Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

On 14/11/2018 at 11:17, urban.spaceman said:

Only a few episodes left of Haunting of Hill House. Really enjoying it personally.

Reveal hidden contents

My brother in law was sitting there complaining during episode 6 (Two Storms episode) that nothing was happening whereas I was bloody loving it - there was about 5 or 6 single shot long takes in one episode, each at least 5 minutes long, where the camera did multiple 360s while swapping actors with their younger counterparts and back again, Nell being swapped with Bent Neck Lady and her reappearing amongs the other characters, then following the dad down the corridor of the funeral home and ending up in the house in the past. Love it from a directing and editing standpoint.

I did have to sleep with the light on last night though. 

I echo Urban's sentiments.   Started this few days ago and cannot recommend it enough.   It have been a such long time since I get that addictive buzz from watching a TV series.   It is a wonderful combination of family drama and horror which the latter is not my favourite genre normally.    I have just finished episode six and for me it is up there to other series'  masterful episodes  (Red Wedding from GOT etc).   The amount of top notch writing and thought that went into the build up for the episode and to make it work with flashbacks is utterly superb.  

I think the series is quite underated on here,  do not write it off as the latest Netflix craze,  do give it a watch even if you don't like horrors normally.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Very keen for new Last Kingdom on Netflix tomorrow.

Quite enjoyed the first season but some of the acting was too wooden. I started the second season and then gave up as the storyline and acting became for me, too predictable. Great idea though and I love histoical epics. Really enjoyed Vikings and the excellent Marco Polo.

The "slow burner" claims for Hill House are a bit odd. If anything, I thought it got a bit slower towards the end. 

I thought the pacing was excellent to begin with, I can only assume I like a different sort of horror to some others. Suspense with the occasional creep / jump is much better than wall to wall shocks and screams. 

Homecoming on Amazon Prime.

Directed (although not created) by Sam Esmail of Mr Robot fame, it's a psychological thriller of sorts focusing around the reintegration of soldiers returning from war-zones who are likely suffering with varying degrees of PTSD.

It stars Julia Roberts who is fantastic in the role of Heidi Bergman - a caseworker at the mysterious Homecoming facility. The supporting cast do a good job too; particularly Bobby Cannavale - another Mr Robot alumni - and Shea Whigham as a fastidious Department of Defence clerk.

I'm about halfway through the season so can't comment on the entire thing just yet. So far the suspense building is great and the signature dark and moody cinematography combined with the two different time periods (very clearly identified - unlike Westworld!) make for intriguing viewing as the uncertain nature of the happenings at Homecoming slowly unfold.

One minor quibble, although it's more of an observation - the episodes are just shy of 30 minutes each when I'd expect them to be around 45 minutes for a series of this type. It's a bit jarring as the episode ends just when you think it could be ramped up an extra notch, but it does mean each episode is pretty flab-free.

On 22/11/2018 at 00:18, Carl the Llama said:

Into the Badlands on Amazon Prime.  I was told Nick Frost is in it... it's not as funny as I was expecting but I'm willing to forgive it for the interesting Wild West meets Martial Arts in the dystopian future setting.

Very enjoyable series, providing you're not looking for something deep and meaningful (which I rarely am). Season three seems to have gone into a permanent 'mid season break'.

25 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

The World at War on yesterday channel. Documentary from the 70s.

The battle of Stalingrad episode was on last night. 

Still a brilliant show decades later. 

Brilliant series. Isn't it Laurence Olivier that narrates? Each episode is it's own classic. 

1 minute ago, Blue ROI said:

Yes it's olivier that narrates. 

Watchef it about 5 years ago. Only realised it was on going through the channels last night after 6.

The detail involved is staggering. 

It's rare for any UK TV of that kind to have so many episodes. I guess when they tackled it, they decided to cover it fully. Staggering is the correct word for the detail :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Re watching Luther, so bloody good.

The first season was excellent the most recent season was not that good IMO.

I haven't been watching TV series or films for the last 6 months but started again last week - winter is coming. trying to catch up on "recommendations". 

Patrick Melrose - weird drug filled first episode but not interesting enough to get me to watch anymore - binned.

Bulletproof - looked like it could be a decent "no need for brain series" it started poorly - binned

Safe - through 5 episodes - it is interesting but has so many plot holes and illogical actions that I'm still not sure if I'll finish it. Should I?

Humans - through 2 episodes - quite enjoying it, simple and thoughtful so far without stretching any intellectual/philosophical boundaries - anyone else watched this?

Ozark S2 - jumping around a bit more than S1 and I'm finding the lead character's actions less believable, but the women are certainly playing good roles - sticking with this.

Yellowstone - watched the first extended episode last night - a bit predictable and stereotyped for me but my wife likes westerns so will give another episode a shot - anybody with comments for me?

others in the queue: Any comments would be much appreciated to save my time

Mr. Mercedes S2 - enjoyed the first

informer 

Black earth rising

kidding

bodyguard

Who is america?

Godless

Liar

and of course Vikings is back this week - really looking forward to that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying Narcos Mexico and I do like Diego Luna but I do have to chuckle every time someone upsets him. He really does have this sort of cute, upset little boy look that makes you just want to give him a hug and tell him it'll be alright. 

It's not exactly fierce crime lord. 

I suppose that's the point, that Gallardo isn't and/or wasn't your archetypal mobster but still. Does make me chuckle. 

I'm also curious to know if Scoot Mcnairy was cast to narrate because he sounds similar to Boyd Holbrook.