Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Vardy and England

Might stray off topic from Vardy but I really don't buy this "England team/English manager" mentality. I want this nation to WIN things. Not sit there crashing out early but thinking "yeah we had an English manager so overall we were morally superior."

Fact is we chaven't got anyone good enough. Pardew is pretty much the man we have, and that's it. Really? I can't say I'd be dead against him but if he failed who would you go for? Southgate as the cherry-picked man groomed for it? Come on. It's a terrible selection.

We may as well go and get it right. Capello was a disaster, hired on name alone. A Poch would be good, Mou would be interesting, but realistically it'll be someone mediocre and a yes man because the FA got their fingers badly burnt with the money they paid Capello.

Whatever the case, Roy needs to go. When we're out at the Las 16 stage he'll have had three tournaments and flunked them all, especially 2014. Stodgy, dull, uninspiring. I want a maneger who isn't afraid to drop the captain, isn't afraid to shake things up when necessary. Roy isn't that, he'll coasting in the job of his dreams.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3312406/Jamie-Vardy-moved-wedding-case-Roy-Hodgson-gives-call-Euro-2016.html

Jamie Vardy: I moved my wedding in case Roy Hodgson gives me a call for Euro 2016

Just get the feeling vardy is like the rebound gf. Gets used and then dumped just when things seem to be going well. I can see hodgson using him (friendlies only) and then last minute taking welbeck and co even though they havent proven worthy.

Leicester City head of recruitment Steve Walsh reveals story behind Jamie Vardy's fairytale rise

By Mercury_Sport  |  Posted: November 11, 2015

By Rob Tanner

• Mike Sewell11366895-large.jpg

Jamie Vardy celebrates scoring for Leicester City at Stoke

VIEW GALLERY

Comments (0)

The man who scouted Jamie Vardy for Leicester City has described the striker's transformation from a non-league player with potential into an England international as "a fairytale".

City's head of recruitment Steve Walsh has revealed the process that went into signing Vardy from Fleetwood Town in 2012, the decision to pay a record £1 million fee for a non-league player and the efforts of the City staff, including former manager Nigel Pearson, to nurture his raw talent and help him become the Premier League's leading goalscorer.

Walsh, who very rarely speaks publicly but is the man credited with unearthing such gems as Riyad Mahrez and previous City favourite Anthony Knockaert, as well as Vardy, told BBC 5 Live he had been watching Vardy from his days at Stocksbridge Park Steels in Sheffield.

"We had him tracked from the early ages when he had been released by Sheffield Wednesday. I think he didn't play football for round about three years, and then he joined Stocksbridge Park Steels," Walsh said.

•  

"We had one or two contacts in that region who watched him play and they said he wasn't bad.

"It is obviously a massive jump from that level to where we were at the time but he moved on to Halifax Town.

"Again, we had him watched and were still very impressed with his progress. He had obviously got better playing at the next standard.

"Then he moved on to Fleetwood Town in the Conference. At that stage it gets a little bit more serious but he did particularly well in those games.

Jamie%20Vardy%20signs%20for%20Leicester.

Jamie Vardy signs for Leicester City from Fleetwood Town

"I was then attracted to it and watched Jamie myself live. We were actually at Hull City at the time. I kept it to myself and then consequently we joined Leicester and we decided he was a striker we could take a punt on.

"We didn't expect to end up paying the kind of money we ended up paying.

"I probably saw him three or four times in total. I remember talking to Micky Melon at the time, who was the manager of Fleetwood, and he knew he was going to lose the player.

"He said he could be anything he wants to be.

"It came to fruition, although it was a big call to pay £1m for him."

NIgel%20Pearson%20Jamie%20Vardy.jpg

Jamie Vardy with former Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson

Walsh said it was then Pearson became involved and his association with Sheffield Wednesday, who Vardy supported, was a factor, as well as their desire to sign him, as they beat off interest from Southampton and Blackpool.

"He was a big fan of Nigel," Walsh said.

"Nigel lived in Sheffield and Jamie was a Sheffield boy. think Nigel was a bit of an idol for Jamie as captain of Sheffield Wednesday.

"I think he went to Nigel's house and that helped. He developed a relationship.

"Then when we got him into the club we showed him all the scouting reports and footage of what we knew about him, that it wasn't a punt in the dark. We believed he would be the player who made the difference.

"That made him feel wanted.

Jamie%20Vardy%20celebrates%20scoring%20a

Jamie Vardy scores against Manchester United last season

"If people feel they are wanted so much, and on another level I had that with Esteban Cambiasso last year, then they join you.

"That was the case with Jamie."

Walsh admits it hasn't been plain-sailing for Vardy but he is delighted how it has turned out for the former factory worker.

"He was immediately a valuable member of the squad, as he is now, but he did have his ups and downs and he struggled in his first year to get to grips with the standard," Walsh recalled.

"But he made a huge leap and Craig Shakespeare and Nigel deserve a lot of credit, because they encouraged him, as I did.

"What we did with him was to ask him to focus on what he was good at and forget about the things he was not so good at.

