Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Guiza

Will Our Success Bring Future Generations of Young Fans?

I first went to filbo in1995 when I was a fat 6 year old. We fvcked off to denmark in 97, but still followed the club until about 2005 when my interest in football died a bit and I got more interested in beer and girls. Got back into football in 07, was lucky enough to experience the relegation season and obviously all the rides since the league 1 season. Now it's the highlight of my week when we play.

I think a lot of my mates over here are jealous that I support the team and city that I'm from. They support man united and the likes but I think they feel that it doesn't have the same value compared to how my family and I follow Leicester. They're all well into watching Leicester games with my dad and brothers when we watch a game at the local pub, sometimes even more so than watching their team play. It makes me realise that it's quite a privileged thing to support your local team along with family members.

Hung up the Manchester United shirts 12 weeks ago and started supporting this beautiful Club while we were dead last on the ladder before the streak. Something about the club caught my eye and haven't looked back! Boy, was i stunned with what happened afterwards.

Surely, i don't go down as a glory hunter/ bandwagoner if we were last and only won three games?

Grill me if you want. I do support this club.  :scarf:

Welcome aboard mate, ignore the miserable bastards above. You've seen the light, thats good enough for me.

I just don't understand how people can be bred in a certain city and yet have the gall to banter about the local team as if it's not their own

Like my son? Born and bred just outside Southampton, hates them with a passion. Leicester thru and thru, integral part of Union FS and sk1

My lad is 8. Always been LCFC crazy. Had no choice initially but my passion has rubbed off. Most of his mates came to training in various kits and only a couple sporting a LCFC kit and I had blank looks when I likened any of their play to a LCFC player as us coaches do to boost their confidence. Had to use Ronaldo, Messi, Costa, Terry etc even Andy Friggin Reid for one lad who supports Forest!!.., . Spark entry to the prem, Match Attax cards include the foxes, a main team in FIFA 15 complete with the KP stadium. Now they all turn up in Leicester kits, and the Forest lad wants one :-)  all know the players, disagree with me when I liken them to one player by suggesting they want to be a LCFC player.

Being in the prem makes a massive difference from a young age and bodes well for the future. The longer we are there, the more that get 'the bug' which once gained has no antidote.... even a future relegation. The longer we stay the more future fans we secure!!

Keep up the good work sir!

Expand the stadium, give the kids cheap prices to attend and we will hook them in. Of cause I know in reality that isn't going to happen but I agree that if they are from Leicester (shire) then they should support Leicester or be shot!

As much as some more time in the PL - I think the other major thing that is and will continue to, build the fanbase - is the fact that Nigel Pearson has built up a 'proper team'.

By that I mean, we've got a real sense of continuity with players from season to season - with a real, tangible relationship between the squad and the fans. 

We've got:

Schmeichel -  been here 4 years - 180 apps

De Laet - 3 years - 114

Morgan - 3.5 years - 158

Drinkwater - 3.5 - 138

James - 3 - 99

King - 9 - 302

Vardy - 3 - 106

Schlupp - 5 - 114

Moore - 4 - 66

Nugent - 4 - 180

Think of all the dross we had after the MON years - with players coming and going - some real mercenaries with no attachment to the club or fans

Add Conrad Logan to that list, 14 years - 30 apps

We will probably get a lot of Thai fans being in the prem. As for locally it will definitely help attract new fans. Especially if we keep playing attacking football

We will probably get a lot of Thai fans being in the prem. As for locally it will definitely help attract new fans. Especially if we keep playing attacking football

Hung up the Manchester United shirts 12 weeks ago and started supporting this beautiful Club while we were dead last on the ladder before the streak. Something about the club caught my eye and haven't looked back! Boy, was i stunned with what happened afterwards.

Surely, i don't go down as a glory hunter/ bandwagoner if we were last and only won three games?

Grill me if you want. I do support this club. :scarf:

Really sorry mate but I don't understand the mentality here? You can't choose to change your club!

I hate the argument about proper fans and plastics etc. But it does apply here! You can't possibly feel the same elation as we do when we score a goal and you can't feel the same pain as we do when we lose.

My lad is two months and a bit. 

The quicker ones of you have already done the maths and deducted correctly that he is a bit of a lucky charm for LCFC! 

I very much hope we'll stay up for the next 5-8 years so he will have a reason to support Citeh (we live in an Arsenal/Luton catchment area so there is some temptation if LCFC is not top flight).

However, I can always come back to this year and tell him that the season he was born, we only lost twice after he entered the world – and we stayed up because of him. If that's not reason enough to support his old man's team then I don't know what is! 

Really sorry mate but I don't understand the mentality here? You can't choose to change your club!

I hate the argument about proper fans and plastics etc. But it does apply here! You can't possibly feel the same elation as we do when we score a goal and you can't feel the same pain as we do when we lose.

