Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manwell Pablo

Hodgson Out?

Whether Hodgson in or out, on a personal level I can say I've never been so disillusioned with the England team. However awful we were at S.Africa, at least we made it out of the group, thus having a final 16 game to look forward to.

To crash out in a tournament as excellent as this one is a real bloody shame, and though I 'expected' it, I obviously 'hoped' we would do well.

What with the football team and the Cricket team, English team sport aint brilliant at the moment. Are the England Ladies any good?

:thumbup:

Surely failing to qualify is the worst?

Surely failing to qualify is the worst?

No I dont agree. It's the worst in terms of general performance, but to qualify, soak up the all the build-up, look forward to watching the games, knowing what it can be like if we do well etc.. this time round is the one I've felt the most let down with. When we don't qualify, its crap at the time, but you adjust yourself just to enjoying watching the other teams (like Eire at the USA).

Whether Hodgson in or out, on a personal level I can say I've never been so disillusioned with the England team. However awful we were at S.Africa, at least we made it out of the group, thus having a final 16 game to look forward to.

To crash out in a tournament as excellent as this one is a real bloody shame, and though I 'expected' it, I obviously 'hoped' we would do well.

What with the football team and the Cricket team, English team sport aint brilliant at the moment. Are the England Ladies any good?

:thumbup:

I felt really angry and embarrassed about 2010. It's been said many times, but they way we went through was shit. Finishing 2nd in a group with USA, Algeria and Slovenia. Let's be honest, if we did sneak through Colombia would've spanked us anyway. Not to sound like a discerning mum but I'm not angry, just very disappointed.

The difference for me was I felt that after the Uruguay game. I've heard quite a few commentators on the radio this morning use terms like 'in disarray'. I tend to agree, although we've been very poor as a national side for many years.

To be honest I don't think we were any worse than in 2010. 2010 was largely masked by us getting the easiest group you could ever have in a World Cup.

Disarray? Hard to say. I just don't think we as a nation are that good at the game, as much as we want to be, there's little more to it than that.

To be honest I don't think we were any worse than in 2010. 2010 was largely masked by us getting the easiest group you could ever have in a World Cup.

Disarray? Hard to say. I just don't think we as a nation are that good at the game, as much as we want to be, there's little more to it than that.

We are certainly over hyped and cause of this come the tournament the players come under pressure. As I said before the world cup in south africa was the worst case of it, too many fans believed we could have actually won the world cup. Trouble with english players are when the tough gets going they throw in the towel straight way.

This world cup the problem was we found we had too many players that actually weren't international quality.

Guest MattP

We finally had a tough group at a world cup. That's what happened.

We were even worse in 2010 but only had to get past USA Slovenia and Algeria.

I still don't see how he can stay after delivering the worst World Cup in our history.

Bottom of the group, 0 wins, 26th place overall.

His position should be untenable.

1994 was far worse ...

Surely the world cups we havent qualified for have been the worst, by definition of not being there.

Not getting out of the USA 94 qualifying group was hideous considering our opponents too.

I still don't see how he can stay after delivering the worst World Cup in our history.

Bottom of the group, 0 wins, 26th place overall.

His position should be untenable.

It's not hard really, he didn't deliver it the players did, pretty much because, as you were told from the start, they weren't good enough.

Costa Rica was obviously a right off, but Roy Hodgson isn't holding a PS3 control pad, he can't make his players close Claudio Marchiso down quicker, he can't make Baines get tighter to Candreva and he can't stop Gary Cahill making basic errors for key goals. His tactics weren't actually far wrong. The only in game statistics that went against us bar the obvious goals for and against was Italy predictably having more possession, and even that was suprsingly marginal especially compared to our last game competitive game against them. Aside from that everything went our way tactically, but quality told. We had more shots on target than Italy but nothing troubled Sirigu much, we had more shots off target than Italy and in plenty of those situations we should of hit the target, we wasted countless corners and they made one of about three count. Systematically we were there, unfortunately defensive errors and the inability to finish cost us dearly as it would any international side in a World Cup. As you were told pre tournament they have better more patient players than us and so it has been proved, again.

