Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Why do all pundits seem to recycle the one line on us: "they aren't making it to Europe. They aren't getting relegated". Who said we aren't making it into Europe?! Yes we've had a few clangers lately but I'd say we're still in prime position to finish 7th (1 point behind Burnley is hardly a mountain to climb) and if a top 4 team wins the FA Cup we'll qualify in 8th anyway.

Yes I'd love us to win the FA Cup ourselves of course! But to say our season is irrelevant because we can't get relegated or make Europe is absolute nonsense!

1 hour ago, TK95 said:

Why do all pundits seem to recycle the one line on us: "they aren't making it to Europe. They aren't getting relegated". Who said we aren't making it into Europe?! Yes we've had a few clangers lately but I'd say we're still in prime position to finish 7th (1 point behind Burnley is hardly a mountain to climb) and if a top 4 team wins the FA Cup we'll qualify in 8th anyway.

Yes I'd love us to win the FA Cup ourselves of course! But to say our season is irrelevant because we can't get relegated or make Europe is absolute nonsense!

8th isn't a European spot, nor will it be. England only gets 7 spots after all. It's get past Burnley and hope top six wins FA cup, or win FA cup.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

I'd get Albrighton on at RB

3 minutes ago, deep blue said:

That was my thought every time Simpson passed poorly or failed to support the attack ... but we got there in the end,

Ah, wrong thread :whistle:

On 05/02/2018 at 09:29, Izzy Muzzett said:

Some Liverpool cvnt fan on TalkSport phone in just now talking about John Moss and how he helped Leicester ‘fluke’ their way to the title a few seasons ago.

Pisses me off how others still think we fluked it despite winning it by TEN fvckin points. 

Liverpool fans can say whatever the fu*k they want as far as I'm concerned. Its decades since they won the title and they are now a second line feeder club for the really big boys

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Koke said:

If a Sheffield United fan doesn't mention administration is he really a Sheffield United fan?

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-time-has-passed-us-by.62400/

"because those cheating cocks did it twice."

assuming the second time was 02/03, when was the first?

Bet they still whine about Tevez as well. Why Wednesday are the far more likeable Sheffield side, they're not whiny bastards holding decade long grudges about their team being shit. 

31 minutes ago, Koke said:

If a Sheffield United fan doesn't mention administration is he really a Sheffield United fan?

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-time-has-passed-us-by.62400/

Haha! It's bizarre how much they resent us for that 2002/03 season. I can smell the boiled piss from here.

This is the highlight, for me:

"Spot on assessment. Speaking to some of their fans this morning at breakfast in my hotel. Some have only been supporters for the last few years after they went bust!!. A couple of others admitted that their.club had broken the rules and then fell silent. Their parting words to me as I left were less than complimentary. I think I hit a nerve!. **** em. Utb"

I'm guessing the part where they 'fell silent' was the part where everyone decided that he was an obnoxious dickhead and turned back to concentrate on their breakfasts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

OP is largely pretty good I think but it's funny to think people are still holding onto the fact we "cheated" twice 15 years ago.

Someone even suggested they would rather be in their situation having not cheated, than winning the league supposedly illegitimately.

They have clearly forgotten we went to the lowest point we have ever been to as a club, and then spanked league 1 and the championship on our way to the great escape and our subsequent title win. I wonder why that isn't in the narrative..

9 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Haha! It's bizarre how much they resent us for that 2002/03 season. I can smell the boiled piss from here.

This is the highlight, for me:

"Spot on assessment. Speaking to some of their fans this morning at breakfast in my hotel. Some have only been supporters for the last few years after they went bust!!. A couple of others admitted that their.club had broken the rules and then fell silent. Their parting words to me as I left were less than complimentary. I think I hit a nerve!. **** em. Utb"

I'm guessing the part where they 'fell silent' was the part where everyone decided that he was an obnoxious dickhead and turned back to concentrate on their breakfasts.

Those in their mid twenties now were in primary school when we went into admin - why is he surprised there are fans we didn't have 15 years ago? 

Why didn't they turn up in the play-off final against Wolves? Why didn't they reach the play-offs in the next two seasons? Why didn't they draw at home to Wigan to stay up after winning promotion, or beat Burnley in 2009 play-off final?

Yes, they probably do have valid criticisms. But don't let it be said that 2002/03 was their only opportunity to win promotion and since then it's been nothing. They've had chances to win promotion and stay in the Premier League and failed to take them. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Corky said:

Why didn't they turn up in the play-off final against Wolves? Why didn't they reach the play-offs in the next two seasons? Why didn't they draw at home to Wigan to stay up after winning promotion, or beat Burnley in 2009 play-off final?

Yes, they probably do have valid criticisms. But don't let it be said that 2002/03 was their only opportunity to win promotion and since then it's been nothing. They've had chances to win promotion and stay in the Premier League and failed to take them. 

Wouldn't say they've even got that. The key players were remaining from the top flight squad that we didn't manage to sell, or refused to leave (izzet). There are criticisms as to how we ended up in that situation but let's not pretend their claims we did it to "keep players we couldn't afford" are anything more than sour bollocks. 

3 minutes ago, RutlanderFox said:

I’m sorry I’m too young to remember this. Could someone kindly please inform me what they’re referring to in 2002/03?

We came down from the top flight 01/02 with the new stadium just built, and in a bit of a financial hole having been planned for on the basis of top flight football. Sold several players including Matt Piper, then ITVDigital collapsed (due to underhand tactics from sky), wrecking the tv money and putting us even more in the shit.

Club went into administration, with the usual effects (creditors being paid a fraction of what they owe), which angered some people, and the ten point deduction was introduced in response to it. We didn't get the deduction though and were promoted in second, 12 points ahead of Sheffield United. 

• Thanks 1