Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Sunderland fans. Funny. Using their "history" as validation on how massive they are. They actually use the line of being "England's sixth most successful club" - based on the fact that there are only five clubs that have won more top-flight titles. 

Fair play, some might say - but maybe not after considering that of the six title wins, half were won in the 1890s and the last one was in 1936. 

Using that logic, Wanderers, a club currently playing in the Surrey South Eastern Combination (12th level in the pyramid), has a shout of being England's ninth best team – because with five FA Cup wins in the 1870s, only eight clubs have won more. 

No one can deny Sunderland their two golden eras – the 1890s and the 1930s – and good for them. But having a big, half-empty stadium and a trophy cabinet that's been gathering dust for 80 years (apart from that one FA Cup 42 years ago) hardly means they remain a footballing powerhouse. 

Having a rich history is a great thing. There's no doubt Sunderland's is far more impressive than ours.

When it comes to future fortunes, though, I've seen little in the past 10 years that would suggest Sunderland will be outperforming us. I'd even go out on a limb to say that – comparing the behaviours of our corresponding owners – I've seen much more to suggest the opposite.

• Like 2

The whole "big club" argument will never be settled!  It can never be won by one side or the other.

For me there are a handful of big clubs in the entire world!  For me a big club is a club that has competed constantly over decades, not just a few years.  A big club has enough pull to attract any player from any other team in the world, a big club not only has history it has a future and more importantly is competing in the present.  And with the way the world of football is in this era it has to be a big brand.  So Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich sit at the top of the pile.  The likes of our English "big clubs" sit just below them, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea. 

Everyone else, particularly in England and in the top flight in this case, are on a level par.

I would say that most people would think that Celtic would compete well in the English Championship but would struggle in the premier league, but who is the bigger team?  Celtic or Sunderland?  It's an objective argument

I for one don't care too much about our history and what happened before I was old enough to remember.  The history we have since I became a fan, to me, are just happy memories, the playoff finals, the league cup finals, the brief trips to Europe, the league 1 title, the championship title.

I certainly don't care about titles won in the 50's or European cups won before I was born.  If you haven't been able to repeat them, to sustain a challenge over a good few years, decades even then you are not a big club, you just got lucky once or twice.  Who's bigger??  Don't care, it's about who's better.

This.

I wish someone would start a Sunderland love in thread because I'm sick of coming into this thread and 9 times out of 10 the discussion is bleeding Sunderland.

If people think Sunderland are obsessed with us then I think some of our fans are obsessed with them or certainly that forum. If you're that bothered stop going on that fecking forum.

You could give me the same advice with this thread but the difference is this thread is a general thread about articles/opinions on us although recently it's the 'What Sunderland think of us' thread. :yawn:

Sunderlove. Personally couldnt give two shit about them but find myself getting caught up in reading about it all and then have to remind myself that Im a grown up.

How about a quick "do they mean us" historical post to distract from Sunderland.

I was in a Google-chain and found this from Citywire.co.uk from 2000. Mentions the Freemans Wharf site, mentions our minescule profit, and does an excellent job foreshadowing the problems ahead for us and clubs across Europe!

by Laurence Fletcher on Nov 02, 2000 at 11:31

Leicester City, currently fourth in the Premier League, has broken into profit and has agreed to buy a site to build a replacement stadium - but it's not all good news. As is rapidly becoming the norm for football companies, soaring player wages are hitting trading performance.

Pre-tax profit for the year to July was £600,000, compared with a loss of £6.2 million last year, while turnover rose 9% to £26 million. Unlike last year, the company will pay a final dividend. The 0.4p payout represents a total dividend of 0.7p, compared with 0.3p.

Despite the pleasing results, Leicester warned that ‘continued upward pressure on our football cost base during the year, due in part to the success of our team, has had an adverse affect on our trading performance’.

It also warned that, in spite of the success of its youth academy, which has seen five players come through last year and the appointment of Alan Hill at its helm, ‘our strategy may change if the proposed reform to the transfer system does not properly address compensation for players who graduate through the youth academy’. Leicester said that, unlike big clubs such as Manchester United and Liverpool, it ‘cannot consistently compete for top international players’.

However, the club said that recent changes to its management structure have meant that ‘a great deal of positive progress has been made since the much-publicised internal problems of late last year’.

The club has also agreed to buy 22 acres at Freeman’s Wharf from PowerGen, for up to £7 million. The new 32,000-seater stadium will replace the existing ground at Filbert Street.

Nevertheless, it looks like the same old story for a football company: rising revenue from TV and ground attendances, more than balanced by worries about the transfer system and its effect on the youth academy, and, more importantly, uncontrollable player wage costs.

