Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cjslcfc

Chelsea Pre-Match Thread

I can see the idea behind going with lots of pace but we'll be defending on the edge of the box for the majority of the game and any clearance will just come straight back at us if there's no one to hold it up.

Hopefully we can Schlupp in behind Ivanovic and break well enough.

I can see the idea behind going with lots of pace but we'll be defending on the edge of the box for the majority of the game and any clearance will just come straight back at us if there's no one to hold it up.

Hopefully we can Schlupp in behind Ivanovic and break well enough.

I like the use of "Schlupp" as a verb.

I can't decide if it means to break with pace, or to blaze wildly over.

Maybe to Schlupp in, means to skin the defender with blistering pace.

and to Schlupp up, means to blast it high wide and not very handsome.

eg: He has Schlupped in there and picked up the through ball from Mahrez...

...and he has properly Schlupped that up.

I like the use of "Schlupp" as a verb.

I can't decide if it means to break with pace, or to blaze wildly over.

Maybe to Schlupp in, means to skin the defender with blistering pace.

and to Schlupp up, means to blast it high wide and not very handsome.

eg: He has Schlupped in there and picked up the through ball from Mahrez...

...and he has properly Schlupped that up.

I'll pretend it was deliberate

Want to go with a 5 but we don't have the people to do it because of injuries. Just go 4-4-2 with the obvious players, Albrighton for Knocky and Nugent playing pretty deep.

I agree with this.

I just hope we don't get hammered, there will be some big defeats this season as it's inevitable in this league but if we can keep up our growing reputation it will really spur us on.

One thing we can't do is just lump aimless balls forward. Courtois was very commanding in the air yesterday (not a surprise at his height). In addition, De Laet did it a few times on Saturday, and all we do is give the ball away. The build up to second goal - De Laet knocked it forward and all Barry did was control it - we gave the ball away easily. I'd prefer us to retain possession, yes, even at Stamford Bridge.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a total change in formation. He has 5 at the back as an option to him which would perhaps favour Schlupp over Konch. However it's the other 5 positions which perhaps would not go so well in terms of reliability. If Vardy is fit he has to play at some stage to get him back into the swing of things, I'd say this isn't the game for Knocky, but Mahrez and Albrighton on the wings with Vardy and Ulloa I'd be happy with!

i seriously can't get my head around people saying they would happily take a 2-0 loss now.

this is the second game of the season, let's not worry about GD just yet or thinking it could drop their confidence if we get thrashed. forget all that.

i would prefer us to go there playing 4-4-1-1 and not be intimidated, try and get at them when we can down the wings and play to our strengths rather than going there and expecting to lose.

yes we are massive under dogs and more than likely lose but who says we can't nick a point, stranger things have happened. and i'd prefer us to attempt to get the point rather than worrying about how many we may concede.

What is the fascination with 5 at the back? Why anybody thinks that will work is beyond me. Same team as the weekend - yeah we'll probably lose but... got the line up to utilise the positive players in our squad. We won't stop them scoring by sticking 8 in defence. We will stop them scoring by having our best players in their best positions so we can try and keep the ball. 

What is the fascination with 5 at the back? Why anybody thinks that will work is beyond me. Same team as the weekend - yeah we'll probably lose but... got the line up to utilise the positive players in our squad. We won't stop them scoring by sticking 8 in defence. We will stop them scoring by having our best players in their best positions so we can try and keep the ball. 

Agree 5 at the back would be suicide against Chelsea, even if we did park the bus and scrape a 0-0, we wouldn't learn anything and wouldn't improve we just go into our shells next time we came up against a big boy, don't get me wrong I would celebrate the point.

If we want to stop Chelsea scoring the first thing to do is keep the ball for as long as we can and keep it in advanced positions. Make them work hard to get it back, and don't give them time to get any rhythm going when they do have it.

I predict 2-1 or 3-1 to Chelsea....like others say Chelsea tend to ease off when the game is won unlike Man City or Liverpool who like running up 5s and 6s.

