Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Vardy and England

England's problem is we have no footballing identity.

We aren't Van Gaal type side, possession and attrition, we aren't a Wenger type side pass and move try and score the perfect goal, or a Klopp, high energy high pressing, Guardiola, tiki taka, with quick pressing when lose the ball and then drop deep.

We don't play fast counter attacking football, we don't have a couple of super stars to build a team around, we just have a team of 11 decent players, who just go out and play football without any real direction or purpose safe in the knowledge we have better individuals than most nations in qualifying, but we also know we will never beat a top nation as we don't have any x factor.

That is why Hodgson prefers Kane, because he is what he is, a centre forward, you play him up front and hope he sticks one in, he doesn't really know how to get the best from Walcott, Vardy, Barkley, Lalana even Rooney and he is making the usual mistake of picking the best 11 English players and trying to get them to play his way (uninspired).

You have two options, decide how you want to play and pick the best players for that formation, or pick your best players and find the formation that suits them. This is so evident with Vardy, if you are not going to play him in a way that allows him to run in behind and exploit the space behind defenders, just don't pick him, there are better left wingers out there, you would be better off picking Albrighton if you want someone to play like that.

That's not say Vardy has to play up front, he can play wide left as long as he is given license to play on the shoulder of the last defender and the midfield look for the ball in behind for him to run on to.

Fully agree with this. Amazes me how few see it. You'll then get the usual surprise when we're shown up for the mediocrity that we are in France.

Because this pretty much explains why people are so fed up of England - it's the same old shite getting picked because they play for a big club, and those performing well not getting a fair crack because their club isn't fashionable enough. Seeing Vardy get in is great, but seeing him being treated like just a space filler rather than the most in-form striker in the country is absolutely galling.

Should we really be happy with it? More a case of unhappy if he isn't in it (or utilised properly, which he won't be) for me.

Vardy shouldn't be grateful for being in the England squad this time. England should be grateful they've got a forward like Vardy - and yet they aren't.

No idea if this has already been mentioned but I had a quick read and couldn't see anything...

"Vardy's first four games for his country have not brought a goal, but that's not the whole story. In 202 minutes with him on the pitch, England have scored 10 goals without reply. From Stocksbridge to St George's Park, Jamie Vardy is a winner. Let's find out what Spain and France make of him" 

I'd never noticed this before, do we think he actually played a huge part in this or would the 10 goals have come anyway? 

Full article here.. http://www.skysports.com/football/news/18804/10061116/can-jamie-vardy-succeed-with-england-history-is-on-his-side

Does help that they were against San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia and Ireland though, even the Ireland one was only 15 minutes in the most drab game ever broadcast.

To give a bit of benefit of doubt to Hodgson, I think he does realise pace is our best way of getting results so he is trying to find a formation that suits that ( I know we all have the opinion of what should be) the only time we've had the opportunity to play this way was against Switzerland away and we were excellent. Its difficult to play like that against all the minnows we've played in qualifying since then.

Roy clearly wants his pace in the wide areas, be that Vardy, Sterling, Walcott etc

I do agree with this although my Spurs mate absolutely raves about Dier. Reckons he'll be huge for them and England, so might be something in it.

It's call ups like Delph over Drinkwater that get me.

I actually agree with Dier's call up, just not Hodgson's reasoning. Playing in a good team, so therefore keeping good players out is an odd why to go about selecting players and tells me he's not really looking at how well people are actually playing, or the type of player they are, he just assuming someone is good because they are holding down a place in a good team. 

Delph's call up in ridiculous though, there are numerous midfielders he could have called on let alone Drinkwater, who've actually played some football over the last two months. Even Lee Cattermole would be more worthy than Delph, at least he's stepped onto a pitch in recent months.

Just hope he comes back un-injured and un-brainwashed from Woy's dire style of play.

I find it so difficult watching England. Completely agree with Captain's post.

JV is all about passion, excitement & commitment, and all three are missing from England under Hodgson.

Jamie Vardy should stay at Leicester because as we know he takes a season to adjust to new surroundings and then becomes quality. If Man U or the likes bought him in January he'd need time to adjust but wouldn't be given the time we gave him. Should stay here and bang goals in imo

It's too late to get rid of him now.

Needs to be gone after the Euros though.

His comments, and recent selections have really wound me up. Giving Rooney the captaincy is also a pisstake.

Having said that, he has had a lot of injuries to contend with so maybe his selections can be overlooked - and we have been playing shit teams in qualifying. We are going to learn alot over these next two friendlies.

I want Roy gone, and have for ages. Trouble is we just cruised through the Euro qualifier group unbeaten, and so there's little incentive from the FA to give him the boot. That's all well and good until you realise our group was horrendous and we'll get turned over by a half-decent team.

His comments about Vardy "robbing" Kane/Rooney of their spot down the middle and that he should be grateful to play for England regardless pissed me right off. Guy's an idiot and needs to take up a pre-retirement job in Qatar or something.

I would be happy to see Roy go after the Euros, but who then? The best English manager around at the moment is Pardew, and he is too much of a bellend, get Neville in charge, maybe with an experienced former international manager as a mentor, English or Foreign, just someone to give him a bit of guidance.

I would be happy to see Roy go after the Euros, but who then? The best English manager around at the moment is Pardew, and he is too much of a bellend, get Neville in charge, maybe with an experienced former international manager as a mentor, English or Foreign, just someone to give him a bit of guidance.

nigel-pearson-leicester_3242639.jpg?2014

Why not Pochettino? Afterall, he's brought on or worked with a lot of the young English players in the national team. Kane, Shaw, Chambers, Clyne, Bertrand, Lallana, Dier, Alli, Forster, Townsend, Mason, Rose, Walker... that's a quite extensive list!

Vardy has to start up front against Spain, him and Kane up front together could be brilliant. Unfortunately Roy is alwaystrying to find a place for the passenger Rooney, but there's no point playing Vardy on the wing it doesn't suit his game at all.

Why not Pochettino? Afterall, he's brought on or worked with a lot of the young English players in the national team. Kane, Shaw, Chambers, Clyne, Bertrand, Lallana, Dier, Alli, Forster, Townsend, Mason, Rose, Walker... that's a quite extensive list!

Fair shout, but he isn't English, I wouldn't be adverse to it, but I would  prefer an English manager.

As for Pearson, we know he is the best English manager around, but the  FA don't.

Fair shout, but he isn't English, I wouldn't be adverse to it, but I would prefer an English manager.

As for Pearson, we know he is the best English manager around, but the FA don't.

Nowhere enough of a yes man for the FA! I'd love him to be given a chance but he'd never pick the likes of Rooney and co just to please the sponsors

Archived