Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest CityFan 06

Simpson

He put in an incredible cross to Slimani in the second half! Maybe he has that in his locker too?

Dont get me wrong I don't want him to become a buccaneering full back because changing them last year was pivotal to tightening up. However, we do often get an overload in the final third and Fuchs on the other side has shown he has class delivery. 

Anyway super dodgy haircut but good player! Very consistent and committed. I also think having Hernandez to challenge him has raised his game. He missed our first two CL games but he has reacted well. 

We we need a chant for him!

Just now, evil jack said:

He really took his chance when Ranieri put his faith in him in over De Laet.

It's bizarre, but he is generally considered to be such a poor player by most fans of other clubs - not that we should be bothered....

I've heard a lot of that from opposition fans too and I don't get it. They seem to be basing it solely on his red card against Arsenal last season.

He's been outstanding for us over the past 12 months.

One of my favourite Leicester players. Granted he may not contribute with an abundance of goals but defensively he is our most consistent defender and is nearly always reliable. 

Like someone else said he's having a great season and probably 3rd on like for player of the season! 

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I've heard a lot of that from opposition fans too and I don't get it. They seem to be basing it solely on his red card against Arsenal last season.

He's been outstanding for us over the past 12 months.

The reason other fans don't particularly rate him is cos he's had a below average career up until 2015/16. He was average at QPR and Newcastle. He's almost 30 as well.

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

The reason other fans don't particularly rate him is cos he's had a below average career up until 2015/16. He was average at QPR and Newcastle. He's almost 30 as well.

Iirc he was excellent for Newcastle in the season they finished 5th under Pardew and a lot of their fans were calling for him to get an England call-up.

He's had an up and down career but he has shown the potential in the past to reach the consistent level he has for us.

I think someone else put it perfectly, he seems like a player who's realised he's wasted his potential in the past and is really knuckling down now to try and make the most of his career.

21 hours ago, Fox 4 Life said:

There is no coincidence in how much more solid we have looked the last 2 games with him back in the side. He is absolutely quality as a defender, shit going forward but does his job to a tee

I actually think we saw yesterday that he can play when he gets forward-put in a couple of decent crosses as well as some tidy short passing. It just doesn't happen often as Mahrez can't cover for him...

Not a flashy defender, but clever in his movement and understanding of the game.

Seems to have got over his strain that caused to miss a few games, and the 'grappling' issue isn't as obvious as a few games ago. This is a title winning back four, and if we can give them better protection we still have a good set up.

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Simpson is one of the ones who gets very little stick from me this season. He's a limited footballer but he's actually a very sound full back defensively, which is becoming rarer and rarer.

That's the thing. He's not a wing back.

There is a very long thread on a Newcastle forum and a lot of the complaints were about him going forward.

He sits back with us because Riyad isn't the most defensive minded but he does the job and defends exceptionally well.

2 hours ago, Livid said:

That's the thing. He's not a wing back.

There is a very long thread on a Newcastle forum and a lot of the complaints were about him going forward.

He sits back with us because Riyad isn't the most defensive minded but he does the job and defends exceptionally well.

I think England could do worse than calling him up, but there's no point in them calling him for games against sides like Slovenia and Malta where we are likely to dominate. I can fully understand Clyne or Walker getting the nod against those pair.

But against someone like Spain or France, I'd genuinely go with Simpson, for reasons aforementioned - he's a lot more defensively sound than either of those two and he knows his limitations. He is more suited to playing in a more rigid back line, and against teams like those, we should play one - because we haven't got the personnel to outplay them.

The fact a lot of people simply laugh off the suggestion once again boils down to our bizarre arrogance, and it's that arrogance for me that is our undoing. We think we're too good to pragmatically play a more defensive game, even if it would suit us against certain opposition.

Another example of this arrogance in my eyes was Gary Neville on the Iceland game last weekend. "We genuinely didn't see what went wrong" implying that the whole thing was a freak. Now yes, England losing to Iceland would've been deemed a freak result at one stage, but can anyone hand on heart say they were THAT surprised by it? Anyone who had watched both sides throughout the group stages cannot possibly have been that surprised at the fact Iceland won. Yet the England hierarchy couldn't see it. They go forward thinking it was a one off result and that we'll be alright in time. I don't profess to be an expert on the sport but if the two sides were to meet again in Russia I wouldn't confidently say England will win.

Anyhow I've gone well off on one here so I'll leave it at that lol 

He should've been considered with England more this year as he rarely made poor mistakes, though Clyne seems more quick and athletic whilst very confused why Glen Johnson has returned for consideration.

He'd be a good defender for England to bring on and protect a league but these days most international teams like their full backs to produce something- attacking wise and that's what would get him counted out from a starting 11...

On 22/10/2016 at 19:30, Tuna said:

You get the impression he genuinely loves the club.

This. Love the way he celebrates every goal we score. Gets to the scorer or the group to jump on top with a massively joyous smile on his face. There is no doubt he loves playing for us.

Hold my hands up and say I thought Simpson was our weakest link and thought we would bring in a RB last Jan. Since then he has hardly put a foot wrong. Credit to him as he seems to have finally reached his potential and knuckled down. Our most improved player by a long way and he should have been in the England squad when Southgate called up Glen Johnson. It seems like he found his home with us. To be fair he had a good spell at one stage with Newcastle.  He clearly loves being here. Great season so far. 

It's been a match made in heaven in all honesty. His carerr was pretty much resigned to championship level at best and I was surprised we went for him but he's been solid. You don't get anything spectacular attacking wise from him but the lad knows how to defend 

Archived