I was worried when we were 3-1 down at half-time but only a great save by Courtois prevented Arfield from pulling it back to 2-3. Overall, I am glad we did not take a real battering and I don't think we will play a better team than Chelsea again this season.

In their 18-man matchday squad last night, they had THREE World Cup winners (Schurrle, Fabregas, Torres), TWO England central defenders (Cahill, Terry), TWO Belgian World Cup stars (Courtois, Hazard), European Champions League matchwinner (Drogba) and last but not least La Liga champion striker and top scorer and Champions League finalist (Diego Costa). The other nine I have not mentioned are not bad players, either.

I think any team that avoids defeat against Chelsea this season will have to play very well or be very lucky.

Anything less a than 3 or 4 goal defeat is respectable given the gulf between the two squads.

Can't realistically see us threatening much as we won't be able to get enough possession or supporting bodies forward for fear of them counter attacking.

To even snatch a draw they would need to have a serious off day and we'd need a lot of luck.

No disgrace losing there if anyone has seen their home record under Mourinho.

I predict 2-1 or 3-1 to Chelsea....like others say Chelsea tend to ease off when the game is won unlike Man City or Liverpool who like running up 5s and 6s.

I was worried when we were 3-1 down at half-time but only a great save by Courtois prevented Arfield from pulling it back to 2-3. Overall, I am glad we did not take a real battering and I don't think we will play a better team than Chelsea again this season.

In their 18-man matchday squad last night, they had THREE World Cup winners (Schurrle, Fabregas, Torres), TWO England central defenders (Cahill, Terry), TWO Belgian World Cup stars (Courtois, Hazard), European Champions League matchwinner (Drogba) and last but not least La Liga champion striker and top scorer and Champions League finalist (Diego Costa). The eight I have not mentioned are not bad players, either.

I think any team that avoids defeat against Chelsea this season will have to play very well or be very lucky.

What's the mood like after the match, are you able to take any positives from it? Or are you just writing it off as an irrelevancy?

Also how do you feel about Dyche constantly going on about the fact everyone has more money than you and you are underdogs and just a little club playing against the big boys? Do you think that is the right attitude to have?

No positives really except we did not get thrashed and it is one of the tougher games out of the way. Most teams will lose at home to Chelsea, I think.

If Dyche is allowed to bring in a couple of decent players before the deadline in 10 days, I still think we have an outside chance of staying up but I don't think the board (owners) want to spend any more money. They'll be delighted to stay up but won't be too bothered if we go down with £60 million parachute money to come.

Dyche will want more and deserves more - I would not blame him one bit if he jumped at the chance if a job at say Villa, West Ham or maybe West Brom became available....even a top Championship side like Norwich?

Last time we went up, the board did not give Coyle their full backing and that is the major reason he left when we were were 14th in the table after 20 games.

The team we have NOW is far, far superior to the one we had 5 years ago and we did not get relegated by that much despite having the useless to*ser Brian Laws in charge for the last 18 games.

We will just have to hope we finish with more points than 3 other teams.....and I am thinking maybe Palace, maybe West Brom, maybe QPR.....I'm now clutching at straws.:)

We will just have to hope we finish with more points than 3 other teams.....and I am thinking maybe Palace, maybe West Brom, maybe QPR.....I'm now clutching at straws. :)

Plenty of time for teams to sack managers and start imploding.

Well what a game that was !

here´s a brief for those that missed it 

CFC 2-3 LCFC 

Costalot 13 min

Nugent 35 min

we go mad

1-1 half time 

Squirrel 55 min

Mahrez 69 min

we go really mad

Vardy on as sub  75 min

Vardy scores winner in 89th minute

we go really really mad

6 minutes added time

chelshe lay seige

final whistle

we go really really really mad

really ! we go mad !

I think you're already mad mate.

