Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claridge

John rudkin

Although I have supported the city for many decades, never really paid any attention to this Rudkin. Seems to have gone from assistant tea boy to Tom Hagen in about 15 years.

How many lads have actually made it from the academy? Heskey (before Rudkin?), King and Schlupp are all that quickly spring to mind.

Not sure what value he adds to the club, but maybe unfair as you dont know what goes on behind the scenes. Will have to pay a bit more attention towards him, but have to say a lot to prove for me at this level in the club.

Although I have supported the city for many decades, never really paid any attention to this Rudkin. Seems to have gone from assistant tea boy to Tom Hagen in about 15 years.

How many lads have actually made it from the academy? Heskey (before Rudkin?), King and Schlupp are all that quickly spring to mind.

Not sure what value he adds to the club, but maybe unfair as you dont know what goes on behind the scenes. Will have to pay a bit more attention towards him, but have to say a lot to prove for me at this level in the club.

There's been a fair few lower league players Dodds, Sheehan, Bolger, Parkes and now Hopper and Smith also. Sure there's plenty more

Oh and Liam Moore

No one knows how good Rudkin is as a DoF, it's all speculation.

I'm surprised however, with the recent success of DoF's and Technical Director's at Premier League clubs, we didn't try and attract someone with more experience and pedigree suitable for the position.

One of my old teachers at secondary school was a part time scout for us, and helped with the acquisition of Stearman. Apparently scouts are supposed to get a few quid when one of them finds a player who then signs a pro deal, and Rudkin cheated him out of it, saying it was all his work. Could have been sour grapes, but his son and Stearman were good mates

Bingo compare this CV to someone like Les Reed at Southampton.

This club has money it never had before, we should be appointed someone who thrive in the role. Promotion from within was a easy option.

Completely agree with this.  :thumbup:

I understand that a great deal of blame was laid at our previous DOF for our poor summer transfer activity last year.We all know we need new midfield players urgently. So its over to Rudkin. I will judge him on the player he brings in !

What would be worrying is if he's applying his efforts to sign players based on what he personally thinks of them as them as players, Instead of carrying out the wishes of the Manager  

And making sure we get the players the manager has identified.

One thing that interested me was Richard Keys' article after the Sunderland or QPR game, about Leicester. He even said himself "Pearson should get out while he can, there are people at the club who want him out and they'll catch up with him eventually" (this was one where he'd largely been praising him as well) - well, it happened. Might he have been on about Rudkin?

One thing that interested me was Richard Keys' article after the Sunderland or QPR game, about Leicester. He even said himself "Pearson should get out while he can, there are people at the club who want him out and they'll catch up with him eventually" (this was one where he'd largely been praising him as well) - well, it happened. Might he have been on about Rudkin?

Maybe seenitall is more powerful than we all thought  :ph34r:

Well he is DOF.

Perhaps Robbo should have been seen more, by most accounts (apart from Pearson, probably because he didn't get in the way) he was often pretty poo at negotiations. (expect lots of posts now about players Robinson got in)

I always thought Robinson's main role was helping clear out the shit Sven lumbered us with so Pearson could spend more time on the team itself. That was the impression I got anyway.

Maybe seenitall is more powerful than we all thought  :ph34r:

lol

Makes you wonder though.

This is ludicrous. The owners have appointed him. And the owners are the best thing to ever happen to the club. Are the fans against the owners because they sacked bloody nigel pearson

You are incredibly deluded.

No one can argue that the speed "deals" are progressed are painstakingly slow. There's a reason to this.

Again, I'm not saying they should be concluded within days but somewhere somehow it gets released and very often players do not want to play for us. I can't understand it. Yes, I do not see the ins and outs but there's a problem somewhere.

Watford/Palace even Bournemouth are on par with us in terms of stature but seem to progress things far quicker than we do. Watford's business this summer has been swift. I wouldn't say its the best way to do things - but they've set out a plan and proceeded.

The last time we have a good window whereby a players been linked, we've made a bid, agreed a fee and subsequently agreed terms with little or no fuss is Pearson's first full season back. I believe Andrew Neville was heading things up then regarding transfers - seems to be a respected negotiator.

