Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

Cricket 2015

I used to play cricket (I know, I know, I was young) with a James Taylor in Sileby.

I've checked a couple of times and I'm always disappointed it's not the same person. Nice to see a Leicestershire lad on the world stage, though.

Anderson, Broad have been shocking

Morgan is so inept

Bell should not be opening the batting

Michael Atherton & co need to stop going on like 300 is some amazing score, yeah 10 years ago maybe, ABD could probably get 300 on his own nowadays

We are so regressive it's embarrassing, seriously boring to watch but that's not a surprise when we have Peter "as dull as dishwater" Moores in charge

I'm still not happy he came back, we needed a whole new look not someone who failed first time in the job

Yeah we are ok at test cricket but give it time & bore fest Moores will soon fvck that up

Sack em all!

Yet again too slow in the middle overs. We are incapable of turning the strike over. After such a positive start we should have been at about 250 after 40 overs, then allowed a hack at the end to get to between 325-350. Ballance needs to go, with Taylor moving up to 3 and bring Bopara in. Morgan can't justify his position in the side being so out of form and leading a losing side every week, but there is no chance he will be dropped. This is what I would like to see.

Ali
Hales
Taylor ©
Bell
Root
Buttler
Bopara
Woakes
Finn
Tredwell
Anderson

Michael Atherton & co need to stop going on like 300 is some amazing score, yeah 10 years ago maybe, ABD could probably get 300 on his own nowadays

It's so commonplace for teams to get 100 runs in the last ten overs that even England can do it lol

The most comical thing about this whole debacle is that we rearranged the Ashes so we could have a good run up to the World Cup. We could get a settled side and really get this ODI thing sorted. Work out our best team, our best order, our best way of playing. Plenty of time to practice and play together, without the players being distracted and tired after a gruelling Test series against Australia. Then we ditch our captain after the penultimate series, piss around with our playing order, bring in someone who didn't play in either Sri Lanka or the Tri Series (to replace someone who we didn't use for his bowling despite his batting looking shaky) and worse than even I expected lol

Yet again too slow in the middle overs. We are incapable of turning the strike over. After such a positive start we should have been at about 250 after 40 overs, then allowed a hack at the end to get to between 325-350. Ballance needs to go, with Taylor moving up to 3 and bring Bopara in. Morgan can't justify his position in the side being so out of form and leading a losing side every week, but there is no chance he will be dropped. This is what I would like to see.

Ali

Hales

Taylor ©

Bell

Root

Buttler

Bopara

Woakes

Finn

Tredwell

Anderson

There should be no place for Finn or Bopara in the England set up at the minute.

Jordan in for Finn and Luke Wright in for Bopara and you might be on to something.

Joe root will be next England captain, in all forms. Didn't watch but who's to blame?

Rubbish plans by Morgan and moores or inept bowling? Anderson and broad are not as good as they think they are anymore, and Finn should have the pace in Australia but he doesn't have the agreession.

There should be no place for Finn or Bopara in the England set up at the minute.

Jordan in for Finn and Luke Wright in for Bopara and you might be on to something.

I agree with the Jordan point, he definitely deserves a go instead of Finn. Only got Bopara in because we need an extra bowling option. At the minute we have 4 samey seamers and 2 part time off spinners. Wright has never really produced for England though, despite his One Day ability.

Genuinely not taking the piss despite the timing of my asking but how big is the world cup considered to cricket fans, particularly in England where the test game is traditionally favoured?

Like obviously, it's the pinnacle of the sport in football and rugby. In cricket, would you rather be the world number one test side for a few years or win a world cup? Would you rather win the ashes a few years running or even once or win a world cup?

I'd love a World Cup, we've had four Ashes wins in the last decade but the World Cup is a huge event and England have never won a major one day trophy (lost four finals, should've won at least three).

Seems to be going to type, the big nations are strolling past us, we'll probably knock the minnows and then limp to the quarter-finals where the top side in the other group (India, most likely) send us home.

Just an absolute disgrace and a complete and utter shambles.

I knew it would happen as you'll see above but believe you me I take very little pleasure in being right all the time. In fact I woke up and am now just really pissed off.

Moores and Morgan have to go. We are unbelievably short of quality one-day players, but what's even more disturbing is that our good Test players can't translate their games, bar maybe Root. Look at all the other Test nations, they all have at least a few players who excel at both forms. In some cases the spine of the team is exactly the same.

No questioning Anderson's enduring quality with the red ball, so why is he just absolute shite with the white ball?

Moeen - Decent but unreliable

Bell - A very good batsman but can't do it in one-days (Reasons unknown)

Ballance - Absolute muck. Get rid.

