Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Vardy taking a bashing from neil custis on Sunday supplement over jap incident

Neil and his brother Shaun are terrible jokes of journalists. He had to ask around about how Vardy had apologised, seemed to ignore the fact Vardy had asked to meet the person he abused face to face and went on a rant. Idiot.

Remarkably Shaun is even worse. So funny that they always get Henry Winter on with him on the Sunday Supplement. Whilst Winter calmly puts his intelligent point across, Custis sit opposite shouting his head off trying to drown him out because he's being shown up.

Neil and his brother Shaun are terrible jokes of journalists. He had to ask around about how Vardy had apologised, seemed to ignore the fact Vardy had asked to meet the person he abused face to face and went on a rant. Idiot.

Remarkably Shaun is even worse. So funny that they always get Henry Winter on with him on the Sunday Supplement. Whilst Winter calmly puts his intelligent point across, Custis sit opposite shouting his head off trying to drown him out because he's being shown up.

I too just watched it, I thought that his analysis was disgraceful, way OTT.

His Rooney love in was unbelievable, and his views on football are typically simplistic going on moronic.

When explaining his transfer stories, his defence of them was to suggest that the point of the articles was that a conversation had occured, rather then the misleading headline which suggested imminent movement... Bellend! Gutter journalist.

I hope that he will not be booked on the Sunday supplement again.

I too just watched it, I thought that his analysis was disgraceful, way OTT.

His Rooney love in was unbelievable, and his views on football are typically simplistic going on moronic.

When explaining his transfer stories, his defence of them was to suggest that the point of the articles was that a conversation had occured, rather then the misleading headline which suggested imminent movement... Bellend! Gutter journalist.

I hope that he will not be booked on the Sunday supplement again.

The thing is, if you read his Twitter bio, it says he's in Manchester and reports on United & City so if that's what he's employed to do then anything he says about other clubs should be taken with a very large grain of salt as it's not impartial.

I didn't even realise he was following me on Twitter till just now although I do know why. Apparently he used to be a Numan fan back in Gary's early career, I know he still likes his early music but I've got no idea what he thinks about the industrial stuff.

As for his views on football, if you're not a United or City fan then you should pretty much ignore them. That and the fact he writes for The Sun.

LEICESTER
Home»Blogs»Leicester hope history doesn’t repeat itself
Leicester hope history doesn’t repeat itself
25th August 2015

Now I don’t want to rain on our parade, but being a Leicester City fan I find I am a glass half empty kind of guy. It comes with following the club that I love for over 40 years.

Born in 1961 my first memory of watching Leicester City was on a black and white TV as they lost to Manchester City in the 1969 FA Cup Final. I missed what was then the almost years of the Matt Gillies era having a dad more interested in Big Daddy & Giant Haystacks than anything Filbert Street.

But it did mean that by the time I was able to go with my mates we were into the never to be forgotten Jimmy Bloomfield years. It was like watching Brazil with English results, ’cause whilst we played some of the best football in the land not unlike Brazil, we never actually won anything, a lot like England. But good times never the less, especially living across the road from Len Glover. Being able to take his red setter dog for walks remains one of my happiest childhood memories.

That was the 70s though and the, what was then seen as, successful years of the 70s was followed by the McLintock nine months of utter disaster. We saw a good team mercifully ripped apart. OK this may be putting it at its crudest, but it kinda sums it up.

Jock Wallace & Brain Little were to bring back some happy times and brief flirtations with making City an established top flight club, but that honour would ultimately go to a loveable Irishman in the mid-90s.

oneil2.jpg

What Martin O’Neill achieved is written in Leicester City folklore, and following him when he moved to Celtic was never going to be an easy job for anyone.

But, do you remember October 2000? Less than four months after the appointment of O’Neill’s successor we sat atop the Premier League, the first time we had been at the summit of the top league of English football since 1963 when the aforementioned Matt Gillies was in charge.

Two weeks we were there, thanks to an international break. But pride comes before a fall, and boy did we fall.

Peter Taylor, respected as a coach, but failed constantly as a manager, took over from O’Neill and it was with the latter’s team in all but name that Taylor took us to the summit with. All was going well before, dare I say it, Taylor started to ‘tinker’.

Once again we saw the dismantling of a good team and over two seasons Taylor had destroyed what O’Neill had created. Actions that would lead the club we loved into administration and years in the wilderness.

Once again we waited years for a manager to arrive that could rebuild our club. The Mandaric years, as expected, added a revolving door to the managers’ office. Even having an ex-England boss at the helm in Sven Goran-Erikkson could not provide the answer, but did provide a period of long forgotten excitement and media attention.

But after the new owners realised big names don’t always guarantee big success, especially in, what is let’s be honest, a really tough second tier of English football, the in, out, in period of Nigel Pearson’s reign took our club from the depths of the third-tier back to the top table of English Football. Whatever your thoughts are on Pearson, and he was a Marmite manager, what he did for our club should never be forgotten.

