Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JohnnyB

North Korean striker Jong/Chong Tae-Se

I was literally coming on this morning to add this topic!

My mate went over to work in Korea last year and yesterday when he got to work the kids were all waiting outside to tell him that were in for this guy, apparently he is a big deal over there and they are all talking about Leicester signing him!

Apparently he is called the Korean Wayne Rooney, worth a shot I suppose we will have to wait and see!!

Is your mate called Daniel Plummer?

The possible signing of North Korea international Jong Tae-Se would help raise Leicester City's profile in Asia, according to a supporter working in South Korea.

City fan Daniel Plummer is teaching English in South Korea.

He told the Mercury that there had been great excitement in the country at the news that City were trying to sign the striker known as 'the People's Rooney'.

Jong, who currently plays for German side VFL Bochum, has confirmed to Korean media that an approach from City has been made, and Plummer said it would be a great signing.

"My students were very excited to tell me the news," he said.

"They know I'm a Leicester fan, but they've never really shown much interest as we are not in the Premier League and don't have any Korean players.

"They were asking me lots of questions about Leicester City. This is the first time that's happened.

"He's obviously not as famous as Park Ji Sung or Bolton's Lee Chung Yong, who is also a superstar over here, but he's still a household name.

"For example, my fellow teachers here, most of them middle-aged women who have little to no interest in football, know who Jong is.

"A lot of them also know about his potential move to Leicester as it's being reported on the national news.

"If he does transfer to Leicester, there's no doubt it would raise the profile of the club enormously in South Korea (North Koreans do not have access to international media) and Asia."

Although Japanese-born Jong plays for communist North Korea, Plummer said there was still a lot of support for him in the democratic south.

He also said it would open doors for City in a potentially lucrative market, as they found in Japan when they signed Yuki Abe, or Thailand when the Asian Football Investments consortium took over the club.

"Even though he's a North Korean international, the South Koreans regard him as one of their own," said Plummer.

"Koreans are fanatically nationalistic and proud of their fellow Koreans when they achieve success internationally.

"North Korean or South Korean – he's Korean and that's all that matters. Despite the politics, in football they generally cheer each other on.

"On the whole, people identify themselves as Korean as opposed to North or South Korean.

"If he signs for us, they will certainly know Leicester. Admittedly, we wouldn't be able to compete with the likes of Manchester United over here with Park Ji Sung, but the potential if we got into the Premier League with him is huge.

"I've met more Bolton fans in South Korea these last 10 months than I ever met in England. Manchester United and Bolton are the two big teams in Korea.

"The same can be said of Jong Tae-Se. By signing for Leicester, he'll put Leicester on the map out here. A lot would still need to happen for us to fully crack the market, but it puts our foot in the door, which is more than most clubs can say.

"If he does well for Leicester and we get promoted, then we could potentially break into what is a sizeable market over here. Much in the same way that Bolton have.

"I try to keep up with the Premier League here and watch the big games. It's a little frustrating, though, because even if Manchester City are playing Chelsea, they show Bolton versus Fulham as there's a Korean playing.

"So if Leicester made it to the Premier League, and he was playing, I expect a large proportion of our games would be beamed across Korea."

From Mercury

The possible signing of North Korea international Jong Tae-Se would help raise Leicester City's profile in Asia, according to a supporter working in South Korea.

He told the Mercury that there had been great excitement in the country at the news that City were trying to sign the striker known as 'the People's Rooney'.

Jong, who currently plays for German side VFL Bochum, has confirmed to Korean media that an approach from City has been made, and Plummer said it would be a great signing.

"They know I'm a Leicester fan, but they've never really shown much interest as we are not in the Premier League and don't have any Korean players.

"They were asking me lots of questions about Leicester City. This is the first time that's happened.

"He's obviously not as famous as Park Ji Sung or Bolton's Lee Chung Yong, who is also a superstar over here, but he's still a household name.

