Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

1 hour ago, Livid said:

What is it with the City of Wolverhampton taxi plates in Leicester.

Is it cheaper or easier aquire in Wolverhampton? 

Interesting comment. I've also noticed this. I wonder if it's something to do with Social Services transporting clients to meetings in either area. I know my own (adopted) daughter had a taxi to meet birth mum in Wolverhampton. Guess it could be anywhere, though. Sometimes mental health facilities use taxis to move low risk patients around to various places where they have managed to locate a bed.

33 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Interesting comment. I've also noticed this. I wonder if it's something to do with Social Services transporting clients to meetings in either area. I know my own (adopted) daughter had a taxi to meet birth mum in Wolverhampton. Guess it could be anywhere, though. Sometimes mental health facilities use taxis to move low risk patients around to various places where they have managed to locate a bed.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/transport/more-50-wakefield-taxi-drivers-get-licence-wolverhampton-council-because-its-cheaper-2523460%3famp

Found it. Not just Leicester, Cheaper and Easier to get and a licence from one authority is all you need to work in another. 

22 hours ago, Livid said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/transport/more-50-wakefield-taxi-drivers-get-licence-wolverhampton-council-because-its-cheaper-2523460%3famp

Found it. Not just Leicester, Cheaper and Easier to get and a licence from one authority is all you need to work in another. 

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Same applies in Birmingham. All the taxis registered to Wolves 

Interesting. You'd think there'd be a standard charge. So if a customer in Leicester has a complaint or an issue with a taxi with a Wolves based licence, they'd have to deal with Wolves city council, presumably.

On 27/08/2020 at 17:45, Livid said:

What is it with the City of Wolverhampton taxi plates in Leicester.

Is it cheaper or easier aquire in Wolverhampton? 

I asked a taxi driver this and not just to do with the cost. Basically, in Leicester there is a massive waiting list to get a Leicester taxi license, so people just go to Wolverhampton to get one.

• Thanks 1

What i did notice this morning was the amount of extra traffic on the roads. Normally a 10 minute trip to work took me 20 minutes along with what appeared to be quite an aggressive traffic flow. Now i'm not one for putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5, but is it by no coincidence that this is due to schools returning today, along with the very people that are always condemning the use of motor cars and the damage they do to the environment.

12 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

What i did notice this morning was the amount of extra traffic on the roads. Normally a 10 minute trip to work took me 20 minutes along with what appeared to be quite an aggressive traffic flow. Now i'm not one for putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5, but is it by no coincidence that this is due to schools returning today, along with the very people that are always condemning the use of motor cars and the damage they do to the environment.

My drive home was very busy today. Didn’t help getting caught by the quarry train at Bardon, but Soar Valley Way and up to the Pork Pie Roundabout was reminiscent of pre lockdown levels. 

I'm glad I wasn't there to see this but a big shout out to whoever was revving his Lamborghini and apparently driving it as fast as he could over a distance of about 10 metres in front of my kids' primary school at pick up time this afternoon.

I assume he was a time traveler from 1983. The children were impressed, the adults less so

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Someone I work with noted roads are as busy as usual, if not more so, with people avoiding using public transport.  

I'm sure I've posted this before as it really does get my goat but driving on the motorway, it does my head in when people overtake, move in front of you and then slow down.

Driving down the M69 this morning and some nut job driving a hired box van motors right up behind me, I can't move into the slow lane as there is literally a row of about 5 HGV's. He then floors it to overtake me and as soon as he was in front of me, he pulls into my lane and then proceeds to slow down. I wouldn't mind but I had cruise control on at 70mph so it wasn't like I'd sped up to stop him overtaking me! 

Minding my own business this morning cycling to work along a quiet road when I saw a white van man getting ready to pull off his drive, I was close enough to see him look at me (in my high vis) and lo and behold he proceeds to pull off his drive right in front of me causing me to swerve and stop, he stops in the middle of the road and beckons me to continue, no apology, no nothing, complete c*nt.

Since when did they change the speed limit to a 50 from a 60 on the Hinckley Road between Leicester and Earl Shilton? Feels really slow. It’s stupid because there are country roads in the surrounding area which at 60 and they are less straight and more narrow. Seems bizarre. 

10 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Since when did they change the speed limit to a 50 from a 60 on the Hinckley Road between Leicester and Earl Shilton? Feels really slow. It’s stupid because there are country roads in the surrounding area which at 60 and they are less straight and more narrow. Seems bizarre. 

I noticed this the other day, perhaps the amount of farms and junctions coming off it, with the hills/trees obstructing the view makes it dangerous? Used to use that road regularly and whilst it seemed pretty safe at 60 if you had your head screwed on, there was occasionally the crashed car up on the verge.

5 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

From what I understand they generally make these changes reactively, so it is likely that this road sees a higher number of incidents than the other roads you describe.

1 hour ago, potter3 said:

From what I understand they generally make these changes reactively, so it is likely that this road sees a higher number of incidents than the other roads you describe.

I think there has been a couple of accidents near the peckleton junction?

On 12/09/2020 at 11:24, Ian Nacho said:

On 12/09/2020 at 11:36, Finnaldo said:

I noticed this the other day, perhaps the amount of farms and junctions coming off it, with the hills/trees obstructing the view makes it dangerous? Used to use that road regularly and whilst it seemed pretty safe at 60 if you had your head screwed on, there was occasionally the crashed car up on the verge.

I've been to 4 fatal collisions on that stretch as well as a number of serious and minor incidents in the last 8 years. There's a trigger number of incidents involving personal injury before the council consider reducing speed limits or introducing other methods of managing speeds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I've been to 4 fatal collisions on that stretch as well as a number of serious and minor incidents in the last 8 years. There's a trigger number of incidents involving personal injury before the council consider reducing speed limits or introducing other methods of managing speeds.

I’m not surprised by that to be honest, it’s not rare to see someone try to overtake on that stretch despite the view road being obstructed. As I said, there’s always a wrecked car left roadside down there.