His last year will be remembered for his off the field actions as much as his on field success, but his departure left us with the nucleus of a team that could maybe go on to replicate the O’Neill years.

The media hype surrounding his replacement was unparalleled, with every day bringing a new favourite to get the job, with Claudio Ranieri eventually being given the nod.

Ranieri.jpg

His appointment was greeted with a mixed reaction from the fans, even worse from the so called experts, the ‘tinkerman’ knew he had a tough job on his hands. Would he go the same way as Frank McLintock & Peter Taylor? I accept that sometimes squads need to be overhauled and managers leave when they know this is the case leaving their successors with a minefield of a job, take Alex Ferguson & David Moyes as an example of that.

But this was not the case with McLintock & Taylor, and whilst, again, I accept that new managers want to bring in their own players, it should never be at the detriment of the team they have inherited.

So for the first two weeks of the new season we have sat atop the EPL on the Saturday night. The new manager it seems not living up to his nickname as he makes very few changes. But time will tell if this is a short term action or not. Why change what is not broken as they say.

As I write this the new signings are being met with a general consensus of support, although the one new boy that has gone straight into the side, Okazaki, was in fact a Pearson target.

But will Ranieri buck the trend of managers following on from successful ones and take us to that next level, or follow in McLintock & Taylor’s footsteps and take us back down a level.

Personally I don’t think history will repeat itself, but then again I am the world’s worst football predictor, ask my son.

Watch this space……

How Leicester City defied the doubters and kept winning under Claudio Ranieri

Teams of the week from the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1, plus analysis of Leicester City’s start to the season under Claudio Ranieri

By Martin Laurence for WhoScored?, part of the Guardian Sport Network

2956.jpg?w=300&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10
 Riyad Mahrez celebrates after scoring for Leicester City against Tottenham Hotspur. Photograph: Carl Recine/Reuters

Martin Laurence

Tuesday 25 August 2015 13.21 BST

It came as something of a shock when Nigel Pearson was relieved of his duties at Leicester City, but it was a parting of ways that had looked likely for months before their remarkable end to the 2014-15 campaign. After 29 matches last season, Leicester were three points adrift at the foot of the Premier League and seven points away from safety, albeit with a game in hand. In the final two months of the season, from the start of April to 24 May, they played nine matches and amassed a league-high of 22 points – three more points than they secured in the 29 games before their sparkling run.

When Pearson was dismissed, it was for his antics off the field – or occasionally on its sidelines – so many onlookers thought that his replacement would do well to match Leicester’s eventual standing. When Claudio Ranieri was appointed, most of us were convinced that a long, hard season lay in waiting. After just three matches of the new season, it’s premature to assume anything, but Leicester have already given themselves a great shot at survival, answering many critics who thought they were destined for relegation.

The decision to appoint the experienced Ranieri was questioned and even mocked. This was a manager who had just failed spectacularly at his first attempt of international management, losing four and drawing one of his five matches in charge of Greece, with the last these defeats coming at home to the Faroe Islands. Despite having taken charge of Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus, Napoli, Fiorentina, Atlético Madrid, Roma and Internazionale, he has just two domestic trophies and no top-flight league titles to his name.

He secured decent win ratios in most of his jobs, but many view Ranieri as an underachiever in management: a nearly man. Moreover, his bubbly personality was seen as too drastic a departure from Pearson, whose behaviour was absurdly aggressive at times last season. Many felt, however, that his aggression – that firm hand – had secured Leicester’s survival. Ranieri was unlikely to emulate that style. That may be the case, but the notion that Leicester’s players would struggle to muster the same passion and fight without the influence of their former boss was a disservice.

Ranieri’s decision to betray his “Tinkerman” tag and keep the faith in his players and coaching staff has been crucial to the Foxes’ early season success. Three games into the current season and they still boast the best record over the last five months (29 points), losing fewer games (one) than any other side in that time.

Ranieri has named the same starting team in each of the first three matches of the season, with Shinji Okazaki the only player in the side who didn’t contribute to Leicester’s survival bid last season. However, in successfully implementing a 4-4-2 formation, the Italian has succeeded where his predecessor failed. Leicester started 13 league matches with that system last season, winning just twice. They lined up with a three-man defence during their heroic end-of-season run, though Ranieri’s decision to desert that approach has paid off.

Their wingers, who are direct and purposeful on the break, have been crucial. The star of the show so far is undoubtedly Riyad Mahrez, whose rating of 9.22 is the highest in the Premier League for good reason. He has four goals to his name, matching last season’s tally, and has been awarded our man of the match award all three games so far, having received just two in 2014-15.

