Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

I have 2 questions.

1 - I am moving house soon and at our family home I have a virgin multi room box in my room, is there any chance this box will work in my new house?

2 - What is the best tv I can get for less than £500.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dunno about the best but I saw this advertised the other day at Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5389465.htm?tag=ar:tech-event:toppicks:5389465

Seems a very good deal. Leaves you a bit of money for a decent sound bar or speaker setup as the cheaper TVs always have shit speakers

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2016 at 09:23, Unabomber said:

I have 2 questions.

1 - I am moving house soon and at our family home I have a virgin multi room box in my room, is there any chance this box will work in my new house?

2 - What is the best tv I can get for less than £500.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Only if you have Virgin tv in your new house, and it's already wired for that room.

2. Get yourself on Richer Sounds, and take your pick. Choose one with as many HDMI ports as possible, usb slots, and try to get one with built in Freeview HD etc. There's a handy help guide on there for explaining the tech stuff too.

Edited by sphericalfox
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

What's more important to you in work, salary or job satisfaction?

Initially just having some form of income should be the most important factor when you're starting out but once you get to the point where you're able to command enough to live on (obviously different people have different opinions on what that means exactly - I suspect my own definition of the term is much lower than most people's) then doing something you enjoy with people who aren't arseholes becomes the priority.

• Like 1

The trouble with job satisfaction is how difficult to pin down and fleeting it is. Even the best jobs must get boring after a while, and shitty sounding jobs can often be a great craic. Unless you're oneof the tiny few who do a job they would do for free anyway then youre taking your chances either way so you might as well go for the money.

39 minutes ago, Buce said:

Sort of a combination of the two - enough money to do the things I like to do, with my job satisfaction coming from doing as little as possible to earn it.

I see nothing noble about work.

Me neither.

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Sort of a combination of the two - enough money to do the things I like to do, with my job satisfaction coming from doing as little as possible to earn it.

lol true.

You find wankers or plus/minus with any job. whatever equats to most money, least dickheads(not including myself of  course) and easiest workload sounds  good.

Having said all that im at a point  in life  where I'd  take a respectable hit salary wise to get the eff out of my  current job. lotto cant come in soon enough!

On 10/24/2016 at 14:12, Wymeswold fox said:

Time freedom and autonomy are more important than either of those for me - which is why I work for myself.

Most exit surveys that employers do point to the fact that money/salary is usually between 3rd and 5th in order of importance for most people.

Salary often comes below things like career advancement opportunities, relationship with boss/colleagues, confidence in company future and training/personal development. I see lots of companies offering more money and incentives to keep good people - but it's often just a sticking plaster and doesn't address the core issue that they're not happy in their work. Of course we all need enough to pay the bills, but I'd suggest it's job satisfaction that gets people out of bed in the morning..

• Like 2

I moved jobs recently doing less hours for a bit more money, the role is similar but instead of install commission it's service and maintenance. I'll be honest it bores the shit out of me and there's no pressure but I kind of miss it. Maybe I have to give it more time :fc:

On 10/24/2016 at 21:12, Wymeswold fox said:

Depends whats more important in your life.

When i was 20-35 money and status were the big thing, ive since realised that thats all shit and all that really matters is being as happy as you can.

• Like 3

On 10/24/2016 at 15:58, Buce said:

On 10/24/2016 at 16:37, Webbo said:

Me neither.

Oh come on Webbo ....    surely you must get some sort of satisfaction when the paint dries and you can stop watching it ??    :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Depends whats more important in your life.

When i was 20-35 money and status were the big thing, ive since realised that thats all shit and all that really matters is being as happy as you can.

Same I think, but I only started realising that when I couldnt earn much more.

Money does cause a lot of shit though.

I've never had a job that gave real job satisfaction.  My family dictates what I do these days, I have turned down lucrative positions because I didn't want to effectively our family lifestyle.  I'm currently looking for a job that gives me the same lifestyle but with more money, surprisingly there are quite a few opportunities.