Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Anyone got any good traffic apps on android? I use the BBC traffic website at the moment because it gives me a list of what roads are delayed and how severe it is and would prefer an app cus first world problems. Trouble with google maps is that you have to be a fvcking semi skilled cartographer to follow your route like fvck that just list out my problems for me. Any suggestions?

15 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Anyone got any good traffic apps on android? I use the BBC traffic website at the moment because it gives me a list of what roads are delayed and how severe it is and would prefer an app cus first world problems. Trouble with google maps is that you have to be a fvcking semi skilled cartographer to follow your route like fvck that just list out my problems for me. Any suggestions?

Waze.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Cheers bud looks similar to google atm but will have a go for a couple of weeks and see how i get on

it works quicker than Google as it updates in real-time down to it's peer-to-peer aspect - other members update traffic/accidents/jams as it happens and calculates routes more efficiently.

I was a bit skeptical of it in the same way as you but I tested my Google app while my mate had Waze open when we travelled to Leicester v Brugge few weeks back. There was an accident on M1 and took Google much longer to 1) recognise the accident 2) recognise the severity of it and 3) calculate a different, quicker route. Waze 'beat it' on all those aspects. Although only one journey it definitely had enough about it to make me download it and have it there for future.

Why does Shinji Okazaki feature so prominently in the official LCFC 2017 calendar?  

Discounting the cover,  Shinji is in 8 of the month pictures, Vardy is in 3, Mahrez in 4, Schmeichel in 1, Huth 1 and Kanté zero.

I mean, I love the little Japanese dude, but the calendar makes it look like he was the most important player last season. Maybe Mrs Okazaki put the calendar together.

Maybe we are going to sell all the other players.

By the way, the calendar is subtitled "a celebration of our historical [sic] premier league winning season", which really rips my linguistic knitting.

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Why does Shinji Okazaki feature so prominently in the official LCFC 2017 calendar?  

Discounting the cover,  Shinji is in 8 of the month pictures, Vardy is in 3, Mahrez in 4, Schmeichel in 1, Huth 1 and Kanté zero.

I mean, I love the little Japanese dude, but the calendar makes it look like he was the most important player last season. Maybe Mrs Okazaki put the calendar together.

By the way, the calendar is subtitled "a celebration of our historical [sic] premier league winning season", which really rips my linguistic knitting.

Maybe the calendar producers have been seduced by the Shinjismile

IMG_0493.JPG

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

He's not the feature player in every picture though, he just happens to be there a lot when we celebrate goals.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone on here a plumber?

Cold water tap in the kitchen wouldn't close Saturday night, as in the tap as tight as it would go and still a steady stream coming out of it. Had a plumber out this morning, he replaced the spindle and washer, it worked for a couple hours, then I filled the kettle and again there's a steady stream when the tap is tight off.

My knowledge of plumbing amounts to "it's probably the washer" but I can't see that'd have gone in a couple of uses so not sure what to try

Edited by The Doctor

13 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Cold water tap in the kitchen wouldn't close Saturday night, as in the tap as tight as it would go and still a steady stream coming out of it. Had a plumber out this morning, he replaced the spindle and washer, it worked for a couple hours, then I filled the kettle and again there's a steady stream when the tap is tight off.

My knowledge of plumbing amounts to "it's probably the washer" but I can't see that'd have gone in a couple of uses so not sure what to try

sounds like the kettle is the issue. 

15 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I'd be calling the plumber and telling him he hasn't fixed the problem. 

Sounds like it's more than a washer issue, something may be blocking the valve from fully closing.

Anyone know anything about tv sound cables?

I've got a Phillips surround sound system. Had it just over a year. Originally I had it wired into my sky box using the RCA cable, and my PS4 via an optical cable. I then suddenly had a brainwave and thought why don't I just connect it straight into the tv. So I disconnected them and connected the optical cable straight from the system to the tv. Now I'm getting sound dropouts at every change of scene in a tv show, or each time a new advert starts. Tbh I think I had this a bit when the PS4 was connected but it's less noticeable in FIFA. Is this just a thing with optical cables or do I need to tweak some settings?

