Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Vardy and England

It is Roy's choice to play Vardy where he wants, but the way he has said it is very poor, and not for the first time, he dropped Sterling in it with his "too tired to play" comments. He should be protecting his players. The correct response is

"Vardy will play where I ask him to, wherever he plays he gives his all, and I expect the same against Spain, whether he plays up front out wide or comes off the bench".

Instead he has made Vardy look difficult and should count himself lucky to be there. Unless Vardy has been asking to play down the middle, which I doubt, he doesn't strike me as that sort of character, I think he, more than anyone, appreciates this opportunity and how fortunate he is wherever Hodgson decides to play him.

Disappointing comments from Roy, very disappointing.

Also even if Vardy has asked Roy to play up the middle, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as he's done it in a polite and professional way, in fact it'd a positive that a player is willing to approach a manager and be honest about his feelings, as long as the manager is good he should take it the right way.

Roy's comments prove he is not a good manager in general terms, and his football tactics have not moved the England team forward since he took over.

He only has the job because England are poor compared to 10 years ago. How he wasn't sacked after the world cup fiasco I'll never know.

Surely you must see the irony in this post?

1. Okay, I am discrediting Delph, but what I meant is I don't have an issue with him being in the squad.

2. Yes I do see the FA/Hodgsons way of thinking, however I just thing it's ridiculous and quite disrespectful!

I hope one of those two points were the ironic part you pointed out. If not, I'm lost!

Gareth Southgate appears to be doing a decent job for the younger side, up with new ideas and playing a flair sort of why.

Would be happy if he replaced Dodgson.

Wasn't the same said about Stuart Pearce?

Is Leicester's Jamie Vardy a flash in the pan? The City No9 has developed his game while retaining the rough edges that make him such a handful, says a former Foxes' centre-forward

By Alan Smith

3:51PM GMT 06 Nov 2015

comments.gifComment

Flash in the pan or top class talent? That sort of question may get asked a little more frequently when the form of Jamie Vardy is being discussed. The reason probably has something to do with the Leicester City striker’s roots, the fact he has come so far so quickly, from non-League football only three years ago to his heady position at the top of the Premier League scoring chart. Could his storming start to this season therefore be a slight fluke?

Reservations from some may also derive from the player’s raw style. Vardy chases the ball like a man possessed. He harasses defenders with a desperate urgency. It is like the 28 year-old is trying to impress in a trial, granted only a limited time to make his mark. Sophisticated performers aren't supposed to tear around like that. Candidates for the Golden Boot are usually more measured.

Mind you, Sergio Agüero wasn't playing for Stocksbridge Park Steels five years ago. The Argentine hitman has probably never had that sinking feeling of time running out, of missed opportunities - unlike Vardy, who is now trying to pack everything in to the years he has left. Doing it with great success, too. When Watford visit the King Power Stadium on Saturday, he will be endeavouring to score in the league for the 9th successive time.

But during the course of this spectacular run, it is important to say that Vardy has gone some way to dispelling the notion of a hungry scuffler simply enjoying some luck at the sharp end of an in-form side.

The lad from Sheffield has shown a great deal of character and an improving technique in these first few months; shown much more, in fact, than he did at the end of last term when, admittedly, he played a crucial part in Leicester’s great escape. Back then, though, it all felt like do-or-die stuff, backs-to-the-wall heroics that might be difficult to continue once the new season kicked off.

But not only has he continued it, Vardy has developed his game to become a more rounded player without losing the rough edges that make him such a handful, a little different from the norm. He is strong in the air and deadly on the deck once that burning pace has sent him clear.

He does love to smash it when the ball sits up nicely but we've also seen some clever curlers and sliders to beat the keeper.

As for England, it was interesting to hear Roy Hodgson try to quell ‘the hype’ surrounding the player. Hodgson knows that supporters love committed triers like this but he also knows that international football demands a great deal. Despite all the improvements, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hodgson regarded Vardy as more of an impact player from the bench than someone with the tools to shine from the start.

Vardy, for sure, has found it difficult to show his best form on the left flank where the requirements and responsibilities are so much different for someone forging a reputation by rampaging through the middle.

And my bet is that he will continue to cause headaches at Leicester for the next few years if he maintains this kind of tempo and desire. A flash in the pan? No, I don't think so. Not when it has taken him so long to reach this point.

I'm pleased Hodgson was questioned about this because outsiders have woken up to the fact that Vardy is best up front. This is peak time to be selecting him for that role- goalscoring wise, confidence wise, the effect on a team at the top level. By March (the next matches) he might've hit a rough patch and be out of form so why not give him the go now when he's probably in the best form of his life?

Also what's all this bollocks about “There is no doubt the qualities he has a football player are very useful. [And] They may be useful qualities for an international team.”

Am I going mad or is international football also a 90 minute game, with 11v11 and two goals at either end of the pitch? It's this constant preoccupation with trying to play 'international' football that makes the England team so crap to begin with. 

Totally agree.

Lets forget Vardy for a minute....

Lets say Kane, and A Mr Blogs come along, and create Records before November scoring at highrates and in form.

Hodgson, would be stupid if he plays Rooney at no9 as 1st choice in the 2 friendly games.

Rooney, we know or believe we know what he can do, with the present group of midfield players.

So it must be Prudent, for the future and the up and coming EU finals, to see what these 2 upstarts have in their locker, in the positions they are making their names in.

Hodgson, talking about new players being flexable is and only BS.

Cahill is a CB not a FB, Smalling could play RFB in an emergency but is a CB.Shaw, Clyne, Walker are FBs and never CBs. Mr Bloggs as played occasionally for his club on both flanks, but had more success going through the middle, in fact shown and proved like Mr Kane that is their n01, best position.

As an International manager its your job to chose proven players, who proved their right for selection, by showing talent in their chosen and again PROVEN position.Experiments can be done when certain players have 1st shown their potential and talent in thrir successfull positions.Its only fair on those individual players and just important the reputation of the team and how fans will perceive them.Experimenting at International level with newboys, is poor judgement and poor football management....or lets play Barclay and Wiltshire as CBs.

There are ,to be fair players who are Utility players, who can play through the field, but they still have their better positions where they give their best, as a utility position it can only be 2nd best and detrimental to the teams success, when spead over 3-4 positions.

It would be fair to mention, in all my years has a fan England managers, maybe more than most, have had to deal with an high nr of injuries to 3-4 of their top class players at one time.Then for me you play the next guy on the block and not ask a coincidental squad player to play out of position, not when its not forced like it would be in Int. Finals.

Now back to Vardy, Hodgson would most likely please, not club fans but all English fans ,if in these 2 friendlies he

would play Either a Rooney-Kane or Rooney-Vardy set up, even trying a Kane-Vardy permutation with Rooney sitting

behind. But FGS play kane and Vardy, the newbies 1st in their club roles...!!

Stop trying to be clever, by picking Utility players as 1st choice, or experimenting with players postions, we already

Automatically have others in the potential squad are ok in 1-3 postions.

Or are you Mr Hodgson scared that Kane and Vardy, could blow Rooney from the n09 spot.

If Kane went on a sensational run of form I'd reluctantly accept that he probably deserves it more than Vardy although I still see no harm in trying two up front. Call 4-4-2 dated all you want but we aren't a technical, slow-tempo side and we shouldn't try to be.

Rooney can score 8 this season and Vardy 30 and Rooney would still start up front for England. It's a disgrace. It's the kind of shit that actually makes England going out of tournaments no more upsetting than Leicester losing to Man Utd.

Ex Man Utd defender who Vardy left on his arse. What a load of shite.

In fairness squawkas business model is based around click bait headlines to increase their numbers.

It's a huge article built around a tiny quote where he actually says "premature" not "must"

Thats just the way things work now, even TSB and Lad Bible do it now too.

To be fair to them I do it in my job too and you'd be amazed the amount interaction increases when you write a link like that over "Jonny Evans says dropping Rooney premature"

Gareth Southgate appears to be doing a decent job for the younger side, up with new ideas and playing a flair sort of why.

Would be happy if he replaced Dodgson.

In fairness squawkas business model is based around click bait headlines to increase their numbers.

It's a huge article built around a tiny quote where he actually says "premature" not "must"

Thats just the way things work now, even TSB and Lad Bible do it now too.

To be fair to them I do it in my job too and you'd be amazed the amount interaction increases when you write a link like that over "Jonny Evans says dropping Rooney premature"

I get you. I still don't think it's premature though.

The whole sensationalism is the British media to a tee unfortunately.

Archived