Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Watched 5 minutes of The Fix on Netflix. Vile. Unfunny “stand ups” doing poor gags to what is blatantly canned laughter. Painful. Avoid. 

Yeah it was shockingly bad. Managed to scrape my way through 1 episode and maybe it's just the difference between US and UK humour. Maybe needs a different host as Jimmy Carr is probably too good for it or just doesn't fit in the whole set-up properly.

Guest seanfox778

I had heard good things about The Ranch on Netflix. Lasted about 5 mins, had a laughter track and all the acting seemed so clunky. I have a strong dislike for laughter tracks. 

Felt a bit let down by this series of Luther.  Felt they completely ruined Alice's character and the whole "Luther in trouble with Cockney gangster man" side story was getting a bit annoying.  I always think Luther is best when he is trying to just catch some mad lad killer.  On so many occasions series get ruined by going on for too long.  X

Edited by RumbleFox

I actually agree with FIF on one thing re Luther. Ruth Wilson played Alice terribly in this series. Not sure if it's because she hasn't played the part in years on what, but the performance just seems off. Enjoyed the series as a whole though, but previous ones have been better.

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Felt a bit let down by this series of Luther.  Felt they completely ruined Alice's character and the whole "Luther in trouble with Cockney gangster man" side story was getting a bit annoying.  I always think Luther is best when he is trying to just catch some mad lad killer.  On so many occasions series get ruined by going on for too long.  X

The cockney gangster side story became the main story at the expensive of an extremely interesting maniac killer storyline which fizzled out despite a massive killing spree, Alice should of been omitted from this latest series completely.

20 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

I had heard good things about The Ranch on Netflix. Lasted about 5 mins, had a laughter track and all the acting seemed so clunky. I have a strong dislike for laughter tracks. 

I know what you mean, it's very awkward at first but it really does find its feet. I'd suggest sticking with it for the season as it gets much less comedic and more about drama, though it still keeps sticking the one liners in there for the laugh track. 

Sam Elliott is really good in it, Ashton Kutcher's brother steals every scene, and I have a thing for Elisha Cuthbert. 

Tbf Luther has been largely disappointing rubbish since the first season. I've watched it from the start and it's all very meh. 

It suffers from the classic problem a lot of BBC drama does and that's a finite budget. 

In Luther's case it all went on the cast. The premise and the performances are great, Elba and Wilson are brilliant but so are some of the support cast it's had over the years, people like Steven Mackintosh, Paul Mcgann, Pam Ferris etc who have all popped up. 

But the writing / stories are all absolute pump. It's like they ran out of money and had to pay the intern. It's a problem Netflix have at the minute they're lumping loads of cash in to big movie stars and there's loads of Netflix original projects at the minute with great cast and acting but just awful writing. Probably doesn't help that they can only afford Idris for a couple episodes a time. 

Peaky Blinders is one of the few BBC dramas to really get the balance and be quality from top to bottom.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tbf Luther has been largely disappointing rubbish since the first season. I've watched it from the start and it's all very meh. 

It suffers from the classic problem a lot of BBC drama does and that's a finite budget. 

In Luther's case it all went on the cast. The premise and the performances are great, Elba and Wilson are brilliant but so are some of the support cast it's had over the years, people like Steven Mackintosh, Paul Mcgann, Pam Ferris etc who have all popped up. 

But the writing / stories are all absolute pump. It's like they ran out of money and had to pay the intern. It's a problem Netflix have at the minute they're lumping loads of cash in to big movie stars and there's loads of Netflix original projects at the minute with great cast and acting but just awful writing. Probably doesn't help that they can only afford Idris for a couple episodes a time. 

Peaky Blinders is one of the few BBC dramas to really get the balance and be quality from top to bottom.

Agreed. I've found myself scoffing at Luther on more than occasion. And as much as I like it, even Peaky Blinders has the odd plot hole or requires a leap of faith with regards to the characters' motivations.

17 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

17 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I actually agree with FIF on one thing re Luther. Ruth Wilson played Alice terribly in this series. Not sure if it's because she hasn't played the part in years on what, but the performance just seems off. Enjoyed the series as a whole though, but previous ones have been better.

15 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

The cockney gangster side story became the main story at the expensive of an extremely interesting maniac killer storyline which fizzled out despite a massive killing spree, Alice should of been omitted from this latest series completely.

Well, I think it just needs to be shelved. The Maniac killer and wife story could have been so much more interesting if they just ditched the Luther/Gangster/Alice storyline and concentrated on it fully.

Alice was a disaster and so far out of tune with the alice in Season 1 and 2 it was as though she'd had an operation. The Gangster was boring and stereotyped to the core. And all the deaths of secondary characters was irrelevant.

But I must say I've continued watching Black Earth Rising and I'm enjoying that now.

8 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Did anyone else watch some Dutch woman wash her hair in Ben Fogles piss instead of the football tonight?

Well if the choices were washing her hair in piss or a football, I imagine the piss would be more effective.

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Just finished The Sopranos.

WHAAAAATTTTTT?!?!?!?

It can't end like that!

lol

I hated at first, but have since grown to love it.

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

You mean the ending?

Guess I'll be googling Soprano ending theories for the rest of the day lol

Yep. Do so as well, there were plenty from what I remember. 

Mine is pretty simple, the guy with the members only jacket came out of the toilet and shot Tony - hence it all went black - as Tony told Bobby Bacala it all would at the start of the final series.

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

Yep. Do so as well, there were plenty from what I remember. 

Mine is pretty simple, the guy with the members only jacket came out of the toilet and shot Tony - hence it all went black - as Tony told Bobby Bacala it all would at the start of the final series.

My initial theory although I've literally finished the series 10 minutes ago is that the black guys that come in are after AJ for his role in beating that guy on the bike a few episodes before. Maybe they kill the whole family

Quite comfortably the best show I've ever watched. The complexity of the characters mixed with their self made codes of conduct were brilliantly portrayed. Hard to say who my favourite character was as they all have so many flaws. Despite watching all 9 series Tony still has an air of unpredictability. At times you really feel like you know him and that he's a good guy deep down and the bad things he does he has no choice but then he'll do something that shocks you (killing Chris as the main example). It still leaves you feeling like he is a decent person in the end imo.

Chris and Pauli are the funniest characters by far. That episode when they're hunting the Russian guy down had me in stitches. 

Oh and to top it all off it has some amazing women in it. Adriana :wub:

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Quite comfortably the best show I've ever watched. The complexity of the characters mixed with their self made codes of conduct were brilliantly portrayed. Hard to say who my favourite character was as they all have so many flaws. Despite watching all 9 series Tony still has an air of unpredictability. At times you really feel like you know him and that he's a good guy deep down and the bad things he does he has no choice but then he'll do something that shocks you (killing Chris as the main example). It still leaves you feeling like he is a decent person in the end imo.

Chris and Pauli are the funniest characters by far. That episode when they're hunting the Russian guy down had me in stitches. 

Oh and to top it all off it has some amazing women in it. Adriana :wub:

It's still the standard bearer for me as well.

As good as Breaking Bad, The Wire and The Shield were, nothing has topped the Sopranos, the fact the a few mobsters say it's the closest thing they have seen to real life gives it an extra edge as well.