Marc Albrighton’s contribution on the opposite flank shouldn’t be overlooked either. His impact on the team has been quite remarkable. After a slow start to life at the King Power following a free transfer from Aston Villa, the winger played a pivotal role in Leicester’s survival and has picked up where he left off. In 13 league starts for the club, Albrighton has been on the winning side nine times and has lost just twice, with the Foxes winning just four of the 28 matches when he has been left out.

Only Aleksandar Kolarov (8.14) has earned a higher rating than Albrighton (7.81) since the start of Leicester’s run of form in April, with Mahrez hot on the heels of his team-mate (7.78). With forward Jamie Vardy (7.41) also among the top 20 players in that time, along with Robert Huth and Esteban Cambiasso – who has since left the club – Leicester have been playing to their strengths on the counter-attack. Ranieri deserves credit for noticing that trend from the end of the previous campaign.

Leicester have held the lowest amount of possession on average this season (37.1%) and have the worst pass accuracy (69.1%) but continue to play some of the most entertaining football in the league. During their run of 29 points since the end of March, only Manchester City have had more attempts from counter-attacking situations (seven).

The form of their wingers may tail off, but with just one of their next 10 Premier League fixtures against a side from last season’s top six (Arsenal), the potential is there for their fantastic start to continue. For Ranieri, ensuring Leicester’s survival would rank highly among what many consider to be his modest managerial achievements.

• Like 1

That time with Taylor still haunts me a little but I remind myself that we have a manager with a far far better record and the club has made immense strides in all areas over the past few years.

Not saying history won't repeat itself just there is less chance of it.

That time with Taylor still haunts me a little but I remind myself that we have a manager with a far far better record and the club has made immense strides in all areas over the past few years.

Not saying history won't repeat itself just there is less chance of it.

Agreed I think the club is in a better place this time round, they have a structure and a clear plan, look at the fact that walsh and shakespeare have stayed and the transfer targets mainly stayed the same, under taylor the chairman at the time got, brainwashed by all these ideas taylor had, we wasted millions, yet never yet o'neill have that money.

This time round it strikes me as the owners are in charge. Taylor seemed to have to much input.

Edited by Bayfox

Agreed I think the club is in a better place this time round, they have a structure and a clear plan, look at the fact that walsh and shakespeare have stayed and the transfer targets mainly stayed the same, under taylor the chairman at the time got, brainwashed by all these ideas taylor had, we wasted millions, yet never yet o'neill have that money.

This time round it strikes me as the owners are in charge. Taylor seemed to have to much input.

Always struck me as having no ideas at all ...... His signings were generally agent led.

He was way out of his depth ..... Something that really cannot be levelled at CR who is comfortable at the top end of any European league.

Recent post on the LTLF Forest Forum regarding city::

"No. I just thought the year they got promoted, on paper we were as good if not better than them. They just had more commitment than us. Now they are a premiership side and still go for it at lowly Bury. Attitude's seem different at Forest.

Oh yes of course Forest were the best team in the East Midlands in our promotion year - that's why it finished 37 points below us and 20 points below the Rams! :)  Forest fans never get over their arrogance even though their team hasn't done anything in 20 years.

• Like 3

By 'still go for it,' they mean being able to annihilate a team having changed the entire starting XI with a teenage debutant up front? 

The notion that they were anywhere near as good as us, on paper or on grass, in our promotion year is just standard Forest. It must be hard being the third best team in the region, especially when it's by that distance.

• Like 1

It's difficult to support a team that once worked miracles and achieved so much and who have slipped so far. They are trapped with a legacy they can never hope to see again. You've got to feel sorry for them. It's sad that they've become a nothing club with bitter deluded fans. Could you imagine having to struggle with that weight on your shoulders?

• Like 2

I actually do feel a little sorry for them for that very reason.

They're never going to see anything like that period in the late 70s and early 80s ever again. As the passing of time wears on, the percentage of fans in the ground who even saw those days will start to decrease. If you think about it, their second EC win was in 1980 - so you'd realistically need to be in your late 40s or early 50s to have any real memories of it. Anyone younger than that has known little but a few years in the top flight when they were in school, and 20 years of abject shite. 

• Like 1

who cares? Honestly find it hard to care about Forest these days, they're kinda like Cov for me now. Although I can see what he's saying, if he means going into the season on paper. If you think about it our best players that seasons in Vardy and Drinkwater they would've all been dismissed as quality players going into that season. 

Wake up forest...it's 2015

Just like billy big balls Davies,reducing the away allocation

Just because the away fans made more noise

Still only get 22k / match

Your last fact is incorrect sir, they haven't broken the 20k barrier at home yet this season. ;)

It's the ones who weren't even born in their two years of glory that get me, they go on and on about it like it was only a few years ago.

They don't realise before Clough went there, they were a second tier side quite consistently, he got them up and they won the league and two European cups but since then nothing. 1980 wasn't it?