Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LeicesterBran

What Game Are You Playing At The Moment ?

5 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Getting excellent reviews.

Yeah definitely, and a few of the 9/10s (like IGN) read as if they are 10/10 as well. Literally the only complaints I can see are fairly long load times on certain levels, and 1 or 2 of the original soundtrack songs aren't included, as the licenses couldn't be arranged. All the old content remade top quality, hundreds of new challenges, online and offline multiplayer, leaderboards, park creator and sharing...  it's going to be one of those games you play until the next one is out

Gameplay is meant to be exactly how it was, just slicker. 

• Like 1

Can't believe how highly THPS1+2 is getting reviewed. Just goes to show - whilst graphics might - classic great gameplay doesn't age. The soundtrack was incredible, too, so glad they've stayed faithful to the original. 

EVERYONE I knew had at least one Tony Hawk game, so anyone in their late 20s or 30s will be absolutely crying over the nostalgia. I love that there's now a huge market for remakes of absolute classics - there's an abundance of riches from the 5th generation of consoles.

Oh, and fvck loot boxes.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Can't believe how highly THPS1+2 is getting reviewed. Just goes to show - whilst graphics might - classic great gameplay doesn't age.

Precisely that - I'd put the original Tony Hawk formula in the same category as Street Fighter 2 of gameplay that just pleases your thumbs. Never any fault or holdups, you smash out a combo from muscle memory and it just works - so satisfying to play

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Can't imagine getting anywhere near that lol

Nice job!

Cheers man! To be fair I played the original 2 religiously, and used to be able to get a 1m point combo on School 2 in the old days before they introduced wall plants and reverts - although I didn't revert once in my 1m combos today. Plus I spent a fair few hours today and yesterday purely going for that achievement lol 

If you're aiming for the big scores, there's a few tricks to improve your game:

- special grinds and special manuals will up your score drastically, make sure you have at least one of each assigned

- use grinds to keep your speed up, and switch between grinds and manuals often to stop the balance bars from catapulting (somewhat)

- assign as many specials as you can, I go for a low score grab and fliptrick, and a high score grab and fliptrick. The higher score ones usually require a lot more hangtime, so you have to be mindful where you use them

The hardest thing to get over is the stress, I find once I know a combo is over 500k I often make stupid mistakes!

• Thanks 1

Late to the party, but The Outer Worlds. Kind of Fallout (yeah, I know it's Obsidian) meets Borderlands in gameplay.

Amazing how you very early on are in a power plant full of hostile... deja vu time.

Starting to get into it. I like that at one point I was faced with a choice that I was genuinely torn as to which way to proceed. Don't think that has ever happened to me in a game before.

10 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Late to the party, but The Outer Worlds. Kind of Fallout (yeah, I know it's Obsidian) meets Borderlands in gameplay.

Amazing how you very early on are in a power plant full of hostile... deja vu time.

Starting to get into it. I like that at one point I was faced with a choice that I was genuinely torn as to which way to proceed. Don't think that has ever happened to me in a game before.

This will happen on more than 1 occasion. I really enjoyed the Outer Worlds. I remember finding myself really thinking which faction I wanted to stab in the back and which one I wanted to help out.

Some great weapons to find as well. I will revisit the game and play in the hardest mode. Where your companions actually die.

I got so, so hyped for Outer Worlds, preordered and was so disappointed. 

It felt so linear and empty. I loved the flavour that WAS in it but the content itself was just so shallow. 

I also realised I could just put a silencer on a good sniper rifle and cheese through the entire game. Nothing respawns either so the world feels even emptier once you've cleared a map and you're just running around wide open empty space. 

The art, locations, humour, world, writing, visuals are all there. But the gameplay itself just felt so 7/10. I was pretty underwhelmed. 

It was better than Fallout 4 but not a patch on New Vegas, which it really should have been. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I got so, so hyped for Outer Worlds, preordered and was so disappointed. 

It felt so linear and empty. I loved the flavour that WAS in it but the content itself was just so shallow. 

I also realised I could just put a silencer on a good sniper rifle and cheese through the entire game. Nothing respawns either so the world feels even emptier once you've cleared a map and you're just running around wide open empty space. 

