it's all automated, theres not one person following your parcel around and giving you these updates. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manini said:

How expensive Adidas World Cups are. You used to be able to pick a pair up for at the most, about £80 a few years ago, but pushing a ton now. 

Footwear generally has skyrocketed, it felt like a pair of general release trainers were between £50-60 for years but even standard gazelles are about £75 now 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Footwear generally has skyrocketed, it felt like a pair of general release trainers were between £50-60 for years but even standard gazelles are about £75 now 

I feel like Nike are to blame, partly, I know the air max lines have always been about £100 but they brought the vapourmax line out and they were about £170 which I think is the most expensive I’ve seen a pair of trainers that weren’t a fashion house brand. Seems like everything has sort of risen from there. The general rule of inflation is obviously something to take in to account but it does feel like standard prices are just continuously rising, I suppose companies will just keep pushing the boundaries to see what they can get away with. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

I feel like Nike are to blame, partly, I know the air max lines have always been about £100 but they brought the vapourmax line out and they were about £170 which I think is the most expensive I’ve seen a pair of trainers that weren’t a fashion house brand. Seems like everything has sort of risen from there. The general rule of inflation is obviously something to take in to account but it does feel like standard prices are just continuously rising, I suppose companies will just keep pushing the boundaries to see what they can get away with. 

Collaborations and limited releases are often £200-300+, I feel like they pushed the boat out with those and realised that people will pay more for even a standard pair. @Samilktray is FT’s resident trainer bod

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Manini said:

How expensive Adidas World Cups are. You used to be able to pick a pair up for at the most, about £80 a few years ago, but pushing a ton now. 

33 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I've just bought a pair of Sketchers memory sole "trainers". I know they aren't Nike Air or whatever, but they're a decent equivalent for me and they cost £37 on-line.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Manini said:

I don’t know if any particular brand are to blame really, I’ve been into trainers for about 15 years now (maybe more) and prices have always varied from about £70 up to 200 for as long as I’ve been into it. Adidas, Nike, New Balance, they’ve all always had more expensive pairs in their stable

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I've just bought a pair of Sketchers memory sole "trainers". I know they aren't Nike Air or whatever, but they're a decent equivalent for me and they cost £37 on-line.

From the recent trainers thread:

On 03/09/2020 Izzy said:

I’m the same age as you and recently needed some new trainers. The wife and kids were hounding me to buy something trendy but I settled on a pair of Sketchers because they had memory foam and felt really comfortable. They all made it clear that they won’t be seen out in public with me wearing them but fvck em. I like them :)

Bump It GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I have a real beef about the UK quarantine rules when returning from certain destinations so I thought I’d look at Centre Parcs (not that I’d ever go) for an idea of costs to go there, my good lady and I could stay for a week in Sherwood Forest from Oct 5th for the grand total of £3798!

• Like 1