Root - Good enough. Deserves a place in the side in both Test and ODIs.

Morgan - Just fvck off, seriously. Clueless and incompetent.

Taylor - Good enough. Should be in the one-day side.

Buttler - Good enough. A good one-day 'keeper and exactly the sort you need in your batting line-up.

Woakes - Decent enough bowler, the closest thing to a genuine one-day bowler we have, but is he world class? Is he fvck.

Finn - On his day he's great. Unfortunately his day is February 29th.

Broad - Ill-disciplined and inaccurate. Has the makings of a great one-day player in him but just isn't. Batting's gone to shit.

Anderson - Was and is one of our greatest ever Test bowlers, but has never been much in one-days. Why is this?

3 or 4 players who are good enough. Throw in a terrible captain and a dreadful coach and it's really no surprise we are this bad. Still doesn't make it any less infuriating. I won't be watching any more of our group stage games. 

MOORES OUT!

Genuinely not taking the piss despite the timing of my asking but how big is the world cup considered to cricket fans, particularly in England where the test game is traditionally favoured?

Like obviously, it's the pinnacle of the sport in football and rugby. In cricket, would you rather be the world number one test side for a few years or win a world cup? Would you rather win the ashes a few years running or even once or win a world cup?

I'm only a moderate cricket fan but I'd say being world number 1 at tests would be bigger than a world cup win. Would probably slightly prefer to win the world cup than an Ashes series although that is huge. Winning an away Ashes series would be pretty big, I'd probably prefer that.

The problem with the world cup is the fact we are so inept in so many areas and look completely uncompetitive. We are probably about equal to Zimbabwe and Ireland when we should at least offer a threat against anybody. I feel that NZ or AUS could literally play us 10 times and win all 10.

We've got an awful captaincy (I won't say an awful captain because I think Morgan has been thrown in with an impossible job).

We've got the wrong line up despite having no reason not to have sorted it. The batting is painful at times and we have no ruthlessness, and the bowling is completely one dimensional. It's making a lot of our players look worse than they are.

There's enough decent cricketers from England to be able to put together a balanced and competitive ODI side with options for bowling and dynamism in the batting.

309 isn't a bad total though, it's just not one that you can defend without a bit of effort. I'd imagine the majority of bowling attacks would feel they could defend that. We bowled like we had posted 400.

We need to be flexible in the batting order as well, buttler is a big threat down the order yet only gets to face 18 balls, if it's got to the last 10-15 overs he needs to come in earlier.

Too many similar players, hales is the only real power hitter so needs to have a chance, Ben stokes need to be recalled as well. Maybe Jason Roy too.

Bowling has been poor in one day cricket for a while and problem is there doesn't seem to be many better alternatives.

agree- bowling was $hite  and the body language between broad , Anderson and Morgan wasn't too special - I suspect without any real evidence that they (Anderson and Broad)  are a couple of mardy twats and there is nothing more pathetic than watching a bowler deliver a load of pies and then start scowling at the fielders when they fail to fling themselves about trying to cut off the boundaries that inevitably result

Saffers looking good for 350+ against the Irish.

Ireland will surely just look to bat out their overs and get within 50 or so of SA's total - that way (depending on other results) they might still be ok with a defeat against Pakistan, as long as it is not too heavy.

It's truly frightening how easy the big teams make accruing a big total in ODI's compared to England.

Guest MattP

Bit of a disaster that for Ireland, huge NRR collapse and with Pakistan playing the UAE you would think they have to win the win that match and Zimbabwe now.

That's why Ireland would be a joke at Test Cricket at this point in time, batting I think they would just about be ok but I don't think they would ever take 20 wickets - they only take 4 when decent opposition are sloggging for 20 overs. Boyd Rankin would be there best bowler by a country mile and he can't make England's squad.

That's why Ireland would be a joke at Test Cricket at this point in time, batting I think they would just about be ok but I don't think they would ever take 20 wickets - they only take 4 when decent opposition are sloggging for 20 overs. Boyd Rankin would be there best bowler by a country mile and he can't make England's squad.

You act as though England would do better :D 

Guest MattP

You act as though England would do better :D

As bad as we are at this format at the minute, we're still a pretty efficient test nation. :thumbup:

Only the Saffers and the Aussies are better than us.

Bit of a disaster that for Ireland, huge NRR collapse and with Pakistan playing the UAE you would think they have to win the win that match and Zimbabwe now.

For all the hype I unfortunately agree with this.

However, I would like to think we wouldn't be too much worse than Zimbabwe or Bangladesh.

Archived