The art, locations, humour, world, writing, visuals are all there. But the gameplay itself just felt so 7/10. I was pretty underwhelmed. 

It was better than Fallout 4 but not a patch on New Vegas, which it really should have been. 

Is there DLC for it already or did I imagine that?

I'm imagining a complete edition might come at some point and maybe that would be a better, more fleshed out proposition.

On 12/09/2020 at 20:51, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Cheers man! To be fair I played the original 2 religiously, and used to be able to get a 1m point combo on School 2 in the old days before they introduced wall plants and reverts - although I didn't revert once in my 1m combos today. Plus I spent a fair few hours today and yesterday purely going for that achievement lol 

If you're aiming for the big scores, there's a few tricks to improve your game:

- special grinds and special manuals will up your score drastically, make sure you have at least one of each assigned

- use grinds to keep your speed up, and switch between grinds and manuals often to stop the balance bars from catapulting (somewhat)

- assign as many specials as you can, I go for a low score grab and fliptrick, and a high score grab and fliptrick. The higher score ones usually require a lot more hangtime, so you have to be mindful where you use them

The hardest thing to get over is the stress, I find once I know a combo is over 500k I often make stupid mistakes!

Spamming a bunch of fliptricks into/out of millisecond long manuals towards the end when you're about out of balance also helps to fluff the multiplier.

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Spamming a bunch of fliptricks into/out of millisecond long manuals towards the end when you're about out of balance also helps to fluff the multiplier.

This too, so important to make sure the balance bar isn't at an extreme though! Or accidentally tapping up up (etc) and accidentally pulling off a move you have no chance of landing on the flat 

I'm really enjoying Tony Hawk. If actually never played the originals, but i did play a couple of the Skate games.

My highest score:

94,222 (no mods)

Highest combo:

27,000 (no mods)

I know that's not that great, but its a lot better than I was getting. Still improving and its fun learning all the different tricks.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

I'm really enjoying Tony Hawk. If actually never played the originals, but i did play a couple of the Skate games.

My highest score:

94,222 (no mods)

Highest combo:

27,000 (no mods)

I know that's not that great, but its a lot better than I was getting. Still improving and its fun learning all the different tricks.

Glad you're enjoying it despite never playing the originals - it's proper old school gameplay so wouldn't be sure how newcomers would take to it

To get to grips with it I'd actually recommend leaving mods off and just going for it. A few little tips you might not yet have picked up:

- you can land grinds at any angle, so don't worry about straightening up if you know you'll land near a rail/ledge, just press grind before you hit it

- on Skate you actually have to land on a rail/ledge to grind, on Tony Hawk it'll snap to a grind if you're landing near a grindable surface

- if you're flying off a quarter pipe and won't land back in a pipe or a grind, tap L2/R2 (LT/RT) and you'll straighten up before you hit the ground at a funny angle

- try not to stay in a single manual/grind for too long, as the points won't rack up but you'll still have to maintain the balance meter. Chuck in lots of fliptricks and try different grinds to increase the score and multiplier. Making gaps as part of a combo will also add to your multiplier

- using the same trick over and over will diminish the score that the trick gives you, so mix it up a bit!

- if you're heading into a wall, ollie before you hit the wall then hit ollie again to wallplant - this will put you back in the right direction, and if you time it right you'll gain a fair bit of air, enough to pull off certain specials

- make sure you use all the stat points you find, and tinker with them to see how they suit you. Early on when the stat points are scarce, don't bother upgrading Lip Balance as you'll never really use these tricks, and personally as a newcomer I'd leave off upgrading your Speed as this can make the game quite stressful if you're not used to it (unless you're in later levels where you might actually need to upgrade speed to reach certain goals/areas)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I can do a Mini on any course, apart from Sweden well on DiRT Rally, but use something more powerful with a pad and not a wheel and it's almost impossible.

2.0 is a little more forgiving at the lower levels, but not where I am now.

I've gotten pretty deft with the Lancia DF Integrale, though. Durable enough to throw around some and very quick too.