Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

8 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I know a couple of Sheffield United fans who are absolutely lovely people, they're family friends of Harry Maguire as it goes, but some of the wallopers on that thread are surreal. One bloke's pointed out that claiming they're bigger than us is just embarrassing, and he just gets absolutely rounded on as though he's suggested renaming Bramall Lane the Jimmy Savile Arena. Strange lot.

Not sure where they get that from. 

Even outside of 2015/16 we've been in the premier league nearly 50% of the time.They've had 3 seasons and not only spent more time in the championship but also more time in the 3rd tier from 1992 to now.

In spite of all that I wouldn't begrudge them promotion. The playoffs is going to add a bit of intrigue as I'd expect villa,Bristol,derby and the blades to be in the mix.

They've got a bigger honours list than us but all of their trophies were won when teams played 1-1-8 formations and you were supposed to hurt people off the ball. It doesn't diminish the achievements but really when the only information relevant to your success is in periodicals, on wikipedia or in the British Pathé archives then you've essentially done **** all for about a century. 

Edited by Wookie

35 minutes ago, Wookie said:

They've got a bigger honours list than s but all of their trophies were won when teams played 1-1-8 formations and you were supposed to hurt people off the ball. It doesn't diminish the achievements but really when the only information relevant to your success is in periodicals, on wikipedia or in the British Pathé archives then you've essentially done **** all for about a century. 

So basically much bigger than us. In black and white.

• Haha 3

On 2/19/2018 at 07:43, Wymeswold fox said:

From the BBC:

Leicester have sent scouts to watch Benfica full-back Andre Almeida, 27, and winger Rafa Silva, 24. Both players were linked with the Foxes in January. (O Jogo via Leicester Mercury)

O Jogon and the Mockery -  must be true.

Got to say, I quite like Sheffield United. Bramall Lane was the first away game I went to with mates. It was in the relegation season, when we were 3-0 down and with 10 men after 18 minutes lol 

The history thing is always strange. You can't deny that it helps to define a club, but I'd be gutted if I hadn't been alive for Leicester's greatest triumphs, especially if you can't even watch the footage. 

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

The reality is that there's about 20 clubs in this country of a similar size- same sorts of fanbase, 28-35k stadiums, spending most of their time in the top two tiers. Some had more success than others before the PL era, but it ultimately counts for very little other than arguments with fans of other clubs. 

We, on the other hand, have enjoyed our greatest success in the modern era. We've all seen our club win the league, and everyone over 25 has seen us win cups. Amazing really, and I wouldn't swap those memories for a more extensive honours list on Wikipedia, particularly if every entry of it dates back to before WW2.

Or in the case of Sheff Utd before WW1 (or during the Boer War!).

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Got to say, I quite like Sheffield United. Bramall Lane was the first away game I went to with mates. It was in the relegation season, when we were 3-0 down and with 10 men after 18 minutes lol 

The history thing is always strange. You can't deny that it helps to define a club, but I'd be gutted if I hadn't been alive for Leicester's greatest triumphs, especially if you can't even watch the footage. 

Was that the "shoes off" one at Bramall Lane? Quality day if so.

1 hour ago, Lovejoy said:

Was that the "shoes off" one at Bramall Lane? Quality day if so.

Yep, and James beattie scored a hat trick in 6 minutes:blink:It was a goood away end as i recall and Holloway got his shoes off and clapped them!

Edited by PAULCFC

On 2/20/2018 at 21:25, Wookie said:

They've got a bigger honours list than us but all of their trophies were won when teams played 1-1-8 formations and you were supposed to hurt people off the ball. It doesn't diminish the achievements but really when the only information relevant to your success is in periodicals, on wikipedia or in the British Pathé archives then you've essentially done **** all for about a century. 

It will never lose its significance to that club but in the game it does. Some things go beyond it- I would say Nottingham Forest's European Cups will remain in the limelight, I think our title win because of the unexpected nature of it will too, but if we'd won the title in 1929 or 1956 would it really hold that much significance outside of Leicester at this time?

I've mentioned before that selective nostalgia is a big part of football. Why is a short period of success any more relevant than years of mediocrity? League football has been around for 130 years, FA Cup football longer and it moves in cycles. But then you're always going to say your achievement is greater, aren't you?

• Like 1

A little bit from Neil Warnock:

Commenting on reports the Cardiff squad could share a £10m bonus if they go up automatically, Warnock said: "I think you just have to take it with a little bit of pinch of salt.

"I read in the same report Leicester had £6.7m - so inflation, eh?"

Oh my fvcking god! 

The funniest thing is, if anything happened to cause our title to be stripped their would just be a gap in the history. If they did give it to another team,  they would have to scratch all of our results which means Arsenal would lose the 6 points they got off us and Spurs would lose just the one so they would be handed the title. 

Well exactly ... their promotion in the 1919 season was apparently down to the then Liverpool chairman John McKenna making an impassioned speech to reward them for their loyalty to the FA ..... at the expense of Tottenham who were relegated (bearing in mind Arsenal were fifth in the second division that year!!!!!) ... talk about a stitch up and old-boys!!!!? ...

time to let it go .... Leicester won the Premier League fairly or otherwise, but that’s the history of football ... rich, complex, distorted, fair, unfair and a whole lot more and there really are so many more stories about behind closed doors ‘fixes’ in the beautiful game that yes, it’s time to let it go!

On 23/02/2018 at 21:15, The Doctor said:

That might be the stupidest thing ever posted in this thread... Promotion wasn't illegitimate to start with, and even then how could the EFL strip us of a trophy for a competition they don't have control over?

Yeah they can't that's the funniest thing about it. Typical big club fans, no actual clue how football really works.

One would like to think they aren't being serious;

• Like 1