Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

18 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Finished Suburra. 

I'd row back on the claim that I enjoyed it as much as Narcos, the second half tailed off a little bit and didn't quite live up to the first five or six episodes. 

Still recommend it quite comfortably though, really solid crime drama and the Italians pull off mob thrillers with pretty self explanatory more authenticity than most others. 

Didn't realise it was the prequel to a film, have to dig that out. 

Suburra is great to be fair and the film

have you seen Gomorrah also? Naples version of Suburra (which is based in Rome of course) 

both are great imho

29 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Suburra is great to be fair and the film

have you seen Gomorrah also? Naples version of Suburra (which is based in Rome of course) 

both are great imho

Yeah, I refer you to my post on the previous page where I started Suburra. 

Love Gomorrah (see ava.)

Terrific show if hard to watch at times, I don't think I've ever seen anything so bleak. Barely a hint of any humour or irony anywhere, just unrelentingly cruel. 

Got a little bit lighter with Blue Blood but it didn't take long for Ciro to corrupt that as well lol

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah, I refer you to my post on the previous page where I started Suburra. 

Love Gomorrah (see ava.)

Terrific show if hard to watch at times, I don't think I've ever seen anything so bleak. Barely a hint of any humour or irony anywhere, just unrelentingly cruel. 

Got a little bit lighter with Blue Blood but it didn't take long for Ciro to corrupt that as well lol

Apologies @Finnegan didn’t even notice your avatar lol my eyesight umm might need checking lol 

anyway apologies i didnt go far back enough on the thread 

• Like 1

Finally got round to watching Doctor Who set in 1950s Alabama.

Best episode of Doctor Who in years.  Really gripping episode and has got a lot of people talking.  Very powerful episode, thank goodness Moffat has gone.

Really surprised at how good Bradley Walsh is in this as well, thought he'd be terrible, but he's been great so far.

On 27/10/2018 at 16:54, Tuna said:

Another victim of political correctness and SJWs gone mad.

From what I gather, for nearly 30 years, nobody cared. But now, it suddenly matters.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2018 at 09:16, MC Prussian said:

From what I gather, for nearly 30 years, nobody cared. But now, it suddenly matters.

Really? Because it's quite easy to find articles from over a decade ago talking about the character being problematic: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2007/jul/16/theaputragedy

Less no-one cared, more no-one listened.

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 09:16, MC Prussian said:

The PCers and SJWs will have no one saying anything soon for want of offending someone/thing :ph34r:

59 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Just started the new series of House of Cards. Loved the other series but it looks like there’s no Spacey so I’m not sure how good it’s gonna be

You are aware why aren't you?

Finished off the latest It's Always Sunny. Nice final episode but I think the It's Always Sunny I loved for years is kinda... Over? The characters that are giant assholes whom dont care about anything or anyone are no more. I barely managed a smirk at anything in most of the episodes and the gang arent even together for a lot of it. No Dennis no party. 

I will rewatch season 1-12 for the hundredth time and forget this one happened.

On 20/10/2018 at 21:13, Finnegan said:

I can't remember if there's any Gomorrah fans in here (always stuck me as something I thought you'd enjoy @MattP) - incredibly, incredibly dark Naples crime drama and one of my favourite shows of the last few years.

Whilst waiting for Season 4 and the Ciro origins movie they're doing, there's been a bit of a hole really as there's not too much like it. 

But Netflix have released a series called Suburra set in Rome and its been really, really good so far. It's a bit of a middle ground between Gomorrah and House of Cards, multi layered with both a criminal and political element running side by side. 

Being Rome, its not quite as gritty as being set on a Naples housing estate and there isn't quite the same level of violence (though there's still plenty in it, just less action in general) but its very well paced in its own right and its never, ever slow. 

Gomorrah is notable for having as close to zero humour as you can get in a show, it was as bleak as it gets with few jovial characters at all. Suburra isn't a comedy by any stretch but there are a couple of lighter moments, comparable to the Wire or the Sopranos in occasional humour. There's a really fun, enjoyable dynamic between the three "main" characters that form the unlikely focal trio that's cracked me up a few times. 

It's well written, well directed and really well performed, I've binged through it in a couple of days. 

Would highly recommend it to any fans of gang dramas and the mafia. 

Netflix originals can be hugely hit and miss, for every Stranger Things there's a bunch of shit teen dramas or knock off American crap but this is definitely coming from the House of Cards end of the scale. I'd go as far as go say I've enjoyed it as much as Narcos season 1.

Gomorrah is class, best show going atm. Suburra sounds interesting, might give it ago but as you say with netflix shows they're very hit and miss and most recently have been going down in quality. Think the last good netflix original i enjoyed was the sinner