The opportunity to invest in the right people at board level is equally important as investing in the right people on the playing staff. Nothing against Rudkin but the facts and the reality just do not add up. When he was appointed the club came out and said something along the lines of "he has some experience and dealt with SOME contracts at youth level."

I just think at times the club is being used as a learning ground for inexperienced people. In the championship fine. However, the premier league is a vicious environment behind closed doors - get the structure right and the rest will fall into place.

Completely the wrong way round for me. The Academy boys upto 16 are taught to play a certain way and are recognised by International call ups but as soon as they go into the 18/21 set up winning becomes everything and their development pretty much stops. Agree that winning football games is important but at what cost when really none of the fans give a toss if these teams win or lose ?

Foxhateram has been bombed out of our Academy at some point would be my guess ...

Rudkin was certainly not instrumental in Pearson getting the sack but it is fair to say they didn't see eye to eye for a long time although this changed towards the end. Not sure any Academy Director is going to be over popular when you think of how many players are released each year.

One thing for sure is he won't be pissed around by Agents, is as straight as they come and I would think in time he will make a good D o F

Couple of signings and I'm sure he will be back to being the best thing since sliced bread

Having watched several seasons of U18/U21 Academy games I certainly wouldn't say winning became everything.

Quite the contrary. It was a given that winning was important but it was also clear that attitudes on the pitch were not only excellent, but expected to be so.

What stunted progress was that the team ethic so clearly emphasised at under 18 level by Beaglehole and co became disjointed and inconsistent. The most blatant example was the inclusion of Mandaric's foreign legion, but there were others.

Some of the incomers were never given time to earn the respect of the established and aspiring U21's but were drafted/ordered(?) into the side with often dire consequences in terms of performance and results.   

All of a sudden, to the established youngsters, particularly those left out for no good reason, winning didn't seem that important if almost anyone could play.

And certainly some of those drafted in never looked likely to contribute to improved results.

Newcomers gave performances that suggested those in authority could have had no idea of their real ability, or lack of it. The idea of a meritocracy didn't seem to matter.

You rightly talk about the problem of an Academy Director's popularity being constantly under threat due to the negative of having to release so many players but all the more reason to be more selective and to make sure a higher proportion of students do come through and have the right kind of regular football in their more senior years to help them get through.

For me there wasn't enough of the right kind of football or sufficient consistency...as I said several times at the time.

The survival of our first team last season provides a fitting example.

It was achieved through team spirit above all. They showed that a winning mentality evolves best through players who have a bond together.

I ran under 16 and under 18 teams myself at one stage and hardly made a change in two seasons (thanks to the outstanding recruitment of the club secretary).

We drew one game (a cup final) and won the rest. No-one would have gate-crashed those teams unless they'd been brilliant and seen to be such beforehand. Not just because of the potential threat to results but to team spirit as well. Getting the shirt was an honour and privilege.

Too often that wasn't the case in the Leicester Reserves/Under 21s as the former Under 18's sought to move on. 

Indeed, just at the time when standards should have been raised still further, they were effectively lowered and the whole thing became much more a kind of lottery football.

For me, the club never provided the ideal setting for final development and the disappointing level of successful throughput only gave fuel to that argument.

Sadly, while I no longer follow Academy/Under 21 football and accept that things might have changed, I've seen no signs yet of a greater return or of our learning to provide an effective finishing school for aspiring professionals.

And yet there should be. With a much higher standard of senior player at the club the youngsters should be benefitting immensely. Maybe it is still early days and when the next two or three come through, others will follow much more rapidly. .      

John Rudkin played no part in the decision to remove Nigel Pearson from his position of Senior Team Manager.

It's well documented that they didn't get on though. This however wasn't a contributing factor to his exit.

John Rudkin played no part in the decision to remove Nigel Pearson from his position of Senior Team Manager.

It's well documented that they didn't get on though. This however wasn't a contributing factor to his exit.

Source?

Source?

You're just going to have too go with me on this one.

It's an Internet forum, even sources are debatable. For all we all know, you could be James Pearson. I could Mr Rudkin.

Who knows!?!?

And then again it might not, it might have been Susan Whelan, or Top, or Vichai, or anyone else of the 6 or 7 people with some power.

Archived