8 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Anyone know anything about tv sound cables?

I've got a Phillips surround sound system. Had it just over a year. Originally I had it wired into my sky box using the RCA cable, and my PS4 via an optical cable. I then suddenly had a brainwave and thought why don't I just connect it straight into the tv. So I disconnected them and connected the optical cable straight from the system to the tv. Now I'm getting sound dropouts at every change of scene in a tv show, or each time a new advert starts. Tbh I think I had this a bit when the PS4 was connected but it's less noticeable in FIFA. Is this just a thing with optical cables or do I need to tweak some settings?

Dear Gmv69,

This phenomenon happens when the audio format for TV advertisement is different from that for TV programs. Therefore, when there is a transition between advertisement and TV programme, there is an audio format switch (PCM change to Dolby Surround and vice versa). This may generate a noise in some cases.

To prevent this unpleasant noise, your Philips device is designed to mute the sound output during the switch of audio formats. This is the reason why you notice the short moment of sound dropout.

To avoid this, set the audio output of your TV (or Set-top box) as PCM output. Refer to the user manual of your TV (or Set-top box) for instructions on setting the audio output.

copied and pasted from another forum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Dear Gmv69,

This phenomenon happens when the audio format for TV advertisement is different from that for TV programs. Therefore, when there is a transition between advertisement and TV programme, there is an audio format switch (PCM change to Dolby Surround and vice versa). This may generate a noise in some cases.

To prevent this unpleasant noise, your Philips device is designed to mute the sound output during the switch of audio formats. This is the reason why you notice the short moment of sound dropout.

To avoid this, set the audio output of your TV (or Set-top box) as PCM output. Refer to the user manual of your TV (or Set-top box) for instructions on setting the audio output.

copied and pasted from another forum.

Should have mentioned, I'd already tried the pcm thing. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: Scrap that. I did it on my tv, but not on the skybox, firestick etc. 

Edited by Facecloth

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Ah ok, no idea then. Is it thudding in and out?

I've sorted it now. You posting that from the other forum made me realise I'd missed the part about changing the settings on both the tv and devices. So cheers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I'm going to Bruges in march and getting the Eurostar from st Pancras. I live in ashby does anyone know where best to get the train to London from in terms of price?

probably from Leicester as it'll go direct to St Pancras and you won't have to change.

Think it'll only be about £15 to £20 max. And if you have a railcard then even cheaper.

14 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Cheers seems expensive though 

£14.50 is the cheapest advance fare from Leicester to London without a rail card. It's about £60 off peak if you buy it on the day. There's always the poverty option of a national express coach for about a fiver

Edited by separator
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I'm going to Bruges in march and getting the Eurostar from st Pancras. I live in ashby does anyone know where best to get the train to London from in terms of price?

Maybe check out the price of two tickets for the same journey - picking a station closer to London as the bridging point.

its a faff and not guaranteed, but you may find something cheaper.

5 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Might be worth looking at Leicester to Bedford/Luton/Luton Parkway, then changing to the Thameslink train there. Takes longer,  but still gets you direct to St Pancras in under an hour.

Guest seanfox778

Can you take a portable phone charger on a plane? If so, is it advised to put it in carry on luggage or hold luggage?

25 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

Can you take a portable phone charger on a plane? If so, is it advised to put it in carry on luggage or hold luggage?

Surely you won't be charging your phone on the plane, why not put it in the hold anyway?

Guest seanfox778
4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Surely you won't be charging your phone on the plane, why not put it in the hold anyway?

No I won't be charging it, just wondered if it'd be an issue because i know they can be a bit funny about batteries on planes, it can't be any different from a phone battery though. I'll just chuck in in the hold and hope for the best :thumbup: