Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

Drivers who slow down in front of you just to say hello to someone they know on the pavement, without acknowledging that you're behind their vehicle waiting for them to carry on driving at a quicker speed.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Drivers who slow down in front of you just to say hello to someone they know on the pavement, without acknowledging that you're behind their vehicle waiting for them to carry on driving at a quicker speed.

Yes thats Bloody annoying,especially in cities,Towns  or large villages...If they Indicate and Pull over appropiately,and its a  quiet road,I dont mind,but not with

high Traffic flow...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

Why do people drive over a roundabout? Is it pure laziness?

Depends what kind of roundabout you mean. There are a few near me that are just paint on the road, and it's completely pointless and unnecessary to drive round them if you're going straight on. 

4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Depends what kind of roundabout you mean. There are a few near me that are just paint on the road, and it's completely pointless and unnecessary to drive round them if you're going straight on. 

mini roundabouts, I see what you are saying but still it’s not impossible to drive around them you have to maybe slow down but that’s the point of roundabouts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Down here in rural Somerset the locals frequently stop at the side of the road to have a natter to someone they know!

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

Mini roundabouts should be treated the same as a large roundabout, except if you are a large vehicle.

You wouldn’t drive over a normal roundabout.

Your actions (especially if they are inappropriate) could also impact on the actions of other motorists on the road.

Maybe worth a re-read of the Highway Code.

Seriously? Of course I wouldn't drive over a normal roundabout. But a painted circle on the road, when there's no exit to my right, only straight ahead and to my left, really doesn't warrant driving around lol 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

No it's not impossible, just pointless. Why would I drive my car around half a circle of paint if I can just drive straight over it? 

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

No it's not impossible, just pointless. Why would I drive my car around half a circle of paint if I can just drive straight over it? 

Observing the Highway Code? Being a decent driver?

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

Just now, Parafox said:

Because someone mi

Observing the Highway Code? Being a decent driver?

I think some of us might be picturing different types of roundabouts. Honestly, nobody drives around the ones I'm talking about, not even the police cars. It's literally pointless and nobody does it. It's a painted circle in the road, nobody is waiting to get on it, and there's certainly no need to drive round it. 

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I think some of us might be picturing different types of roundabouts. Honestly, nobody drives around the ones I'm talking about, not even the police cars. It's literally pointless and nobody does it. It's a painted circle in the road, nobody is waiting to get on it, and there's certainly no need to drive round it. 

I kind of know what you mean, there's one on Saffron Lane South near the academy, there's only 3 points of exit/entry, nothing from your right hand side, however that is there to slow vehicles down on the approach to the academy. That's the reason many seemingly "pointless" roundabouts are there. It's a traffic calming measure. They should be treated as a main roundabout. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I kind of know what you mean, there's one on Saffron Lane South near the academy, there's only 3 points of exit/entry, nothing from your right hand side, however that is there to slow vehicles down on the approach to the academy. That's the reason many seemingly "pointless" roundabouts are there. It's a traffic calming measure. They should be treated as a main roundabout. 

Yes you're only down the road from where I'm thinking! The one near the new garage by the church, just after the academy on the way into South Wigston, and the one near the prison and test centre, but on the way back out towards Pork Pie. 

I fully understand that they are there to slow down the traffic, and I do slow down for them. But I then drive over the paint if I'm going straight over :)

Oh and the one near the academy is raised, so you have to drive round it :)

• Like 1

M1 Leicester forest services last night, there was a lane closed and 2 police vans 

300yards apart, both had cameras sticking out the back, like a white circle camera, im sure there was no speed restrictions when i joined the moterway, bloody panicking now coz was in work van, but the camera sticking out the bk was more like a anpr camera, i was  doing around 64mph 

• 4 weeks later...

Driving around a few country roads today, ignorant cyclists are some of the most infuriating road users. 

Now I love cycling, but those who feel the need to ride 2 or 3 abreast on single lane roads are infuriating. It isn't comfortable for them to have me crawling behind them and neither is it for me having to sit behind them waiting to pass. 

All they need to do is swap to riding single file, cars can pass safely by and they can go back to riding next to each other once its clear again. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Driving around a few country roads today, ignorant cyclists are some of the most infuriating road users. 

Now I love cycling, but those who feel the need to ride 2 or 3 abreast on single lane roads are infuriating. It isn't comfortable for them to have me crawling behind them and neither is it for me having to sit behind them waiting to pass. 

All they need to do is swap to riding single file, cars can pass safely by and they can go back to riding next to each other once its clear again. 

Yep the Tour De France wannabes are a menace on the roads.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tuna said:

Yep the Tour De France wannabes are a menace on the roads.

