Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

I’ve not given that fleabag the time of day but my wife thinks it’s great. I don’t like anything in which they talk directly to the camera.

If I read a description of it, I think I would be expecting it to be fairly awful. Have you got Miranda in your head, even subconsciously? If so, worry not.

I love it, I really do. The way it jumps from piss funny humour to tragedy and back again shouldn't work, but it just does. The supporting cast are great too

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Alan Partridge 2 episodes in and I’m not impressed, I’ll stick with it but the laughs are few and far between, which I can’t believe I’m saying as I love Partridge 

I'd hang in there.

It's always been a bit of a slow burner - people really didn't take to the second series of 'I'm Alan Partridge' to start with in particular.

It's very densely written, and I usually have to watch the episodes at least twice and often more to get all the laughs

On 05/03/2019 at 20:28, RoboFox said:

Started watching the Waco miniseries last night. Really enjoying it, despite its problems.

Taylor Kitsch is phenomenal as David Koresh, although it's pretty controversial in how sympathetic it is towards him and what he did and it occasionally struggles with the complexity of the events leading up to the siege.

Ive been meaning to watch this.. interesting that its being sympathetic to Koresh..as, from my understanding the murder of those people was not just cruel but also illegal

10 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

watching on plus 1. seems pretty legit so far. just a friendly weird pop star becoming best mates with a child. kinda heartwarming, really. 

10 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Brace yourself

10 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

michael would like it if you bend over and spread your cheeks 

okkkk time for bed 

Ouwwvsh.gif?noredirect

• Like 1

Episode 8 on ST Discovery is a masterpiece.

Highly recommend watching the original pilot from the original series The Cage before watching it, although the introduction does a decent job in filling in the gaps.

The characters are really starting to bed in now and there's a storm brewing.  What will Airiam do next?  lol

Watched the first 5 episodes of the new Ricky Gervais 'After Life' on Netflix last night.

Very funny but also very sad and a clever blend of the two. Gervais is a very talented bloke to write and direct it and he's actually a pretty good straight actor too.

Highly recommended.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Watched the first 5 episodes of the new Ricky Gervais 'After Life' on Netflix last night.

Very funny but also very sad and a clever blend of the two. Gervais is a very talented bloke to write and direct it and he's actually a pretty good straight actor too.

Highly recommended.

He's one of my favourite comedians, for sure. Very talented.

On 05/03/2019 at 19:17, Legend_in_blue said:

Well, here it is folks.  

The gaps in between are a bit too long for me ...   takes me a few episodes to remember what’s what ...    Is the one armed guy who shags his sister still in it ? ...  is the little guy from fantasy island still waddling around ? ..  the one who shot his dad on the crapper before he had a chance to wipe his arse ? ...  and the little girl who’s now a ninja ..   was she Sean Beans daughter ??  ...  in fact, is Sean dead or his he one of those frosty blokes now ???    :huh:

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Highly recommended.

Watched the whole series over the course of the day because it was too emotional to watch all in one go! It was absolutely brilliant. Heartbreaking, harrowing, emotional and ****ing hilarious all at the same time. I hope he doesn’t make a second series, as it was great as it’s own standalone thing. 

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

He's one of my favourite comedians, for sure. Very talented.

I ****ing love Gervais. Like Izzy said he’s extremely talented to write, direct and act in all his own things but his songs for Brent were brilliantly crafted and performed too. Saw him in 2017 when he came to the DeMontfort Hall, which was brilliant although quite short. Definitely one of my favourites. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Countryfox said:

The gaps in between are a bit too long for me ...   takes me a few episodes to remember what’s what ...    Is the one armed guy who shags his sister still in it ? ...  is the little guy from fantasy island still waddling around ? ..  the one who shot his dad on the crapper before he had a chance to wipe his arse ? ...  and the little girl who’s now a ninja ..   was she Sean Beans daughter ??  ...  in fact, is Sean dead or his he one of those frosty blokes now ???    :huh:

Yes, yes, yes, and no. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Watched the whole series over the course of the day because it was too emotional to watch all in one go! It was absolutely brilliant. Heartbreaking, harrowing, emotional and ****ing hilarious all at the same time. I hope he doesn’t make a second series, as it was great as it’s own standalone thing. 

Just watched the final episode and I agree - no need for a second series. A perfect ending and I hope he leaves it at that.

It was great that even with his millions and Hollywood friends he still decided to film in it middle England with British actors. Understated but beautifully done.

Think I must have got something in my eye towards the end :whistle:

Long live Ricky Gervais

13 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Highly recommend watching the original pilot from the original series The Cage before watching it, although the introduction does a decent job in filling in the gaps.

The characters are really starting to bed in now and there's a storm brewing.  What will Airiam do next?  lol

This season as a whole has been brilliant. I truly hope all the trek fans that instantly dismissed this show because the "klingons look weird" have given it a go. They are missing out otherwise!

On 09/03/2019 at 10:36, Legend_in_blue said:

14 hours ago, Innovindil said:

This season as a whole has been brilliant. I truly hope all the trek fans that instantly dismissed this show because the "klingons look weird" have given it a go. They are missing out otherwise!

I’m confused. 

The Klingons look as they have since TNG. 

What I’m not getting is why Pike is captain of the Enterprise - as I recall he only appeared in the original pilot. Why no Kirk?

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I’m confused. 

What I’m not getting is why Pike is captain of the Enterprise - as I recall he only appeared in the original pilot. Why no Kirk?

Because it's set before ToS and before Kirk took over from Pike. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I’m confused. 

Tbh I don't understand the criticism they received from the first series.  This season we've only had one episode based on them and they'd given them a head of hair.  Fair enough, but I still struggle to understand the criticism.

As for Pike he ran two 5 year missions aboard Enterprise before Kirk took over.  Discovery is set roughly 3 years into Pikes first 5 year mission, hence no Kirk.  Friday's Episode 8 is set about 3 years after The Cage, the original pilot.  Pike eventually becomes a fleet captain but is badly injured which sets up The Menagerie where Kirk takes him back to Talos IV one final time.

The guy who plays Pike is excellent.  I thought they would struggle to replace Lorca but no worries, he's excellent.

In order to maintain canon they'll have to somehow make out that it was never known Pike captained Discovery and assume Spoke never knew of Burnham.  Then there's Section 31 to deal with.  And Airiam.  And the Red Angel.  It's great on multiple fronts.

• Thanks 1