"For example, my fellow teachers here, most of them middle-aged women who have little to no interest in football, know who Jong is.

"A lot of them also know about his potential move to Leicester as it's being reported on the national news.

"If he does transfer to Leicester, there's no doubt it would raise the profile of the club enormously in South Korea (North Koreans do not have access to international media) and Asia."

Although Japanese-born Jong plays for communist North Korea, Plummer said there was still a lot of support for him in the democratic south.

He also said it would open doors for City in a potentially lucrative market, as they found in Japan when they signed Yuki Abe, or Thailand when the Asian Football Investments consortium took over the club.

"Even though he's a North Korean international, the South Koreans regard him as one of their own," said Plummer.

"Koreans are fanatically nationalistic and proud of their fellow Koreans when they achieve success internationally.

"North Korean or South Korean – he's Korean and that's all that matters. Despite the politics, in football they generally cheer each other on.

"On the whole, people identify themselves as Korean as opposed to North or South Korean.

"If he signs for us, they will certainly know Leicester. Admittedly, we wouldn't be able to compete with the likes of Manchester United over here with Park Ji Sung, but the potential if we got into the Premier League with him is huge.

"I've met more Bolton fans in South Korea these last 10 months than I ever met in England. Manchester United and Bolton are the two big teams in Korea.

"The same can be said of Jong Tae-Se. By signing for Leicester, he'll put Leicester on the map out here. A lot would still need to happen for us to fully crack the market, but it puts our foot in the door, which is more than most clubs can say.

"If he does well for Leicester and we get promoted, then we could potentially break into what is a sizeable market over here. Much in the same way that Bolton have.

"I try to keep up with the Premier League here and watch the big games. It's a little frustrating, though, because even if Manchester City are playing Chelsea, they show Bolton versus Fulham as there's a Korean playing.

"So if Leicester made it to the Premier League, and he was playing, I expect a large proportion of our games would be beamed across Korea."

The fact that they still cheer on North Koreans really surprises me!

Yes let's lump all asians in together, all we need to do is sign a Korean player and we'll have Thais, Cambodians, Vietnamese, the lot all following us.

It's fair to say that Asians support other Asians, no matter what country. On the Man U-Singha beer billboards in Thailand Park Ji-sung is at the top with Rooney. Big drawcard.

Not that I agree with buying a player for their marketing potential, but if he's actually half-decent as well then it's a bonus.

Far too simplistic, as in Europe there is a lot of dislike between certain countries, Cambodians, for instance, certainly wouldn't support a team because they signed a Thai player.

MPH

You seem to have taken my comment personally, I wasn't having a go at you, I was was having a go at the lazy assumption that all asians will support any team that has an asian playing for them.

Calling someone a tit and then stupid just because they disagree with you?

Would you do that down the pub?

I'm so excited at the prospect of this signing, I would really really like this to happen. His goals that I've seen look prem quality and the two against greece? Wow! Hope we find out about the offer by the end of the week. A Tae-Se Maynard Nugent front row would be unstoppable. If we get him, I'll be ridiculously pleased :scarf:

He's hardly gonna come out and say "Yes, i want to leave. This place is a shithole etc."

That reads like one of those generic media statements where if a move falls through he doesn't have the fans on his back while if he does leave it might not spark that much outrage in Bochums fan base.

Far too simplistic, as in Europe there is a lot of dislike between certain countries, Cambodians, for instance, certainly wouldn't support a team because they signed a Thai player.

MPH

You seem to have taken my comment personally, I wasn't having a go at you, I was was having a go at the lazy assumption that all asians will support any team that has an asian playing for them.

I think you'll find that is the case though....

Most Asian countries will support teams with there national players in, they get all the coverage in the media and broadcast there teams playing most weeks!

MPH

:giggle: I seem to remember you & i having this conversation a while back!

....something about winding my neck in.....

I think we have both moved on since then though. Pinch of salt Hackney you should know this by now!

Archived