Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

16 hours ago, Innovindil said:

This season as a whole has been brilliant. I truly hope all the trek fans that instantly dismissed this show because the "klingons look weird" have given it a go. They are missing out otherwise!

I watched s1, disappointed with it on the grounds that it's good, high budget tv sci-fi but not good Trek which is criminal when Seth bloody Macfarlane has made a series that does Trek well in The Orville (episodic, exploring new concepts and telling standalone tales in each episode, that sort of thing).

I watched most of season 1 ST discovery but just couldn't get to the end. "Michael" was so boring and that other lass, forget her name, excruciatingly boring. I liked the Klingons. Even though I'd love to watch S2 I can't find the will power that was killed off in me by watching too many boring episodes of S1. I gave the orville a go, 5 or 6 episodes. It was sort of funny but the stories were too simplistic, obvious and the captain had a weird face, the cyborg (or whatever) sounded too much like Data, though the second in command certainly had some attractions. I've given up on that too though.

Just watched the first episode of a sci-fi series called the Expanse - has anyone watched it and can give me the lowdown on the rest of the season. It seemed worth giving a go.

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I watched s1, disappointed with it on the grounds that it's good, high budget tv sci-fi but not good Trek which is criminal when Seth bloody Macfarlane has made a series that does Trek well in The Orville (episodic, exploring new concepts and telling standalone tales in each episode, that sort of thing).

You really should give season 2 a go. They do really try and make it standalone episodes that fit in with the overall story. Pike delivers some great moments, and saru's episode was fantastic. With the addition of section 32 into the mix it has a bit more depth this time around. 

3 hours ago, FIF said:

I watched most of season 1 ST discovery but just couldn't get to the end. "Michael" was so boring and that other lass, forget her name, excruciatingly boring. I liked the Klingons. Even though I'd love to watch S2 I can't find the will power that was killed off in me by watching too many boring episodes of S1. I gave the orville a go, 5 or 6 episodes. It was sort of funny but the stories were too simplistic, obvious and the captain had a weird face, the cyborg (or whatever) sounded too much like Data, though the second in command certainly had some attractions. I've given up on that too though.

Just watched the first episode of a sci-fi series called the Expanse - has anyone watched it and can give me the lowdown on the rest of the season. It seemed worth giving a go.

Michael is boring, I'll give you that. 

And as for the expanse, I've watched the entire first season when it first released, and I honestly couldn't name a single character or tell you anything about the story. Not much of a lasting impression, although some of my nerdy friends swear it's great. lol

On 09/03/2019 at 11:13, Izzy said:

Watched the first 5 episodes of the new Ricky Gervais 'After Life' on Netflix last night.

Very funny but also very sad and a clever blend of the two. Gervais is a very talented bloke to write and direct it and he's actually a pretty good straight actor too.

Highly recommended.

Just watch all 6 this evening. Wasn't going to but couldn't stop watching.

It's an brilliant bit of television. It's a mix of funny, sad, thought provoking, joyous, all at the same time. It beautifully written and so well acted. Some hilarious moments. I loved the mugging scene and the ginger **** scene is a classic. When his dad blurts out "gay" I burst out laughing. But there's some really touching moments too, like when Sandy tells him to be happy.

One of the best things I've watched in a while.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, FIF said:

55 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

And as for the expanse, I've watched the entire first season when it first released, and I honestly couldn't name a single character or tell you anything about the story. Not much of a lasting impression, although some of my nerdy friends swear it's great. lol

The Expanse is fvcking brilliant.  It's a twisting political drama with a plethora of memorable characters (despite what Inno says :rolleyes: Miller, Chrisjen, Dawes, the entire Rocinante crew...), cool spaceships, spooky alien shit, interplanetary sabotage and freaking space Mormons.  Give it another go, Inno, I can't believe it's not right up your alley.

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

The Expanse is fvcking brilliant.  It's a twisting political drama with a plethora of memorable characters (despite what Inno says :rolleyes: Miller, Chrisjen, Dawes, the entire Rocinante crew...), cool spaceships, spooky alien shit, interplanetary sabotage and freaking space Mormons.  Give it another go, Inno, I can't believe it's not right up your alley.

You had me at freaking Space Mormons.

Edited by urban.spaceman

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

It's an brilliant bit of television. It's a mix of funny, sad, thought provoking, joyous, all at the same time. It beautifully written and so well acted. Some hilarious moments. I loved the mugging scene and the ginger **** scene is a classic. When his dad blurts out "gay" I burst out laughing. But there's some really touching moments too, like when Sandy tells him to be happy.

Yeah this.

Just wish it was a little longer!

On 11/03/2019 at 10:28, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Finally caught up with Game of Thrones, utterly fantastic series and it’s all set up nicely for the final series next month, can’t wait!!! 

I wish I could go back and watch it for the first time again. A lot of people say they don’t think it’ll be their thing (which is what I said) brilliant show

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lcfcell said:

I wish I could go back and watch it for the first time again. A lot of people say they don’t think it’ll be their thing (which is what I said) brilliant show

So many moments whilst watching this show where I’ve sat back and thought “what the **** just happened there” it’s been a brilliant watch so far.

• Like 1

Guest seanfox778
On 12/03/2019 at 18:54, lcfcell said:

Me too, my mate badgered me for about 2 months to watch it but I thought it looked awful.

6 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

Madeleine McCann documentary out on Netflix tomorrow, should be interesting. I’m sure all the weirdos on Twitter who love claiming her parents did it will enjoy it

Surprised that the film will be shown to the public, with the investigation still alive somewhat after all of these years of not knowing where she is/went.

Went onto Netflix for my weekly Discovery fix and ended up watching episode 1 of Love Death and Robots.

I have absolutely no idea where to begin  with that lol

Never seen anything like it but I'll stick with it for now.

Btw episode 9 of Discovery was superb.  Another excellent episode directed by Frakes.  

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 1

On 10/03/2019 at 21:35, Facecloth said:

I watched the first 4 episodes yesterday evening, really enjoyed them, very poignant at times, but also very funny, laughed so much at the sex addiction line “clearly invented by someone who got caught cheating “. 

11 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Went onto Netflix for my weekly Discovery fix and ended up watching episode 1 of Love Death and Robots.

I have absolutely no idea where to begin  with that lol

Never seen anything like it but I'll stick with it for now.

Btw episode 9 of Discovery was superb.  Another excellent episode directed by Frakes.  

Really am looking forward to see how the whole story-line pans out, season 2 has been awesome and alot better than the 1st one. Still cant warm up to Michael though, but i do like Tilly and Spock is sexually interesting. The whole tall dark quiet type. 

On a sad note though, why was there no 'The Orville' this week.. grrrrr