No positives really except we did not get thrashed and it is one of the tougher games out of the way. Most teams will lose at home to Chelsea, I think.

If Dyche is allowed to bring in a couple of decent players before the deadline in 10 days, I still think we have an outside chance of staying up but I don't think the board (owners) want to spend any more money. They'll be delighted to stay up but won't be too bothered if we go down with £60 million parachute money to come.

Dyche will want more and deserves more - I would not blame him one bit if he jumped at the chance if a job at say Villa, West Ham or maybe West Brom became available....even a top Championship side like Norwich?

Last time we went up, the board did not give Coyle their full backing and that is the major reason he left when we were were 14th in the table after 20 games.

The team we have NOW is far, far superior to the one we had 5 years ago and we did not get relegated by that much despite having the useless to*ser Brian Laws in charge for the last 18 games.

We will just have to hope we finish with more points than 3 other teams.....and I am thinking maybe Palace, maybe West Brom, maybe QPR.....I'm now clutching at straws. :)

Fair comment, I'm amazed you haven't invested more, I was assuming you were finding it difficult like we were to attract the right players.

I had forgotten how good your start was when you got promoted last time, a lot of newly promoted clubs that keep their team together tend to start well, then fade away as they get worked out, similar to Blackpool the season after, team spirit and togetherness getting you so far.

So Dyche's constant harping on about money and market leaders, is that actually an attempt to get the board to cough up more money for transfers? Do you really think he would leave mid-season?

Oh and it is OK to say on here you are looking to finish above Leicester, we have certainly earmarked Burnley as one of the teams we are targeting to finish above, along with QPR and hopefully now Palace. West Brom, Villa, Hull and Swansea were all on the list as well, but they all went and bloody won at the weekend, oh well.

Let's not give away soft goals on Saturday. In the cup match a couple of years ago we gave away really poor goals, if they outclass us and pass it around us, we can't get near to them then fair enough, there isn't a lot we can do. Just don't give away free headers, leave people spare in the area from set-pieces, make them work for their goals.

Let's not give away soft goals on Saturday. In the cup match a couple of years ago we gave away really poor goals, if they outclass us and pass it around us, we can't get near to them then fair enough, there isn't a lot we can do. Just don't give away free headers, leave people spare in the area from set-pieces, make them work for their goals.

Did we have Bamba at the back that game?

Yes we did... what a horrid team we had ha ha.

• 01 Schmeichel
  • 03 Konchesky
  • 06 Bamba
  • 12 St Ledger (Schlupp - 63' )
  • 26 Morgan
  • 11 Dyer
  • 19 Wellens (Marshall - 83' )
  • 23 Danns
  • 07 Gallagher (Peltier - 43' )
  • 20 Beckford
  • 35 Nugent

Yes we did... what a horrid team we had ha ha.

• 01 Schmeichel
  • 03 Konchesky
  • 06 Bamba
  • 12 St Ledger (Schlupp - 63' )
  • 26 Morgan
  • 11 Dyer
  • 19 Wellens (Marshall - 83' )
  • 23 Danns
  • 07 Gallagher (Peltier - 43' )
  • 20 Beckford
  • 35 Nugent

Eww did our team really used to look like that? Yuck.

I'd put a lot more faith in our existing line-up, even with all the forced changes. Gally, SSL, Bamba, Danns weren't doing us any favours - don't remember Dyer playing too great at the time either. And Schlupp has come on leaps and bounds since then

I'd be happy if Konch can pull off one of his ultra-rare 30 yard wonders though to replicate Marshall's goal that day.

I'd put a lot more faith in our existing line-up, even with all the forced changes. Gally, SSL, Bamba, Danns weren't doing us any favours - don't remember Dyer playing too great at the time either. And Schlupp has come on leaps and bounds since then

I'd be happy if Konch can pull off one of his ultra-rare 30 yard wonders though to replicate Marshall's goal that day.

I'd be happy if he scores a goal similar to the one against hull that season

Archived