Leicester is not slow to admit this: ‘The new broadcasting contract will have a considerable positive impact on future media revenues. However, the benefit of future earnings will be largely determined by our ability to control our future wage costs’.

Given that most clubs have already given up trying to control wage costs at any reasonable level (Manchester United recently admitted that salaries would inevitably rise, and that its strategy was merely to increase income at a quicker rate), it is easy to see there are considerable risks associated with investing in a football club.

With Leicester already out of the UEFA cup and unlikely to finish in the top four in the league, revenues have little potential to soar, unlike those of Manchester United or perhaps Leeds.

Leicester are also out of this year's Worthington Cup after being hammered 3-0 last night by Crystal Palace, who are currently second to bottom in the First Division.

• Like 3

How about a quick "do they mean us" historical post to distract from Sunderland.

I was in a Google-chain and found this from Citywire.co.uk from 2000. Mentions the Freemans Wharf site, mentions our minescule profit, and does an excellent job foreshadowing the problems ahead for us and clubs across Europe!

lol leeds have potential to soar

This.

I wish someone would start a Sunderland love in thread because I'm sick of coming into this thread and 9 times out of 10 the discussion is bleeding Sunderland.

If people think Sunderland are obsessed with us then I think some of our fans are obsessed with them or certainly that forum. If you're that bothered stop going on that fecking forum.

You could give me the same advice with this thread but the difference is this thread is a general thread about articles/opinions on us although recently it's the 'What Sunderland think of us' thread. :yawn:

Best post for six bloody months....Too many young uns acting like old grannies on here, beating the same ol carpet.

look!! just to kill this off,

Whether Sunderland have won something or not since, john Wayne road on Stagecoach, or Clint Eastwoods boss was,

Gil favor.

Both Newcastle and Sunderland, could fill a stadium of 70+thousand at the old Roker stdm.

That makes them ffs a bigger club, on crowd draw alone, we have won peep all.

We like ipswich and palace are small, but just far more handsome, leave it at that, itscfkg boring now.

I don't get that Sunderland forum.

Away up there earlier in the year we were boozing in the city centre before and after. Hearing us speak was pretty obvious we were away fans and got nothing but praise for our club. A real friendly city.

my experience exactly......... the power of the interent to distort reality by allowing the extremes to dominate rather than the vast majority

Nah can't see it, they've got decent fans who are probably as happy as ours atm. We've actually had quite similar recent history

I do like Southampton and there seems to be mutual respect so I agree with you. Was just sending that really to highlight how silly the Sunderland beef is.

The water in the north east has been contaminated by the oil and steel works....it has had a major effect on the IQ of the poor unfortunates who reside there........I only feel pity..... I pray every night in gratitude for not living in there........ a god forsaken shight hole........that is the deluded north east fans though...............................

Edited by johnny the fox

I've despised Sunderland for a long time for an array of reasons.

Now I hate them even more because this thread used to be great, now it's all about them.

Can't we go back to when you could come in here, click a link to the forum of the team we play this week, and laugh at them when they say we have no pace? Please?

Sunderland fans claiming to be a massive successful club because they won a few trophies in 45bc is like Germany claiming to be a big success with wars because they emerged victorious from the Franco-Prussian war.

Wow history and humour really work well together.......

• Like 1

The fact of the matter is, every time we play (well, play a team outside the top six) there's some guy on here who will 'they ain't nothing special', 'easy win', '3-0'. Then it's mostly the same type of guy who will wander into the opposition forums, then look disgustingly as an opposition fan has dared say they might win 2-0 or have too much for us. Then they'll come back on here spluttering about how arrogant they are and how much of a tinpot club they are. At that point the opposition forum cops on to what they said and react. That's exactly what happened with Watford, with Hull and now with Sunderland. If there weren't bellends on both sides who can dish it out and then act mortified that they dare think an opposition fan backs, shock, horror, THEIR OWN TEAM in a match, then we wouldn't be constantly posting this boring shite over and over again.

• Like 2

The fact of the matter is, every time we play (well, play a team outside the top six) there's some guy on here who will 'they ain't nothing special', 'easy win', '3-0'. Then it's mostly the same type of guy who will wander into the opposition forums, then look disgustingly as an opposition fan has dared say they might win 2-0 or have too much for us. Then they'll come back on here spluttering about how arrogant they are and how much of a tinpot club they are. At that point the opposition forum cops on to what they said and react. That's exactly what happened with Watford, with Hull and now with Sunderland. If there weren't bellends on both sides who can dish it out and then act mortified that they dare think an opposition fan backs, shock, horror, THEIR OWN TEAM in a match, then we wouldn't be constantly posting this boring shite over and over again.

Yes 100%. What sad loser would go on to another team forum anyway and set up a profile aswell, what are you hoping to achieve. Wankers lot of um!