Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCtotheprem

Defensive midfield tips

Sounds like you need to work on your passing.

I'd also recommend working on your composure.

In all seriousness, best thing you can do is watch someone professional who plays that position, next Leicester game as much as you can, focus on Ndidi. See his positioning and look for the passes he's going to make as if you were him. You'll find you can add stuff to your game that way.

If you used to play centre back, I'd imagine you'd be a good defensive midfielder by nature. As in, you'll have good positioning and be able to spot danger. Personally, I find DM or AM the easiest positions to play, purely because you can drift a little more and anticipate situations.

I've been playing CDM this season for the first time too. Took a good few games to get used to it and I find it pretty boring honestly but I don't have much choice :rolleyes:.

Don't be afraid to play the simple pass. A lot of players try to do too much playing CDM and suddenly you are defending again. I think pick a couple of players who you think you could replicate to a certain level and just watch them during a game (Not Kante).

Carrick has a good series of about 4 parts about how to play the holding role which helped me a bit.

Two touches maximum and simple 10-yard passes is a good guide for a defensive midfielder - unless you know you've got time and space when you can be more ambitious.

With interceptions learn to completely relax and let your foot fall back slightly when the ball arrives - as if it were a cushion.

Achieving it is simple if you've got co-operative team-mates. Work in a two or, better still a three  in a small circle and keep the ball off the ground, The only way you'll be consistently successful is to cushion-control the ball and the nature of the practise means you get to plan quickly for moving the ball on.

Another method is to use a wall. Pass the ball into it at various heights, cushion the return and pass again. Vary the height of your passes so you have to use feet, knees and chest to control the rebound but allow yourself two touches with the second being the next pass. Progress should be rapid. If not, try golf.            

On 28 February 2017 at 21:25, LCFCtotheprem said:

I play Sunday league and regularly play defensive midfield. I am quite fit and a good tackler, but I'm not the greatest passer or have much composure on the ball.

I was wondering whether people had any tips for playing in this position form experience?

Couple of tips;

1.) be the teams lead talker

Start with simple shouts of "time" and "man-on" to other players. If your side keeps hold of the ball, you have less pressure on yourself in the DM role

2.) Keep looking around you

As a defensive midfielder, it's important to constantly know where players and the potential dangers are. Get used to have quick checks over your shoulders when the ball is in flight. 

This is is also useful for receiving the ball, as you're likely to know where you want to pass it before it gets to you - which is key given you'll likely to be put under pressure quickly. 

3.) Work on your touch - and be confident to take one

Work on receiving the ball with your back to the play and your first touch with both feet. Having a good first touch will hope open up the passing options for you - you'll find you're a much better passer after taking a good touch, because the balls under your control.

4.) Mix up your play

The DM role tends to require short simple passes to your full backs or fellow central midfielders, but don't be afraid to mix up your passing every now and then to prevent it becoming predictable.

The long raking diagonal ball in behind the full back should be in your mind every now and then, especially if you play with a quick winger / striker. 

Hope these give you some success - let us know who you play for / how you get on.

On 28 February 2017 at 21:32, LCFCtotheprem said:

I used to play CB but started playing in defensive mid as we have 2 good CBs. I feel I just need to practice my short passes and composure on the ball. 

Sunday league? You only need the long ball then. Provided you have quick striker.

Bang on DJ BH. Points 2 and 3 of DJ Barry Hammond's post above I'd argue are so so important in that position:

- look, feel and be aware of what is around you all the time

- practice practice practice your first touch.

I'd add another point to his which is:

- be brave in possession and practice holding off others and taking the ball in difficult positions.

All these things'll give you more time.

With more time passing kind-of takes care of itself -> as long as your teammates move off the ball!?!

Archived