They are also a menace on shared pedestrian/cycle paths. I'm sure the planners didn't envisage them being used by Lycra Louts on three grand racing bikes going past at 30mph.

10 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I’m not a cyclist but it’s safer for them to cycle side by side. To pass a cyclist safely you should give them half a lane width - this means that if there is a car coming in the other direction you shouldn’t be overtaking as you can’t give them sufficient space as you’d hit the car coming the other way. Therefore you should only overtake when nothing is coming the opposite direction, in which case it would be safe to go into the other lane regardless of if they are single file or two abreast. It’s safer for them because it forces drivers with your attitude to only overtake them when there is enough space :) 

10 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I'm not so sure, if they're the type to remain 2/3 abreast like that then then individually they're probably the type to cycle so far into the middle of the lane that you can't pass them until there's no oncoming traffic. 

There's a whole community built up around this behaviour, it all stems from the misconception that when the highway code suggests you should leave a cyclist as much room as a car it means they're entitled to an entire lane.

11 hours ago, filbertway said:

People getting right up my backside. I was doing 30 in a 30 earlier and the guy behind me was about touching my bumper like I should have been going faster. So weird.

I feel like the quieter periods were taken over by speeders over the lockdown and the last couple of times I've gone out, I've had a few different people right up my arse - even on winding country lanes where you need to keep it slow.

I live on a 30 road packed with cars parked either side and the speed I've heard some doing down it recently...

6 minutes ago, DB11 said:

I’m not a cyclist but it’s safer for them to cycle side by side. To pass a cyclist safely you should give them half a lane width - this means that if there is a car coming in the other direction you shouldn’t be overtaking as you can’t give them sufficient space as you’d hit the car coming the other way. Therefore you should only overtake when nothing is coming the opposite direction, in which case it would be safe to go into the other lane regardless of if they are single file or two abreast. It’s safer for them because it forces drivers with your attitude to only overtake them when there is enough space :) 

You see I am a cyclist and cycle frequently around the same roads I was driving on yesterday.

Riding 2 or 3 abreast isn't safe on the road I was on with the number of winding corners and pot holes/drain covers. Swerving to avoid them and you're basically near to crossing onto the other lane. 

Drivers regularly fly around them and the annoyance of having to sit behind them is more related to the risk and close calls I've seen on that road whilst on a bike and car.

I'll ignore the "drivers with your attitude" comment

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

I'm not so sure, if they're the type to remain 2/3 abreast like that then then individually they're probably the type to cycle so far into the middle of the lane that you can't pass them until there's no oncoming traffic. 

There's a whole community built up around this behaviour, it all stems from the misconception that when the highway code suggests you should leave a cyclist as much room as a car it means they're entitled to an entire lane.

I have no issues giving cyclists space as it's horrible having a car basically squeeze by you, but it's common sense on this on. 60mph winding roads aren't the best place to start riding 2 or 3 abreast where the inside line is covered with bad tarmac and drain covers to be swerving around.

Annoying having to sit behind them, but more annoyance of the potential risks they're putting themselves at for drivers who regularly fly down those roads. 

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

You see I am a cyclist and cycle frequently around the same roads I was driving on yesterday.

Riding 2 or 3 abreast isn't safe on the road I was on with the number of winding corners and pot holes/drain covers. Swerving to avoid them and you're basically near to crossing onto the other lane. 

Drivers regularly fly around them and the annoyance of having to sit behind them is more related to the risk and close calls I've seen on that road whilst on a bike and car.

I'll ignore the "drivers with your attitude" comment

I have no issues giving cyclists space as it's horrible having a car basically squeeze by you, but it's common sense on this on. 60mph winding roads aren't the best place to start riding 2 or 3 abreast where the inside line is covered with bad tarmac and drain covers to be swerving around.

Annoying having to sit behind them, but more annoyance of the potential risks they're putting themselves at for drivers who regularly fly down those roads. 

I have no issues giving space either, which is why it's selfish when you get stuck behind a cyclist on a road which is easily wide enough to accommodate safe passing.  Bonus points when there's a cycle lane anyway as is often the case in and around Cambridge.

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I feel like the quieter periods were taken over by speeders over the lockdown and the last couple of times I've gone out, I've had a few different people right up my arse - even on winding country lanes where you need to keep it slow.

I live on a 30 road packed with cars parked either side and the speed I've heard some doing down it recently...

Definitely, its annoying because I subconsciously end up speeding up,  looked down and i was on 35, so obviously slowed down again. Which im sure he percieved as me trying to wind him up haha.

Cant be doing with it