Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hejammy

Ulloa

I would assume because we had a limited pool of money and come January he cost too much. I also suspect the concern was about his ability to adapt to the 'English' game, over recent season the most succesful strikers signed by more modest clubs have had at least 2 years experience in Britain (Lambert, Fletcher, Holt, Long, Jelavic).

I don't think Ulloa is particularly good, but I do feel that he cost an appropriate sum as, in terms of other summer signings, no striker has really achieved what Ulloa has.

But that's the thing, he should of been looked at in the summer not January if we were chucking those sums of money around. And I don't think it's case of comparing to the very few strikers that were bought for money into the PL in that particular transfer window, it's a very basic way of looking at it, there are plenty of other players out there.

But that's the thing, he should of been looked at in the summer not January if we were chucking those sums of money around. And I don't think it's case of comparing to the very few strikers that were bought for money into the PL in that particular transfer window, it's a very basic way of looking at it, there are plenty of other players out there.

Could you name a few?

We only looked at Okazaki because his contract is running down, Japanese players are not renowned for their ability to succeed outside of their homeland so paying €15-20m would be quite a risk

Could you name a few?

We only looked at Okazaki because his contract is running down, Japanese players are not renowned for their ability to succeed outside of their homeland so paying €15-20m would be quite a risk

If you really want to play that game I doubt Alberto Bueno would cost anything like that given the Sheep Shaggers had him on loan, he's rattled in 18 this season. Demba Ba was a player I mentioned at the time who went for significantly less than  Ulloa, wages would of been more granted but we could use the 5-7 million saved on the transfer to offset that, previous Prem experience, he's had no trouble scoring goals this season. Andre at Vitoria, Fabio Quagilerria was another player I mentioned at the time who went for 3 million, 13 to his name this season.

Sorry MP, but your'e making a very basic mistake here.....The fee paid for a player, and his current age  are both factors beyond the control of the player himself........The fact is, Leo, (who cannot help his DOB or the fee paid by LCFC), has scored 8 in 31 in the PL, whilst Ings, (who similarly has NO influence in when he was born or what Burnley paid for him), has similar stats.....End of!!

Er no your making a very basic mistake in not grasping the concept of the discussion going on here at all. 

If you really want to play that game I doubt Alberto Bueno would cost anything like that given the Sheep Shaggers had him on loan, he's rattled in 18 this season. Demba Ba was a player I mentioned at the time who went for significantly less than  Ulloa, wages would of been more granted but we could use the 5-7 million saved on the transfer to offset that, previous Prem experience, he's had no trouble scoring goals this season. Andre at Vitoria, Fabio Quagilerria was another player I mentioned at the time who went for 3 million, 13 to his name this season.

Ahhh. Google.

Ahhh. Google.

Check the the original thread if you want mate. Had a nice long debate with Babylon about Ba and Quagliarella instead of Ulloa in the sumer, I am sure he will be happy to tell you all about if you don't believe me, don't be upset just because you've got no come back.

I would say that Alberto Bueno was on the lips of virtually no one (including his own club's supporters) prior to this year having boasted a very mediocre career to date. Demba Ba is earning an obscene amount in Turkey (a reported 80k a week) which would shatter our comparatively modest 30k a week ceiling. Fabio Quagilerria had a rotten time at Juve (it was Juve right?) if memory serves me right and I think he's north of 30 whilst I've no ****ing idea who Andre is so I'll have to google him at some point.

If you don't expect him to hold the ball up or even regularly control the ball then he's a raving success.

He's a great instinctive finisher but he's not much more than a lump outside of the penalty area.

In fairness, I seem to remember he was that at Brighton. He's Chris Wood with a dodgy goatee - give him a chance, he'll give you a goal, but doesn't contribute much else.

This is all irrelevant. Leo has 10 goals so far this season, and cost a quarter of the transfer fee of Diego Costa. Therefore, DC needs to score 4 times as many goals as him to be considered a better signing.

Diego Costa has 20 goals this season in all competitions. Leo has 10.

Therefore, Leo Ulloa is better value for money than Diego Costa.

Actually, scratch that.

Leo Ulloa is twice as good value as Diego Costa.

I would say that Alberto Bueno was on the lips of virtually no one (including his own club's supporters) prior to this year having boasted a very mediocre career to date. Demba Ba is earning an obscene amount in Turkey (a reported 80k a week) which would shatter our comparatively modest 30k a week ceiling. Fabio Quagilerria had a rotten time at Juve (it was Juve right?) if memory serves me right and I think he's north of 30 whilst I've no ****ing idea who Andre is so I'll have to google him at some point.

I would argue Leonardo Ulloa was on the lips of virtually no one (with the exception of possibly his own club's supporters) prior to this year having boasted a very mediocre career to date the difference is Ulloa is still pretty average and Bueno has scored 18 goals.

That 30k limit is bollocks though isn't it, we all know that now several players are on more. That's ignoring that if Ulloa is on 20,000 and costs 8 Million and Ba is on 80,000 and 4 Million, Demba Ba is more cost effective if signed for one year and only slightly more if signed for two, definitley more cost effective if we stay up and Ulloa costing 10.

No Quagilerria is an old man, but he has scored goals at a relatively reasonable rate wherever he has been (top level his entire career)

This is getting a bit pointless though tbh I think this season could of been much easier if approached differently and the signing of Ulloa albeit being one of my big bug bears is only part of that. Ultimatley, most weeks, you'll have more people slating the bloke than praising him except on the odd week when he scores, even you have said you don't think he is a particularly good player.

I would argue Leonardo Ulloa was on the lips of virtually no one (with the exception of possibly his own club's supporters) prior to this year having boasted a very mediocre career to date the difference is Ulloa is still pretty average and Bueno has scored 18 goals.

That 30k limit is bollocks though isn't it, we all know that now several players are on more. That's ignoring that if Ulloa is on 20,000 and costs 8 Million and Ba is on 80,000 and 4 Million, Demba Ba is more cost effective if signed for one year and only slightly more if signed for two, definitley more cost effective if we stay up and Ulloa costing 10.

No Quagilerria is an old man, but he has scored goals at a relatively reasonable rate wherever he has been (top level his entire career)

This is getting a bit pointless though tbh I think this season could of been much easier if approached differently and the signing of Ulloa albeit being one of my big bug bears is only part of that. Ultimatley, most weeks, you'll have more people slating the bloke than praising him except on the odd week when he scores, even you have said you don't think he is a particularly good player.

I think you're being slightly disengenuous with regards Ulloa as he'd registered something like 10 goals a season for the past 5 or 6 years and was well regarded in the Championship for the past two seasons. Certainly he'd never been a sustained success at the top level but then we didn't have the finances to attract players who have (quite how we got Cambiasso is a mystery).

We don't know players are on more than 30k, no one other than the ladies who work in the wages office and the players themselves know what they earn. If we entertain the thought that some are on more than the reported wage ceiling then 80k would still be in excess of what they are paid, we'd also have to conceed that a choice between us and Besiktas would only have one winner.

Sadly for us (but mainly you) the going rate in England for a striker is above what is paid in other european leagues.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived