Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fridgechef

International Champions Cup

Alright let's not make this an intelligent British vs stupid Americans thing when really it's a simple question of having principles vs being hypocrites:  I don't want us playing in a marquee tournament organised by a complete cockhead just because there's money in it when we've spent all season proving that it's not about having the biggest balance sheet and the most expensive players.  We're about to have our most successful fiscal year since the club came into existence anyway so money really shouldn't be an issue for anybody who isn't corrupted by greed.  The only argument that can be made is it would be kind of cool to see Leicester play Barca and PSG and the likes but we'll be doing that next season anyway.

Two members of our squad have been convicted of assault, the moral implications of playing an overseas friendly tournament should hardly be our biggest concern. If the financial boost allow the club to reduce ticket prices, then we'll all be praising the fantastic generosity of our club and condemning clubs less well off on the pitch who aren't doing the same - we won't be complaining that we had to sell our soul by playing in some overseas tournament to fund it.

Alright let's not make this an intelligent British vs stupid Americans thing when really it's a simple question of having principles vs being hypocrites:  I don't want us playing in a marquee tournament organised by a complete cockhead just because there's money in it when we've spent all season proving that it's not about having the biggest balance sheet and the most expensive players.  We're about to have our most successful fiscal year since the club came into existence anyway so money really shouldn't be an issue for anybody who isn't corrupted by greed.  The only argument that can be made is it would be kind of cool to see Leicester play Barca and PSG and the likes but we'll be doing that next season anyway.

It isn't about that either. 

It's about wanting money and publicity or not.

I think whether it's this or something else, we will do a "Tour" of sorts this season. Can imagine us only seeing the one, maybe two friendlies in this country.

I mean, technically, haven't the club toured Thailand a few times? So we're definitely touring somewhere, right?

Wait, what's your point there?

The post I was responding to was challenging whether any "young Americans" would grow to care about the club given we'd be thrashed by Bayern or fill in the blank-team on tour. Well, considering we actually get more TV access to Premier League matches than anyone in England, it's not as if our club hasn't already made in-roads here.

Regardless of some meaningless preseason friendly result, it would be fantastic for any Leicester supporter out here to see the players in the flesh. Not everyone can fly often across the pond to catch matches.

While I do understand some of the objections raised,.I hope it happens. Personally speaking, I don't have the money to fly to England to see Leicester play in person, but I can swing a trip to Chicago, Orlando or wherever they host this event. From the clubs perspective I think the exposure in the USA could be lucrative.  The stateside interest in the PL is growing rapidly, even down here in the backwaters of the deep south. If I am Leicester I strike while the iron is hot.

Two members of our squad have been convicted of assault, the moral implications of playing an overseas friendly tournament should hardly be our biggest concern. If the financial boost allow the club to reduce ticket prices, then we'll all be praising the fantastic generosity of our club and condemning clubs less well off on the pitch who aren't doing the same - we won't be complaining that we had to sell our soul by playing in some overseas tournament to fund it.

You were complaining that we sold our soul because we sacked Nigel but you're fine with tacitly supporting a man who's shown huge disrespect to us and 14 other Premier League clubs?

It isn't about that either. 

It's about wanting money and publicity or not.

I refer you to my earlier point about having our best fiscal year ever.  Might be different if whatshisname hadn't come out and said the things he did but in the present circumstances I would see it as a major loss of face and it looks like I'm not alone in feeling that way.  And as @@filbertway's just correctly pointed out - how much more publicity do we need???

As to the Americans wanting to see the club first hand - that's fair enough but this isn't the right way to achieve that.  Just because something feels good etc.

They f**k off for two reasons. 

Firstly the comments they aimed towards us. 

Second, I still say to this day that our pre-season what involved just a return flight to Austria and going as far as Lincoln on these isles has helped us this season a lot. We are going to have a few returning players from international competition as well, so let's help them rather than get them doing more travelling. 

As to the Americans wanting to see the club first hand - that's fair enough but this isn't the right way to achieve that.  Just because something feels good etc.

What is the right way, then?

EDIT: If you mean, we're not really seeing Leicester if they come out here because it's a meaningless friendly, so what? There are a few of us out here who are emotionally invested enough in the club to fly over (I have a handful of times), but not everyone has $1000+ RT to fly from the US to LHR, Birmingham, or Manchester, then train to Leicester, then even get tickets nowadays with how difficult that's becoming.

The more we get to see our club, the better.

I refer you to my earlier point about having our best fiscal year ever.  Might be different if whatshisname hadn't come out and said the things he did but in the present circumstances I would see it as a major loss of face and it looks like I'm not alone in feeling that way.  And as @@filbertway's just correctly pointed out - how much more publicity do we need???

