Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

I often see a clubs history as a burden in some cases based on a clubs current position. For example when we were in League 1 because of our 'history' I was quite embarrassed to be there. It was a fall from grace relative to our clubs history. 

For me its always about the here and now. When we beat Villa did I care they used to be good? Nope. All i cared about is that we are/were better than them at the current moment in time. 

It must be awful being a Forest fan for example. Based on their history the club should never be where they are now. It's a fall from grace and therefore its hard to have pride in 'yeah but we used to be good line'. Gary Glitter and Jimmy Saville were pretty big in the 70s and 80s but you wouldn't be a member of their fan clubs now.

:nigel:

Are you joking?

He's basically saying "the league is open, even little old leicester are the most consistent team so far" before going on to further his point about Man United having a chance of the title.

in my mind the relevance of history largely depends on how long you've been watching football.  I started watching football properly around the time that Liverpool's demise began.  I'm aware that they were a big club but the norm for me is that they are a club that will finish between 4th and 6th, nothing more.  I'm sure there are some older fans on here that think of Liverpool as a massive club. 

Stadiums and fan based are also important in terms of 'big club' as much as I dislike them, Leeds to me are a 'big club' and Sheffied Wednesday should be....

in my mind the relevance of history largely depends on how long you've been watching football. I started watching football properly around the time that Liverpool's demise began. I'm aware that they were a big club but the norm for me is that they are a club that will finish between 4th and 6th, nothing more. I'm sure there are some older fans on here that think of Liverpool as a massive club.

Stadiums and fan based are also important in terms of 'big club' as much as I dislike them, Leeds to me are a 'big club' and Sheffied Wednesday should be....

We must be of a similar age as I think along the same lines which unfortunately begs the question...

...does the younger generation from say 5-15, see the likes of Stoke and Hull as 'big clubs'?

We must be of a similar age as I think along the same lines which unfortunately begs the question...

...does the younger generation from say 5-15, see the likes of Stoke and Hull as 'big clubs'?

Why would they think that they are big clubs? They've not done anything in their life time  :unsure:

Why would they think that they are big clubs? They've not done anything in their life time :unsure:

Ok maybe not big clubs but established Premier League teams (more so Stoke) where say they got relegated and stayed down for 20-30 years, that generation might think 'Stoke should be back "where they belong" in the Premier League'. (Shudder)

Stoke in fairness have been top flight regulars for 7 years on the spin. I can see why people who've followed for the last ten years would put them above say Forest or Derby who haven't managed that recently. Dare I say it, there's probably a decent number who think they're bigger than us too.

Club size changes anyway. When I attended my first game we were two leagues above Man City. It can vary. Brighton are comfortably a bigger club than they were ten years ago. I reckon fanbase is the most important aspect personally in determining a big club.

Saying that, I'd have Swansea down as smaller than Leeds, Sheff Weds, Derby, Forest etc... and they're absolutely streets ahead of all of them. It's irrelevant really.

Ok maybe not big clubs but established Premier League teams (more so Stoke) where say they got relegated and stayed down for 20-30 years, that generation might think 'Stoke should be back "where they belong" in the Premier League'. (Shudder)

Everyone says that about any team who were once in the top flight. They'd probably say the same if Blackpool came back up. It's a silly phrase.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

I reckon if you are 20 or under you probably see Chelsea as a 'big club'.  Man City also. 

Outisde the top 7 or so, success-wise it is much of a muchness to me.  The rest of the clubs might sneak into the Europa league or a league cup win but that is about the best you can aim for.

in my mind the relevance of history largely depends on how long you've been watching football. I started watching football properly around the time that Liverpool's demise began. I'm aware that they were a big club but the norm for me is that they are a club that will finish between 4th and 6th, nothing more. I'm sure there are some older fans on here that think of Liverpool as a massive club.

Likewise (so we're prob a similar age). Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal are the only teams who I consider big, as they're the only ones who've been consistently up there since i was born. Chelsea and Man City are still mediocre clubs in my eyes, same stature as West Ham or Newcastle.

Weird to think of Coventry, who were a well established top flight club when I first started watching football, sometimes flirting with the drop, but 34 unbroken years in the top flight including an FA Cup win is impressive, but eventually they sank and did so with barely a hint of recovery.

Aston Villa could well follow suit...

Weird to think of Coventry, who were a well established top flight club when I first started watching football, sometimes flirting with the drop, but 34 unbroken years in the top flight including an FA Cup win is impressive, but eventually they sank and did so with barely a hint of recovery.

Aston Villa could well follow suit...

They were just an insignificant side in the lower reaches with no significant history for me until Jimmy Hill dragged them up.

I believe for those 34 years nearly every one was flirting with relegation.

Has their stadium argument (between club, council and stadium owner) been sorted then?

It was strange about the possibility of them maybe having to play at Northampton's ground.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

The Sunderland fans on that forum are something else.  Classic deflection tactics to distract from living in the armpit of England and have no steel plants to picket anymore.  With idiots like that it's no wonder regional downsizing and outsourcing exists.

I know it's reacting to a WUM post but i'm not sure if they have looked at the table.  Some of the comments are just silly.  We have some of the lowest attendances in the league?  Our ground is always sold out, we would have a higher attendance if we had a bigger ground.  They try to spin it as if we have an empty ground, just like theirs after half time.

We are a team riding on confidence?  At what point does playing with confidence coexist with having the ability as I think that's where we are at.  Vardy will struggle to get 12, he's scored 1 less than their whole team.  Our goals will dry up?  We have 7 different scorers.

Lets see if they can turn draws into wins.  Lets see if Sunderland can turn losses into draws.  We've played 5 of the same teams, drawn the games they lost and won the games they drew.

• Like 2

Has their stadium argument (between club, council and stadium owner) been sorted then?

It was strange about the possibility of them maybe having to play at Northampton's ground.

They play at the Ricoh but as tenants of London Wasps Rugby Team.