"He will make goals for other people because if you are a centre back playing against Jamie, he won't give you a minute's peace. He is always at you and I think he has been terrific for us, he really has.

"It is a fairytale and I am so pleased for him."

Jamie%20Vardy%20replaces%20Wayne%20Roone

Jamie Vardy replaces Wayne Rooney to make his England debut

Walsh revealed Vardy was so confident of his ability he had a bonus clause written into his contract when he first signed if he played for England.

"He was such a confident lad at that time he actually put in his contract when he joined Leicester City for a bonus if he became an England player," said Walsh.

"That is confidence indeed in terms of where he was and where he has got to. He actually picked that up in the recent past."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-head-recruitment-Steve-Walsh/story-28158006-detail/story.html#ixzz3rDK2jWoi 

Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

I hate to say this but I genuinely wish Vardy had Scottish grandparents. As McVardy He'd be loved and cherished wheras he'll only ever be a small cog in the England machine. Hodgson should have been ashamed of his exceptionally rude comments last week.

I hate to say this but I genuinely wish Vardy had Scottish grandparents. As McVardy He'd be loved and cherished wheras he'll only ever be a small cog in the England machine. Hodgson should have been ashamed of his exceptionally rude comments last week.

I could have swore it was you who was saying Hodgson 'tells it like it is'. Quite the backtrack.

Jamie Vardy should have been joined by two more Leicester City stars, according to statistics

By Mercury_Sport  |  Posted: November 12, 2015

• 11369864-large.jpg

Marc Albrighton

VIEW GALLERY

Comments (0)

Jamie Vardy should have been joined by two of his Leicester City team-mates in the England squad for Friday's friendly with Spain, according to statistics.

Vardy is hoping to add to his four caps so far under Roy Hodgson but according to EA Sports, who compile statistics on Premier League performances for the FIFA game series, Marc Albrighton and Danny Drinkwater should also be in the side.

They have complied their in-form England XI and Albrighton has produced the most assists by an English player with four, while he has the fifth best crossing attempts with 57.

Drinkwater has three assists and only Albrighton has better stats amongst the Premier League's English players.

Vardy, who has scored 12 times in the first 12 games for City this season, should be joined in attack by Raheem Sterling, who has the best passing accuracy for a forward of 86 percent, and Harry Kane, who has 19 shots on target so far this season, a stat only beaten by Vardy's 22.

Everton's Ross Barkley would join Albrighton and Drinwkater in midfield, while at the back Kyle Walker, Chris Smalling, Scott Dann and Aaron Cresswell are the top performing English defenders, according to the stats.

In goal would be Stoke City's Jack Butland who has the second highest save percentage of 81 percent, only bettered by Petr Cech of Arsenal.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Jamie-Vardy-joined-Leicester-City-stars-according/story-28162289-detail/story.html#ixzz3rHB7ZmtP 

Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

They have complied their in-form England XI and Albrighton has produced the most assists by an English player with four, while he has the fifth best crossing attempts with 57.

Hasn't he produced 5? Two against sunderland, one against West Ham and two against WBA. Or does the pass/cross for Mahrez' second goal technically not count because of the slight deflection? :huh:

Hasn't he produced 5? Two against sunderland, one against West Ham and two against WBA. Or does the pass/cross for Mahrez' second goal technically not count because of the slight deflection? :huh:

The criteria for an assist is a bit baffling, that is an assist all day long and if it's not recognised then they can fcuk off.

Probably gonna get slated for this but again I'd be very happy if Vards didn't feature for England this weekend. I think he's got a niggling injury, and could really do with a rest rather than playing in some bloody International friendly.

I think it's based also on I don't really give much of a shite about the International side at present. I'm no big fan of Hodgson's style of football, and don't want to see the Prem top striker being stuck out on the wing and all that nonsense.

Again, I'd rather him rest and be fresh for us if I'm honest.

Probably gonna get slated for this but again I'd be very happy if Vards didn't feature for England this weekend. I think he's got a niggling injury, and could really do with a rest rather than playing in some bloody International friendly.

I think it's based also on I don't really give much of a shite about the International side at present. I'm no big fan of Hodgson's style of football, and don't want to see the Prem top striker being stuck out on the wing and all that nonsense.

Again, I'd rather him rest and be fresh for us if I'm honest.

A part of me says he should stay and have a rest and another part says I want to see him play against Spain, regardless of where he plays. We shall wait and see.

Edit: Looks like I just got my answer!

England manager Roy Hodgson has revealed that striker Jamie Vardy is "unlikely" to play against Spain in Friday's international friendly due to injury. The Leicester City forward, who has scored 12 Premier League goals so far this season, is carrying a knock and is not expected to feature during the game in Alicante. In a press conference this afternoon, Hodgson said: "Jamie Vardy is struggling with a knock he picked up on Saturday, we are monitoring it but it is unlikely he will play tomorrow." The Three Lions boss has also confirmed that captain Wayne Rooney will sit out of Friday's match, but will start in Tuesday's friendly against France at Wembley. Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane is expected to start up front against Spain. Read more at: https://tr.im/6cGiI

Archived