Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The whole world smiles

The Return of Matty James

Looks like we'll have to wait until next season to see him then. The noises from Barnsley are very encouraging.

I think we also owe the Tykes some debt of gratitude for taking a chance on a guy who was coming back from a very long injury layoff. It seems to have benefitted all three parties rather splendidly.

He could be right back into the thick of it next season. A fully fit Matty James could be a real asset for us and I think he will be ahead of Amartey and King in the pecking order, perhaps Mendy as well.

It'll be interesting to see if Barnes can get a game before the end of the season after he comes back. I think MK were playing him in a different position that we had been as well weren't they (centre mid for us, wing/forward for them)?

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, whitlock said:

Any chance that he will be involved in the last two games? Is he eligible to do so?

Neither James or Barnes can play for us. CS confirmed so himself.

James isn't registered as a squad member at the 31st of Jan.

Barnes loan spell covered until the end of the season including play-offs had franchise made it, so can't play for the 1st team but is/was allowed to play for the u23's. Shakey commented he felt that rule needed looking at.

Good stuff, was wondering if the injury would affect him mentally as much as physically. Sounds like he's done very well at Barnsley and it wouldn't shock me to see him move ahead of King (possibly Mendy if he doesn't go back to France?) and be fighting for a starting spot in our midfield.

Great to hear he's going to be given a fair crack at it anyway. It's great to hear our players doing well on loan and becoming important players for their teams.

8 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Surely when a player's loan contract ends then he should be available to his parent Club. The rule definitely needs looking at.

All about registration windows, it next opens on 9th June. I agree though, when these lads have been playing in a different division, why can't they come back and play for our first team!? No direct impact or agenda there whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Shakez will definitely give him a good chance next season. I still think we need to sign another CM on top of this. Probably means King wont make the bench though. 

If we are serious about challenging the top 7 this needs to happen. However we'll have a bit of a conundrum if we sign another CM as that'll give us 7 CM options.

Mendy & Amartey out?

7 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

If we are serious about challenging the top 7 this needs to happen. However we'll have a bit of a conundrum if we sign another CM as that'll give us 7 CM options.

Mendy & Amartey out?

Forgot about Mendy to be honest lol I figured Amartey will go out on loan or be used as a defensive backup. 

2 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Forgot about Mendy to be honest lol I figured Amartey will go out on loan or be used as a defensive backup. 

I love james. ... i am reaaly hoping to see him back.

However there is risk here. We cant know how things will work out.  Amarty ndidi abd drinky are our best three cms.  We need depth.  We should keep them all and then we wouldn't  have to  rely on a semi fit drinky when things are tough

I really hope Amartey isn't mentioned as a midfielder by this point next year. Honestly, we may as well play Wes in centre mid if we're going to play Amartey there. He's a central defender, play him there, let him improve in his position.

Ideally we'll have Drinkwater, Wilf, James and another new guy all gunning for starting spots next season. King can come in if any need resting. Though with 4 decent midfielders his chances of minutes will diminish I'd imagine.

47 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I really hope Amartey isn't mentioned as a midfielder by this point next year. Honestly, we may as well play Wes in centre mid if we're going to play Amartey there. He's a central defender, play him there, let him improve in his position.

Ideally we'll have Drinkwater, Wilf, James and another new guy all gunning for starting spots next season. King can come in if any need resting. Though with 4 decent midfielders his chances of minutes will diminish I'd imagine.

The club evidently don't rate Amartey at centre half, the fact we're shoehorning Fuchs in at LCB whilst Huth and Morgan are out highlights this. I think if Mendy doesn't go in the summer then Amartey's days are numbered here.

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The club evidently don't rate Amartey at centre half, the fact we're shoehorning Fuchs in at LCB whilst Huth and Morgan are out highlights this. I think if Mendy doesn't go in the summer then Amartey's days are numbered here.

Yeah I think you're right. I hope we move him on if that is the case. No point having him waste a spot in the squad if he's not good enough. Especially with him being a young lad, he'll need and want game time.

41 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

given the lack of midfield cover maybe Shakey felt he couldn't use Amartey there, certainly not tomorrow

41 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The key thing Shakey talking about when moving Fuchs over was experience. Amartey hasn't got that experience in our backline that Fuchs has, even at CB. The least risky option was to just shift Fuchs across rather than throw Amartey to the wolves. Against a lesser team it would probably have been seen as less of a risk.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The key thing Shakey talking about when moving Fuchs over was experience. Amartey hasn't got that experience in our backline that Fuchs has, even at CB. The least risky option was to just shift Fuchs across rather than throw Amartey to the wolves. Against a lesser team it would probably have been seen as less of a risk.

Maybe so but we definitely seem reluctant to use him, let's face it we're safe and yes there's money to play for but I don't a better scenario where Amartey get's a chance there next season? We'd need every single defender out for it to happen. Ranieri didn't even try him there against Millwall, preferring Wague and Benalouane. As a right back I don't see much potential either really. It's a shame as I think there's the ingredients of a very good player, not sure he's a midfielder though.

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Well he'll be playing CM tomorrow

Archived