Obviously not the best example, but let's translate this to a corporate example: I'm some publically-listed company, and I'm going to flat out tell my shareholders, no, we refuse to sell more even though the demand is out there. It's not because of capacity constraints or even exclusivity, it's just we have "too much pride" so we'll stay away. How would the market react?

As crude and unromantic as it is to say, our club is still a business and investment to Vichai and Top. It's not like they had a connection to Leicester before acquiring the club. They would be dumb to say no to more money.

Perhaps you're right in your implicit point that there's diminishing returns to publicity and money. But considering there's many who still don't know much about the club (even within England), branching out isn't a bad thing at all in concept.

Plus yes, I'm a biased American and I want to see us play out here and bring all my friends. Don't have as many friends willing to fly with me to London or Leicester to catch a match.

You were complaining that we sold our soul because we sacked Nigel but you're fine with tacitly supporting a man who's shown huge disrespect to us and 14 other Premier League clubs?

Not sure when I said we sold our soul? I said he didn't deserve to be sacked and he didn't, I have an issue with the fickle nature of English football that makes one fearful of developing great attachments to the manager of their football club and encourages them to accept blindly the dismissal of a manager regardless of how successfully they're doing the job asked of them.

I do, also, have an issue with the influence money has on English football, the disparity between football clubs' potential based purely on their history and the desire to maintain elite clubs, but I'm not boycotting the Premier League, or Sky Sports, or BT, or equally responsible organizations and neither is my football club - while we're talking about hypocrisy it'd be a bit hypocritical to happily watch Sky Sports News yet get irate about a slightly more distant embodiment of the exact same problem.

While I understand and completely agree with this point, personally with a young child at home and hopefully another one arriving within the next couple of years, this may be the only chance I have to see Leicester play in person for the next ten years or so. I am already planning a family vacation to come and do it the "right way," but this is a wonderful consolation for someone like me.

While I understand and completely agree with this point, personally with a young child at home and hopefully another one arriving within the next couple of years, this may be the only chance I have to see Leicester play in person for the next ten years or so. I am already planning a family vacation to come and do it the "right way," but this is a wonderful consolation for someone like me.

I don't think "see the right way" is even a relevant point. It's not like we're in some zero-sum game -- if they come here for a friendly, that's *one more time* we'd have to opportunity to see the club, perhaps one more than zero in any given year (if any given USA Fox isn't able to travel to see a real match).

I don't think "see the right way" is even a relevant point. It's not like we're in some zero-sum game -- if they come here for a friendly, that's *one more time* we'd have to opportunity to see the club, perhaps one more than zero in any given year (if any given USA Fox isn't able to travel to see a real match).

Right. And I of course am not deluded enough to think that seeing a friendly in the US would be the same as going to a game in Leicester. Obviously one option is far greater than the other. But for those of us over here, this is something we probably never thought would even be an option.

We'll definitely be playing some pre season friendlies abroad in the summer no matter how much people object so get used to it.The extra revenue and the chance to spread the brand is too good to turn down I would have thought that the owners would prefer a pre season in Asia but I suppose it depends on how much money is offered for how many games. 

The games against Quorn and the like are usually a mix of youth team and fringe players anyway.

We'll definitely be playing some pre season friendlies abroad in the summer no matter how much people object so get used to it.The extra revenue and the chance to spread the brand is too good to turn down I would have thought that the owners would prefer a pre season in Asia but I suppose it depends on how much money is offered for how many games. 

The games against Quorn and the like are usually a mix of youth team and fringe players anyway.

And how many video cameras the players want to take  :whistle:

We should knock them back and allow Spurs to take part.

We have a typical pre season schedule which has served us well thus far.

Quite agree.

Nothing quite like the likes of Quorn to prepare you for the champions league....

Why is everyone so against this? I see it as good for the club. Raise the profile which could lead to more international fans... Increased revenue... Longer term success. Plus we'd probably get about 10million just to take part- it's a no brainer

Pre-season should be used for getting the players up to fitness and the best place for that is in Leicester and pre-season games in and around the Midlands. If reports are accurate the quick turnaround of a pre season tour, community shield and the start of the season was the start of Chelsea's downturn and so the welfare of the players should be the primary focus of the pre-season rather than making a quick buck. You can't argue that they will be better rested relaxing at home with their families than in a hotel in downtown Philadelphia or whatever Californian backwater they'll be going to.

The financial implications could be turned on its head and maybe we should think about the likes of Quorn or Loughborough Dynamo who make decent reciepts when the youth team play there?

Archived