Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Leicester City 2-2 Everton post match thread

Dear mr llama, the golden rule of striking a moving ball in wood's situation is to put it back where it came from across the keeper who will be coming in your direction with his weight. Had he put it further to the right he ran the risk that the covering defender would get a block in. By lifting it slightly he took it over Howard's trailing foot. There was nothing wrong with either the keeper or the finish.

your frustration should not be with Howard but with your managers poor timing and choices with his subs. You should have wrapped it up way before.

I don't have any frustration with the keeper, I agree using only two subs and so late on in the game when the players looked exhausted from the 60th minute onwards was odd. especially considering how uncharacteristic of him it was as he usually puts his subs in early. I have never seen Everton under him sit back even against the likes of Arsneal, Chelsea or City that either sais a lot of leicester or our fitness, I'm going to guess it's the latter but I could be wrong

I agree he slotted it in the right direction, I just think he gave the keeper a chance when he shouldn't of. I think the finish could of been a lot better we can't change each others opinions of it but he put it in the back of the net and that is all that counts

I don't have any frustration with the keeper, I agree using only two subs and so late on in the game when the players looked exhausted from the 60th minute onwards was odd. especially considering how uncharacteristic of him it was as he usually puts his subs in early. I have never seen Everton under him sit back even against the likes of Arsneal, Chelsea or City that either sais a lot of leicester or our fitness, I'm going to guess it's the latter but I could be wrong

I agree he slotted it in the right direction, I just think he gave the keeper a chance when he shouldn't of. I think the finish could of been a lot better we can't change each others opinions of it but he put it in the back of the net and that is all that counts

If you think that he gave the keeper a chance then surely it goes down as a goalkeeping error?

Fact is, he didn't give Howard a chance. He saw his diving in anticipation and just tapped it out of his reach and into the unguarded right hand side of the goal. A lovely finish when both you and I have seen millions of those chances go high and wide.

Incredible that you'd even pick up on that.

If Howard didn't run across he'd just tap it near post? And it was hardly he middle of the net.

It hit the back of the net near the right corner but crossed the line in the middle, was an okay finish just could of been better he hit the back of the net at the end of the day and that is all that counts though

you can't really get a bad finish that ends in a goal, can you? surely the fact it's ended up in the back of the net makes it a good finish. or am i missing something? is the premier league like flick football and you get bonus points if you hit right in the corner of the net? 

Thought King was absolutely excellent yesterday and without him I felt we would have lost. With James and Drinkwater out, King could no longer be a passenger and he duly stepped up to the plate. Put his foot in a lot more, really got stuck in and worked hard. 

Can't blame De Laet too much for his horror show, Knockaert and Mahrez's cover was very sparse and De Laet was often left exposed. I believe Nige brought in Albrighton because of his hard work rate going backwards and this will be invaluable against the better sides of this league where it won't be possible to have the luxury of playing Knockaert and Mahrez at once. 

Was disappointed to see Konchesky start at left back, especially as Schlupp finished last season as first choice left back with some excellent displays. Pearson needs to make his mind up as to where he thinks Schlupp's best position is because there's no way Konchesky can play there all season. Konch didn't do too bad mind yesterday.

I loved Wood's aggression yesterday and his little cameo shows that he really looks like fighting for his place. I PRAY that this may have changed Pearson's mind on spending a ridiculous sum on Deeney.

We lacked so much pace! No Vardy and no Dyer and our game completely changed. This really worried me. Pace at any level will devastate teams, just look at when Schlupp burned Stones yesterday. Distin and Jagielka slow too. Dyer and Vardy would have had field days yesterday. If anything, we need a replacement striker with pace for when Vardy's out. Not sure I can bear a Ulloa Nugent partnership too much. 

On the whole, great team spirit, passion and fight from the lads and with our 3 best players out we gained a valuable point! Onwards and upwards we go. 

If you think that he gave the keeper a chance then surely it goes down as a goalkeeping error?

Fact is, he didn't give Howard a chance. He saw his diving in anticipation and just tapped it out of his reach and into the unguarded right hand side of the goal. A lovely finish when both you and I have seen millions of those chances go high and wide.

Incredible that you'd even pick up on that.

it was part of my original post where I said "annoyed at how many people are congratulating Wood for the goal and not even mentioning Mahrez's cut in and annihilation of barry to create the chance, a non-league footballer should be scoring that chance and he didn't even slot it well if Howard decided to go far post instead of near he would of saved it." so it's kind of taken out context a little bit, I didn't just mention it out of the blue

Everyone is talking about how Everton was exhausted in the end.  I think that is part of Leicester's strategy.  I recall the announcer saying he doubted how long Leicester would keep up the pace they started with after the break.  It seems they did long enough to outlast Everton and get the tying goal.  They consistently tried to up the pace to take Everton out of their posession game.