Uruguay was even worse the performance wasn't actually too bad, we had much more of the ball and they had two shots on target the entire game, the difference being (and again, something you were told before the tournament but refused to take into account) they have two world class strikers one of which put both of his shots on goal past Joe Hart.

You continue to look at things black and white though, and possibly throw some irrelevant statistics about Uruguay needing to qualify for the tournament and not winning a world cup for x amount of years or the fact that we beat Italy reserves in some pointless friendly shortly after Euro 2012. People like you are part of the problem when it comes to English football. Ridiculous expectations.

Indeed, but it's the players that have declined.

The manager has to take the majority of the blame Manwell, sorry he does.

He isn't tactically aware to be England manager, he can't change his limited game plan and the way he set up in the first two games. He got the system completely wrong and our better players were restricted.

The manager has to take the majority of the blame Manwell, sorry he does.

He isn't tactically aware to be England manager, he can't change his limited game plan and the way he set up in the first two games. He got the system completely wrong and our better players were restricted.

Agreed.

The formation we needed was 4-1-2-1-2 (4-4-2 diamond)

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard

Henderson Wilshere

Lallana

Rooney Sturridge

Why was Wilshere on the bench?

Why was Lallana on the bench behind Welbeck?

It's not hard really, he didn't deliver it the players did, pretty much because, as you were told from the start, they weren't good enough.

Costa Rica was obviously a right off, but Roy Hodgson isn't holding a PS3 control pad, he can't make his players close Claudio Marchiso down quicker, he can't make Baines get tighter to Candreva and he can't stop Gary Cahill making basic errors for key goals. His tactics weren't actually far wrong. The only in game statistics that went against us bar the obvious goals for and against was Italy predictably having more possession, and even that was suprsingly marginal especially compared to our last game competitive game against them. Aside from that everything went our way tactically, but quality told. We had more shots on target than Italy but nothing troubled Sirigu much, we had more shots off target than Italy and in plenty of those situations we should of hit the target, we wasted countless corners and they made one of about three count. Systematically we were there, unfortunately defensive errors and the inability to finish cost us dearly as it would any international side in a World Cup. As you were told pre tournament they have better more patient players than us and so it has been proved, again.

Uruguay was even worse the performance wasn't actually too bad, we had much more of the ball and they had two shots on target the entire game, the difference being (and again, something you were told before the tournament but refused to take into account) they have two world class strikers one of which put both of his shots on goal past Joe Hart.

You continue to look at things black and white though, and possibly throw some irrelevant statistics about Uruguay needing to qualify for the tournament and not winning a world cup for x amount of years or the fact that we beat Italy reserves in some pointless friendly shortly after Euro 2012. People like you are part of the problem when it comes to English football. Ridiculous expectations.

No disrespect, but I think its people like you who are part of the problem.. not enough expectation.

Look at the sides who made it through further than we did.. the USA, Costa Rica.. just two examples of teams who are basically comprised of many players who wouldn't get anywhere the Premier League. Some of the Costa Ricans play in their own league, for example. Why both teams shone was not because they are full of stars but because they were full of energy, togetherness and VERY well organised.

I simply don't get this 'tough group' argument either. I thought it would be before the tournament started, then it quickly became apparent that both Italy and Uruguay were currently two very average sides at International level. Especially Italy, who I can't recollect ever being so poor. Pirlo made over 120 succesful passes during that game. And ran it. In the next two, when he was effectively man marked, he looked completely different. Stamping (metaphorically) on Pirlo.. hardly rocket science is it?

Hodgson has not resigned, not really apologised, not really attempted to explain.. all he came out with was the garbage after the Costa Rica side... big deal!

It's almost as though nothing has happened. Well something did hapoen.. we went out of a group that demonstrated itself to be far less dangerous than we previously thought, for the first time in over 50 years.

If it's continued to be dismissed, if excuses pour out that our players arent as good as other teams players etc etc, we will continue to go nowhere.

I reiterate, Hodgson made some right blunders during the World Cup. He was part of the bigger problem we have had with our National side for donkey's ages. And its a shame that people, like yourself, seem to give up so easily. The nation's team sports seem to be at a very low ebb currently. This needs looking at because I'm still proud of my country and our sporting achievements.

I suggest that you sit down with Harry Bassett England Manager, reflect on the error of your negative thinking and ponder on the line 'we gave football to the World'.. now I'm gonna go and take it back'.

:P

No disrespect, but I think its people like you who are part of the problem.. not enough expectation.

Look at the sides who made it through further than we did.. the USA, Costa Rica.. just two examples of teams who are basically comprised of many players who wouldn't get anywhere the Premier League. Some of the Costa Ricans play in their own league, for example. Why both teams shone was not because they are full of stars but because they were full of energy, togetherness and VERY well organised.

I simply don't get this 'tough group' argument either. I thought it would be before the tournament started, then it quickly became apparent that both Italy and Uruguay were currently two very average sides at International level. Especially Italy, who I can't recollect ever being so poor. Pirlo made over 120 succesful passes during that game. And ran it. In the next two, when he was effectively man marked, he looked completely different. Stamping (metaphorically) on Pirlo.. hardly rocket science is it?

Hodgson has not resigned, not really apologised, not really attempted to explain.. all he came out with was the garbage after the Costa Rica side... big deal!

It's almost as though nothing has happened. Well something did hapoen.. we went out of a group that demonstrated itself to be far less dangerous than we previously thought, for the first time in over 50 years.

If it's continued to be dismissed, if excuses pour out that our players arent as good as other teams players etc etc, we will continue to go nowhere.

I reiterate, Hodgson made some right blunders during the World Cup. He was part of the bigger problem we have had with our National side for donkey's ages. And its a shame that people, like yourself, seem to give up so easily. The nation's team sports seem to be at a very low ebb currently. This needs looking at because I'm still proud of my country and our sporting achievements.

I suggest that you sit down with Harry Bassett England Manager, reflect on the error of your negative thinking and ponder on the line 'we gave football to the World'.. now I'm gonna go and take it back'.

No disrespect, but it's people like you who are part of the problem... too much expectation and a disregard for the individual quality in other, foreign national teams.

Your arrogance towards other countries and what you describe a lack of class ("wouldn't get anywhere near the Premier League") is what's so typical for the insular approach by many English football fans - and maybe even symptomatic for the shortcomings of the FA and the English national football team. You're actually believing your own hype that the only quality in football is located in England, when in fact, you have been robbed of it for many, many years thanks to the extreme influx of foreign talent and the disappearance and lack of development of English talent in the top tier.

The English players aren't good enough on an international stage and have done so for years, if not decades. Just look at the WC finishes for the past 48 years, for instance.

It's always easier to come out after the group stage and play the know-it-all (are you looking at yourself, Colin?) and declare this the easiest group ever, one that England should've qualified from without any hassle. Where were you before the World Cup - did you know it back then, as well?

And what "sporting achievements" are there to be still proud of apart from one World Cup win almost 50 years ago? Sometimes, I get the impression the English are so stuck in their past and deluded to a certain extent that they've completely missed out on what's happened around them in half a century.

No disrespect, but it's people like you who are part of the problem... too much expectation and a disregard for the individual quality in other, foreign national teams.

You arrogance towards other countries and what you describe a lack of class ("wouldn't get anywhere near the Premier League") is what's so typical for the insular approach by many English football fans - and maybe even symptomatic for the shortcomings of the FA and the English national football team. You're actually believing your own hype that the only quality in football is located in England, when in fact, you have been robbed of it for many, many years thanks to the extreme influx of foreign talent and the disappearance and development of English talent in the top tier.