Come on chaps, cut the lad some slack. Not everyone is lucky enough to be born into a Leicester-loving family. How many of us have been married twice, do we get stick for changing horses (metaphorically) in mid course? As long as he buys a couple of flags and gets himself into sk1, he should be welcomed as a born again City fan.

Come on chaps, cut the lad some slack. Not everyone is lucky enough to be born into a Leicester-loving family. How many of us have been married twice, do we get stick for changing horses (metaphorically) in mid course? As long as he buys a couple of flags and gets himself into sk1, he should be welcomed as a born again City fan.

Yeah nothing personal just find it very strange

Have applied to join :thumbup:

Yeah nothing personal just find it very strange

Its only strange to us because we've always been city. Maybe he's realised that being a glory hunting manc was just plain wrong, and he wants to support a proper club with proper fans.

Why the hell am I being so bloody reasonable? Must be the euphoria of the last few weeks!

Just noticed he's in Oz, so the flags and sk1 are off I presume?

Mother and her family were from Manchester and all supported Manchester United, hence the earlier support for them. But then grew on me as a sort of 'glory hunting' club and began to lose interest in them as i didn't exactly feel a part of the Club as someone should. Leicester City came into the frame and feels like i actually support the club rather than feeling like a sheep of everyone else.

When we win the Premier League next season, and the Champions League the year after that, will you ditch us and support Burnley?

Inevitably more success brings about more fans. I'm 22,started following us really in the midst of the MON period, so you could argue that success then and the fact that Leicester were a relatively big club attracted me. I've never stopped following us, but if I was 5 years younger and brought up during Levein/Kelly/Holloway era, I'm not sure it's as appealing. Put it this way, I know a lot of older people who support Leeds and clubs like that, and you wouldn't get any rational kids supporting Leeds without a connection.

By now people know my story why I support Leicester( 1st shiny sticker in my panini sticker book)No other connections whatsoever but even as a youngster Leicester mad.

Find it odd that a large City with a relatively large football team has supporters from other clubs.Yes ,I know I'm from Cambridge so a bit hypercritical but we have hardly ever been a " glory team" until now!

I've been able to shift my 8 year old from Chelsea to Leicester based on our promotion. We now have season tickets (glory hunting) and renewed prior to the deadline (and safety). I think he is into it more than me now.

I had a season ticket during the little/McGhee/MON years and don't think that will ever be beaten.

Amen to that - I could've been a Woking or even a Chelsea fan in another life.  Fortunately my Grandad intervened at an early age, but not all are so lucky.

If you hail from Leicestershire then you should support Leicester City. It's as simple as that.

More should be done to exploit the reservoir of potential unity which exists in both the city and the county. The county is named from the city which is its largest settlement.

The city of Leicester is located slap bang in the middle of the county so there is no north/south, east/west divide. 

Also Leicester City is the only professional football club in the county. People talk about Newcastle as a one-club city but we are a one-club city and a one-club county and have been since the late 1890s when Loughborough briefly had a team in the 2nd Division. (How many people knew that?)

If you come from Leicester or from Leicestershire then there's no excuse for not supporting City at football, the Tigers at rugby and Leicestershire CC at cricket. It's as simple as that.

If you hail from Leicestershire then you should support Leicester City. It's as simple as that.

More should be done to exploit the reservoir of potential unity which exists in both the city and the county. The county is named from the city which is its largest settlement.

The city of Leicester is located slap bang in the middle of the county so there is no north/south, east/west divide. 

Also Leicester City is the only professional football club in the county. People talk about Newcastle as a one-club city but we are a one-club city and a one-club county and have been since the late 1890s when Loughborough briefly had a team in the 2nd Division. (How many people knew that?)

If you come from Leicester or from Leicestershire then there's no excuse for not supporting City at football, the Tigers at rugby and Leicestershire CC at cricket. It's as simple as that.

Is it though?

I've been a city fan from a young age, born and bred in Leicester. I am now 30, living in Birmingham and with a wife and my first child due to be born just before the start of next season. 

My son's closest ground will be St. Andrew's. By your logic he should be a Birmingham fan, a lot of my mates at work tell me that he should be a Birmingham fan. I'm telling you now he will certainly not be a Birmingham fan. Am I right or am I wrong?

(He certainly will not be a Villa fan which is my wife's team)

Problem is not being able to get them (kids)  into the stadium when the big moments are happening.

eg The Man U come back, or any of the last 8 games... kids need to see and hear the place bouncing, they learn that singing, shouting and supporting YOUR team is a joy that few other things can match.

The owners, (bless their cotton socks etc) if they are serious about growing the club and becoming a perfroming profitable 1st division side, will need to increase capacity to ensure they can start to breed the next generation of supporters.

Archived