I think all those stories about sports science we saw at the end of last year are a bigger part of the strategy than we realize.  I think the ability to play with pace late into the game (or to bring on pace like Schlupp off the bench) will serve us well this year.   To me, its just another aspect of the game - one of those little things - that might help us do better than expected.

As I look back at the goals, I still think De Laet could have tackled Piennar. It wasn't the greatest first touch from him, I think De Laet could have made a challenge.

Watched the highlights again this morning and someone says to Ritchie 'STAND' obviously to mean stand Pienaar up. Instead, Pienaar is too tricky for him and Ritchie got too close. Then it was just unfortunate Knocky slipped and then even more unfortunate that when Pienaar made it in to the box his slip inadvertently went to Naismith and that was that.

you can't really get a bad finish that ends in a goal, can you? surely the fact it's ended up in the back of the net makes it a good finish. or am i missing something? is the premier league like flick football and you get bonus points if you hit right in the corner of the net? 

Shots that are low into the corner are of a higher quality because they're more accurate and harder to execute. I think it's a mistake to say that goals are always the result of better shots - there are other factors that might mean a better strike gets saved.

I think Wood's was actually a pretty average finish. If he'd done that normally Howard would've gathered it easily and people would be shouting at him for such a poorly placed effort. It was the only the fact that Howard was on the move that meant it went in.

If Alan Shearer says Wood's effort was a good finish, I'm inclined to believe it was a good finish. He might be a bit simple at times but if there's one thing he knows about it's getting the ball in the net.

It wasn't the hardest in my opinion. We'd be lambasting him if he hadn't put that away.

But I do agree he's the best finisher at the club. Give him a chance and he'll take it. We just don't tend to create a great deal when he plays in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ofmvoQc6U

Your keeper did go far post for the Mcgeady goal, my point was that Wood got all the credit for the work Mahrez did, watch the finish at 00:40 the finish wasn't great if howard stood still he would of saved it, they should be going in the right hand corner it was almost in the middle of the net (slight exaggeration)

It went in the goal. I call that a good finish.

Bloody norah !!!

How much do you want overkill. This over phsyco- ananlysing a goal has gone over the top.

Football, good, bad, top players have nano seconds to make a descision, yes certain moves should ,could, of been applied better, but thats the joy of the game , Gerrard is the greatest example, last season when he slipped.

4 goals in the Premier league at the KP after 10 years. MCg®eady's the best of the four. Ulloa strikers opportunists goal, exactly what city will need many of.Wood's goal, great mahrez play, but curled well around howard.Naismith good Everton move. Lets not on one game start out with this player is not good enough cos he should of done this or that, to prevent, a goal.

I thought for a team, with some injuries for their 1st game, played some damn good football, and when Everton in the 1st half were on top, or had the better of the game, we were never overran.King proved he can play at this level, contradicting his many

critics on the site.Drinkwater, until his injury shown, how he can break up play and, then deliver.Hammond not out of his depth, and took over Drinkwaters position well. As for Moore and Morgan top displays.Unlike some I reckon Konschelsky and De laet, had good games. Look we aint Man city, or Liverpool, not this last game but end of the next 5-6 games we shall see how our

squad will shape up, the first game shown we wont be push overs,lets admit it, that was the 1st fear off us all.

To boot we played some good football. Chelsea, Arsenal lets see how we fair, but again lets be honest, its not these 2 games but the 3-4 afterwards where we have to show how metal.

Thought King was absolutely excellent yesterday and without him I felt we would have lost. With James and Drinkwater out, King could no longer be a passenger and he duly stepped up to the plate. Put his foot in a lot more, really got stuck in and worked hard. 

Can't blame De Laet too much for his horror show, Knockaert and Mahrez's cover was very sparse and De Laet was often left exposed. I believe Nige brought in Albrighton because of his hard work rate going backwards and this will be invaluable against the better sides of this league where it won't be possible to have the luxury of playing Knockaert and Mahrez at once. 

Was disappointed to see Konchesky start at left back, especially as Schlupp finished last season as first choice left back with some excellent displays. Pearson needs to make his mind up as to where he thinks Schlupp's best position is because there's no way Konchesky can play there all season. Konch didn't do too bad mind yesterday.

I loved Wood's aggression yesterday and his little cameo shows that he really looks like fighting for his place. I PRAY that this may have changed Pearson's mind on spending a ridiculous sum on Deeney.

We lacked so much pace! No Vardy and no Dyer and our game completely changed. This really worried me. Pace at any level will devastate teams, just look at when Schlupp burned Stones yesterday. Distin and Jagielka slow too. Dyer and Vardy would have had field days yesterday. If anything, we need a replacement striker with pace for when Vardy's out. Not sure I can bear a Ulloa Nugent partnership too much. 

On the whole, great team spirit, passion and fight from the lads and with our 3 best players out we gained a valuable point! Onwards and upwards we go. 

Nearly all of Everton's efforts came down the left, De Laet had a hell of a time with Pienaar and Baines linking up extremely well so agreed  unfair to criticise De Laet too much

Archived