The English players aren't good enough on an international stage and have done so for years, if not decades. Just look at the WC finishes for the past 48 years, for instance.

It's always easier to come out after the group stage and play the know-it-all (are you looking at yourself, Colin?) and declare this the easiest group ever, one that England should've qualified from without any hassle. Where were you before the World Cup - did you know it back then, as well?

And what "sporting achievements" are there to be still proud of apart from one World Cup win almost 50 years ago? Sometimes, I get the impression the English are so stuck in their past and deluded to a certain extent that they've completely missed out on what's happened around them in half a century.

In general society, as in football.

Your arrogance towards other countries and what you describe a lack of class ("wouldn't get anywhere near the Premier League") is what's so typical for the insular approach by many English football fans - and maybe even symptomatic for the shortcomings of the FA and the English national football team. You're actually believing your own hype that the only quality in football is located in England, when in fact, you have been robbed of it for many, many years thanks to the extreme influx of foreign talent and the disappearance and lack of development of English talent in the top tier.

That post is so full of assumptions and off-the-cuff remarks I'm not gonna bother. Eg. Who said anything about it being the easiest group ever?

Stick with stuff about praying to Arry. One of the most bizarre posts I think I've ever read.

:ph34r:

How can a fan not expecting anything effect how the team performs on the pitch?

Sorry Soccerroo but if you really believe this, there is no point discussing the subject any further. Are you watching the Brazil v Germany game later? The expectation of the Brazilian fans could well be their 'twelth man'... they will not stop urging them on, they want them to win, they expect them to win. Luiz's free-kick winner in the last game displayed the 'passion' (under-stated word that) that he has for his country and those following them.

I'm not saying that Brazil aren't a better team than England, in terms of ability (of course they are..apart from Fred and Jo..) but that level of belief, passion and yes, expectation, is something else that seems to be missing from the English game. We somehow need to get it back. We've crashed-out of the World Cup with a little whimper, yet few seem really bothered. The atitude appears to be 'oh well, we aint very good anyway'. Same with the cricket.. and the list goes on.

There was a call for us to go attacking and have a go at teams.

Issue was we weren't good enough to do that, so we have realise that we are behind many many nations at the moment . Maybe we needed to be set up in an organised way and hit teams on the break.

Instead we went somewhere in the middle and achieved nothing.

On the basis of eveyone knowing we just weren't good enough, then I would say his tactics were wrong. We still seemed to have the mentality of we're England we'll go out there and outplay teams, the facts are even some of the smaller nations have ball control technique far ahead of our own. With that in mind we need to go into it with the tactics employed by some of the weaker teams who know their limitations. Build from the back and keep it solid, then break on the counter attack at pace.

Agreed.

The formation we needed was 4-1-2-1-2 (4-4-2 diamond)

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard

Henderson Wilshere

Lallana

Rooney Sturridge

Why was Wilshere on the bench?

Why was Lallana on the bench behind Welbeck?

You've not started Raheem Sterling so your opinion is null and void.

ROFL if you think a lack of expectation is a problem in England, ridiculous.

Our players aren't as good as other teams, just because you play for Liverpool and can pass to Luis Suarez doesn't mean you'll cut the mustard at international level.

Well we showed a complete lack of respect for Pirlo but Hodgson wasn't the only one, all I heard pre tournament was how he was nothing to worry about and apparently wouldn't get in our side so it's no wonder he didn't bother trying to neutralize him, not that we have a defensive minded midfield player who is capable of doing that anyway.

@ you and Babylon, I am by no means standing up for Hodgson he did make some rather silly choices both pre tournament and during, but the fact remains the players on the pitch had and created enough opportunities to win both games and did not take them. I am indifferent as to who the England manager will be, they'll be unpopular over analyzed and will fail to get us far in major tournaments for the next 8 years before hopefully some of the changes made to grass roots football four years ago start to take effect and successful English youth teams hopefully develop into quality adult professionals.

Archived