Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

You're right, there's likely to be far more. I mean, how many Leicester fans do you think there are in a county of 1.5 million people? The shirts worn at my county based junior football club would suggest a decent number.

Depends how you define fan, but I'd doubt there's more than about 70,000 Sunderland fans, I'd suspect if we got over 100k it'd be only just, mostly because Leicester and the surrounding county is pretty well populated - something Sunderland doesn't have.

Edit: Obviously globally it's much bigger than 100k for both clubs, but global fanbases need to be taken with a pinch of salt, like the idea that 1 in every ten living people support Manchester United (reported fanbase of around 650 million).

Edited by The Doctor

I see things like this written about Vardy all the time

"It's a strange one because he should be shit. He looks like he should be shit and he's not a great footballer. 

But he scores loads of goals!"

What utter bollocks. So many people mentioning how he's not a good footballer, or a 'technically gifted footballer'

Why do people care about what he looks like, and who are these people that are so clued up on what a 'technically gifted' footballer is. In my mind, scoring 9 goals in the Premier League makes you a technically gifted footballer. 
Edited by Finchy

"It's a strange one because he should be shit. He looks like he should be shit and he's not a great footballer.

What utter bollocks. Why do people care about what he looks like, and who are these people that are so clued up on what a 'technically gifted' footballer is. In my mind, scoring 9 goals in the Premier League makes you a technically gifted footballer.

I can see that though, if he wasn't our player we'd see the poor first touch, the aggression, the dubious dives/fouls and we'd be irritated.

We love him because he's a nightmare for any team he plays against and his in your face attitude is so good when you're a fan of the team he plays for. Now he scores goals as well he's just unbelievable to us. But I can see why other fans a dismissive of him and dislike him. It's why I love him even more!

Keep it going Vards.

I can see that though, if he wasn't our player we'd see the poor first touch, the aggression, the dubious dives/fouls and we'd be irritated.

We love him because he's a nightmare for any team he plays against and his in your face attitude is so good when you're a fan of the team he plays for. Now he scores goals as well he's just unbelievable to us. But I can see why other fans a dismissive of him and dislike him. It's why I love him even more!

Keep it going Vards.

Basically he's a slightly more technically proficient Savage.

What utter bollocks. So many people mentioning how he's not a good footballer, or a 'technically gifted footballer'

Why do people care about what he looks like, and who are these people that are so clued up on what a 'technically gifted' footballer is. In my mind, scoring 9 goals in the Premier League makes you a technically gifted footballer. 

What bugs me is the number of times people use the word "class" to denigrate a player who they reckon doesn't have it.  Interestingly, these people never define the word "class" in a footballing context, they just bandy the word around.  To me it's meaningless.  As far as I'm concerned, if Vardy is far more effective than another forward then he has "class" and the other forward, by comparison, doesn't.

Edited by deep blue

Give me an effective player over a technically gifted player all day long. 

Taarabt was technically gifted.

Too right. That geezer who held the world record for keep ups we had on the pitch at half time at filbo street years ago was technically gifted, but there was a reason he was on the pitch at half time instead of earning a living playing the game.

Keep it going Vards.

His first touch as improved no end since he moved to us. I personally don't think he dives either.

What bugs me is the number of times people use the word "class" to denigrate a player who they reckon doesn't have it.  Interestingly, these people never define the word "class" in a footballing context, they just bandy the word around.  To me it's meaningless.  As far as I'm concerned, if Vardy is far more effective than another forward then he has "class" and the other forward, by comparison, doesn't.

Bit like Kevin Keegan really, ran his socks off, knew how to put a round piece of leather into a net held up by a frame.

Clever in finding empty spaces.Not the most skillfull of forwards, but people loved him.

He isn't the most technical but I suppose he proves that there is more to football than just that. He knows his limitations and plays to his own strengths.

Precisely. Is Andy Carroll technically gifted? Of course he isn't but when he's fully fit he's incredibly effective and once cost Liverpool £35m.

Class isn't prettiness or fancy posturing. It's about using every resource you've got honestly, to achieve everything you possibly can. And Vardy ticks those boxes consistently.

Spot on.

Young kids, and indeed old kids playing low level football will see him as an inspiration. To turn yourself around, and dedicate yourself to your profession in the time scale he has done is amazing. Not only that but he still improving even now.

We all saw the turn around in the championship winning season. He learned lessons and turned up leaner, faster and hungrier from the start. He has done the same this season after learning what the PL is all about last season. Phenomenal.

• Like 1

So even after bagging another two Garth Crooks sticks Vardy in his team of the week.........on the wing lol

I felt sure he'd turn up in goal this week

His first touch as improved no end since he moved to us. I personally don't think he dives either.

I don't think he dives, he's very good at drawing fouls but do opposition fans really trouble themselves to look at it in a neutral way? It happens against their team, it's a hotly contested decision and they'll be angry that a penalty was given. It clouds their judgement, makes them dislike Vardy and aggrivates them when he goes on to run them ragged. We dislike certain oppositions players for exactly the sort of things we're sticking up for Vardy for. It's just the way it is. He plays the game where he's a hero for the club he plays for and a nightmare and villain for the opposition. Long may that continue and long may we keep him.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/oct/19/premier-league-10-talking-points-weekend-action

4) Ranieri deserves the plaudits as Leicester roar back at Southampton

Claudio Ranieri continues to bamboozle. When the former Greece manager was appointed in the summer he wore a startled expression, holding up a Leicester shirt at his unveiling like a bemused lottery winner grappling a supersized cheque. But behind the Italian’s affable nature and the intonation of that playful accent lies a steely pragmatism. Against Norwich Ranieri made the bold call to leave arguably his best player this season, Riyad Mahrez, on the bench and his replacement, Jeffrey Schlupp, scored what proved to be the winner. Mahrez, struggling for fitness, was again overlooked against Southampton after his international exploits but after a turgid first half from Leicester Ranieri wasted no time in bringing on the Algerian alongside Nathan Dyer. The substitutes provided an assist each for Jamie Vardy as the Foxes fought back to claim a 2-2 draw. It was nothing less than Leicester deserved, the visitors having 18 second-half shots to Southampton’s four. Ranieri admitted Mahrez was angry to be left out of the starting XI at both Norwich and Southampton but it was excellent man-management, keeping even his best players hungry. Leicester’s manager has quickly and intimately learned the strengths and weaknesses of his squad; while Vardy may have claimed the headlines Ranieri’s ability to make big calls at crucial moments has contributed just as much to Leicester’s fifth place in the table. Bravo, Claudio. 

I'm still waiting for the Guardian to issue their apology to Ranieri now, the bellends.

Also, as much as I miss him when he isn't playing and he's my favourite, I'm a bit tired of people (FPL players) making a big deal about Mahrez not starting games. They should thank Ranieri for not working him to death so he'll be like this all season.

A guy from the Southampton forum

Quote Originally Posted by hasper57saint View Post

When you are 2 - 0 up you continue attacking.Don't think we did that.Just think,a win would have in fifth this morning!

We brought Romeu on against Swansea and completely shut the game down.

Can't say I'm too worried about it, Leicester just showed why they're where they are (in the second half), and also why they're not going to be there at the end of the season (in the first).

A guy from the Southampton forum

Quote Originally Posted by hasper57saint View Post

When you are 2 - 0 up you continue attacking.Don't think we did that.Just think,a win would have in fifth this morning!

We brought Romeu on against Swansea and completely shut the game down.

Can't say I'm too worried about it, Leicester just showed why they're where they are (in the second half), and also why they're not going to be there at the end of the season (in the first).

..... and that doesn't apply to Southampton because ........  :unsure: