Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

Crazy Stat Time!

50 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

This illustrates that we are experiencing what is  truly a golden era for the club.

Even without relegation to the 3rd tier, up until 5 years ago, most of the previous 40 years had been spent hopping between divisions, with some particularly bad times since the year 2000.  

In our previous few years of a much-lauded era under O'Neill, City were a bunch of plucky underdogs who liked a set piece and quickly fell away when key personnel left.

People really should appreciate this progress - all but a handful of clubs in the whole league pyramid would snap your hand off for it.

Hit the nail on the head there. The next step is trying to solidify the progress and make it sustainable. Fingers crossed!

12 hours ago, Vacamion said:

This illustrates that we are experiencing what is  truly a golden era for the club.

Even without relegation to the 3rd tier, up until 5 years ago, most of the previous 40 years had been spent hopping between divisions, with some particularly bad times since the year 2000.  

In our previous few years of a much-lauded era under O'Neill, City were a bunch of plucky underdogs who liked a set piece and quickly fell away when key personnel left.

People really should appreciate this progress - all but a handful of clubs in the whole league pyramid would snap your hand off for it.

A golden era that has already seen us win the league title... a little better than that so called elite top 6 side spurs I would say 

19 minutes ago, Sydney_Blue said:

Decline how? You do recall we finished 5th and reached a cup semi-final and a quarter final?

I also recall that we were 14 points clear and in a semi final vs a woeful villa team that we did the double over with 8-1 in aggregate.

However we bottled a Wembley visit and then threw away our chance to establish ourselves in the CL.

Its very unlikely we will finish above 8th again. Our best player and world class striker will slowly decline, we probably will lose Chillwell, Ricardo will struggle after such a bad injury(I fear he will never be the same) till will tell, Tielemens and Ndidi are key. Lose any of these and we could be dark horses for relegation.

Add to the fact with extra games in EL, it’ll be a better achievement to finish in the top 6 this year than finishing 5th last season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I also recall that we were 14 points clear and in a semi final vs a woeful villa team that we did the double over with 8-1 in aggregate.

However we bottled a Wembley visit and then threw away our chance to establish ourselves in the CL.

Its very unlikely we will finish above 8th again. Our best player and world class striker will slowly decline, we probably will lose Chillwell, Ricardo will struggle after such a bad injury(I fear he will never be the same) till will tell, Tielemens and Ndidi are key. Lose any of these and we could be dark horses for relegation.

Add to the fact with extra games in EL, it’ll be a better achievement to finish in the top 6 this year than finishing 5th last season.

That's pretty fuching gloomy.

Where did you predict we'd finish the season just gone?

On 02/08/2020 at 10:14, CloudFox said:

This is great to see, really gives us some more perspective. We're making gains, for sure.

On 02/08/2020 at 10:21, PrecociousFox93 said:

And to think it the picture included the five years prior it would show how unreal the past decade has been.

Sometimes I genuinely forget we finished 14th in our “Great Escape”! 

On 02/08/2020 at 11:12, Vacamion said:

On 02/08/2020 at 12:04, PrecociousFox93 said:

Hit the nail on the head there. The next step is trying to solidify the progress and make it sustainable. Fingers crossed!

Great to see some perspective on FT :appl:

And then....

12 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Time will tell if we’ve peaked. I’ve got a bad feeling last season was the start of the decline

We'll do well to match or beat fifth next season but that doesn't necessarily suggest there'll be a big overall decline.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

That's pretty fuching gloomy.

Where did you predict we'd finish the season just gone?

I thought we would finish 4-6th. I thought Spurs would get 3rd but was sure we would get above arsenal and pretty sure Chelsea would struggle. I thought 4th if we could get above Utd , 5th would be ok and 6th minimum requirement.

This season however I feel will be tougher for all the reasons I said above.

4th is impossible this year. We should be targeting 6th. That would be a great achievement and to be honest will be harder than getting 4th last season.

The top 2 are uncatchable, Man Utd are much better and adding sancho, Chelsea will be much stronger with their signings. Top 4 is locked this year, Spurs and Arsenal have also found form. Spurs will be a much tougher team under Mourinho and Arteta is improving arsenal And have some good kids coming through.

To break into the top 6 this year with that competition will be incredibly tough, that’s not negative that’s just realistic. If you offered me 6th now I’d absolutely snap you hands off. In reality we will finish 10-14th I think.

• Like 1

I agree to some extent about the league this season. I think it will be tougher than the last, mainly due to the fixture congestion. To stay competitive, we'll need to add a few more senior players so we can rotate without sacrificing too much quality, and a bit more luck keeping key players injury-free than the season just gone.

I agree - Liverpool and Man City are currently another level, and I think Chelsea and probably Man Utd will be a force. I reckon that's the top 4. Not sure about Arsenal or Spurs. They might get their act together, but it's not a given. Can see one or both falling short again.

The reason I thought your comment was gloomy was because you were worrying about so many bad things potentially happening. Vardy declining, Ricardo broken from injury, and losing Chilwell, Youri and/or Wilf. That's pretty pessimistic. It's extremely unlikely that all those things will happen, so there's no point worrying about it. I'm sure we'll be expanding the squad with an eye on Europe, so we'll be better equipped to handle injury/individual's poor form, anyway.

If everything went our way, I don't think 5th is out of the question, although I admit it's unlikely.

I'll predict 8th for now, but I can see us doing a bit better if we get the right signings done.

I'd be content with a mid-table finish and a good crack at the Europa League/FA Cup this season.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2020 at 22:38, Corky said:

Sky said they were the first, lies I tell you.

SKY TV IS FVCKING SHIT

I pointed it out on Twitter.

SkySportsStatto eventually deleted their tweet.

Maybe they were referring to "Championship" rather than "First Division" which we were at the time. Or maybe not.

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Maybe they were referring to "Championship" rather than "First Division" which we were at the time. Or maybe not.

Or maybe they’re clueless when it comes to knowing anything that isn’t yanited or Liverpool based ???

15 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

It's the same division though, just a new name. The Premier League, for example, is a different competition from the old First Division.

On 03/08/2020 at 17:17, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Great to see some perspective on FT :appl:

And then....

We'll do well to match or beat fifth next season but that doesn't necessarily suggest there'll be a big overall decline.

This is spot on. Spurs/Arsenal had what they would  class as poor seasons, never threatened the top four (or even top 6 for much of the season) but that does not necessarily mean they are in decline and going to be fighting relegation any time soon.  I totally agree that we will find it hard to repeat 5th next season, but as long as we are in or around challenging for European spots that will still be progress. One swallow does not make a summer, as we discovered after our title win, two or three successive seasons challenging however, is something that we have not achieved in the past and should be seen as a positive.  If we can achieve this then we will have truly arrived as a serious threat to the establishment.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sequel to the July post about finishing in every position in the top flight.  Here's the second tier version. We've nearly completed the set here too.

Leicester City's placings in Division Two (currently known as the Championship):

1          1925          1937          1954          1957          1971          1980          2014

2          1908          2003

3          1899          1907          1923          1970          1983

4          1895          1992          1994

5          1900          1910          1952          1953          1956          1996          2010

6          1936          1993          2013

7          1898          1906

8          1896          1982

9          1897          1922          1947          1948          2012

10         1912          2011

11         1901

12         1921          1924

13         1988          1990

14         1902          1905          1920          1951

15         1903          1911          1913          1950          1989          2005

16         2006

17         1979

18         1904          1914

19         1915          1949          2007

22         1991          2008

Let's hope we don't fill in those blanks anytime soon.

More on those two 22nd place finishes - 2008 was of course the season we were relegated to the third tier, 1991 was the Tony James goal v Oxford that kept us up and sent West Brom down.  Our other narrow escape was 1949 - we went to Cardiff for our last game and needed a draw to stay up and send Forest down. Apparently half the Cardiff crowd were cheering for us after our Cup heroics that season. It's the game that Ken Chisholm (our forward) claimed was fixed, with both sides agreeing to play out a draw - see Simon Inglis' book Soccer In The Dock